Feel free to fight me on this, but 20 bucks says the next time someone roughs Neil up on the court, the first person to knock that son of a bitch out is gonna be ya boi Matt Boyd, Neil Josten Protection Squad Chairman and President.
im like 99% certain this exact scenario has happened on at least 3 separate occasions:
Barista: That’ll be 5 bucks please. Steve: 5 bucks? Dammit, I only got one. Bucky:….did you just…no, you have none, im going home i can’t be seen with you after that Steve: it’s funny because his names Bucky Barista: right…so are you gonna pay for this, or?
Intro: Hello and welcome to Kaity’s heart in post form. If you need me, I am currently 600 kilometers deep in the Scotty trashcan, with no sign of escape (not that I want to). So please enjoy all my feelings out in the open. This fic ended up being 7,500 words long so I split it up into multiple parts. Some are long, some are short. All are good. I hope.
Pairing: Scotty x reader (and best friend!Jim Kirk)
Warnings: totally 100% fake engineering everything, (I was too lazy to actually come up with proper terms so I just made up words), eventual injury, swears.
Summary: So basically the starting point for this fic was Scotty x reader who loves engineering as much as he does. So that’s where I went with this fic. You are second-in-command engineer and Scotty one day ends up being in charge, much to your chagrin. You butt heads. Scotty gets hurt. Feelings get hurt (mostly my own). Welcome to my trashcan.
“So you’re saying you would never have sex with me.”
“James Tiberius Kirk if you were the last person on earth I would copulate with a turtle before I even considered you.” You deadpanned, strapping your tool belt to your hips as you got ready to leave and turned to the frowning Captain who was leaning against the door frame.
“Really funny.” Jim griped sarcastically, and you sauntered up to him, swinging your hips in just the right way, and you saw his eyes fall and he shook his head.
“It’s only funny because it’s true, Jimbo.” You reached up and slapped his cheek twice, flashing a million dollar smile before pushing past him.
“You know, this means I owe Uhura 5 bucks.” Jim called as you made your way to the engineering room.
“That’s your own fault, you idiot.” You called back, laughing as you turned down the next hallway, finally out of his sight.
“Hey, Bobby!” You shouted as you entered the automated doors, instantly smiling at the comforting smell of metal and sound of whirring machinery.
“Lass, what’s with all the yelling?” An unfamiliar voice sounded from somewhere in the room and you leaned over the railing to look down and saw a man in a red shirt looking up at you.
Suddenly, a hard hand clapped you on the shoulder and you nearly jumped out of your skin.
Spinning around you saw Jim again and scowled, taking a few deep breaths to calm your nerves.
“Yeah, Bobby doesn’t work here anymore.” Jim said matter-of-factly.
Your jaw fell open in disbelief, “What!?”
“He had to take sudden leave for… reasons, and this is his replacement. Get up here Scotty!” Jim yelled and you continued to look at him incredulously.
I am always finding ways to save money. In order to comfortably treat myself, I have to care for myself. Providing food for me and my little family (my best friend and our pets), getting new clothes (people say clothes aren’t important, but they are. You wear them every day), making sure I have gas in my tank, cleaning products, and products to maintain a good hygine.
We have a lot of priorities. Sometimes we may not be able to buy that foundation, or that book, or that lotion. We would NEVER lift it. There are ways to obtain free products without shoplifting, you know.
1. Want that new book? If you cannot find a copy online (inb4 torrenting is illegal, you can get some books free online. I got the monstrosity known as “Stones to Abbigail” for free via amazon), go to your bookstore. Buy some coffee or a snack if you want and read it there. You may not finish it in one day, but tomorrow or next month you can come back and finish it. Just write/save the page #.
2. Want that makeup product? Ask for a sample! They are happy to give you one. Lush and Sephora give me samples all the time. I actually got samples frequently of this hair stuff from Lush until I was able to afford it.
3. Want to lift that pet? DON’T. So many animals are running wild, waiting to be rescued, or were abandoned. I got my last two cats for free, because they were kittens roaming the streets. You don’t need to go to a pet store and steal a cat/dog and throw it in a bag. Also, if you are willing to lift an animal, then DON’T GET IT. Medical bills, shots, fixing, food, toys, ect are all a part of raising an animal.
4. Don’t lift food. Just don’t. Instead, take on the hobby of couponing. Watch a few episodes of Extreme Couponers. I’ve seen people get 400 dollars worth of groceries and it comes out to be only 15 bucks. Also, Dollar General is your best friend. I once got a month’s worth of groceries for 22 dollars.
5. Just because you were not arrested, does not mean you weren’t caught. A business I was working at last year got their tip jar stolen. They couldn’t even access the video footage because the owner had the codes to get in, and he was having a life-threatening surgery. But we knew who did it, we knew the car, we knew everything. People did this often to us, because it was literally just a bucket. The owner wouldn’t get a steal-proof one for some odd reason. We mentally 86′d them though. And why would yo want to be 86′d from a place? You can’t buy from them anymore, especially if its a local business.
Hi guys. I highly doubt any of you are actually going to do this, but…
I am desperate. I have no money for food or for gas. I hate, hate, HATE asking for money, but I have no choice. So I’m going to be taking money for commissions. Just something small to get me through to my next paycheck, where everything SHOULD go back to normal and be stable for me to survive.
(It’s a long story how I got into this mess, but if you genuinely want to know I can send the details)
But here’s the deal: I art. Not great art, but I do art. Mostly dragons. I struggle drawing humans on tablet, but it can be done.
What I can draw:
Humans, but only headbusts.
I’ll do something small so like… A colored and shaded headbust for 5 bucks? If that’s too high I’ll lower the price I just need gas T_T
Please please even if you can only do a dollar I’ll make something small. You can private message me on here or just message me on Discord. I’m Reaper#1884
I’m gonna try taking photos of all my displays from now on and keep them here as a way of recording my progress, I plan on upgrading from poles to photo backdrop display soon so I’d like to see how I can work that out! I’ve been doing cons for 5 years but I’m still learning new ways to improve everything.
Today I went to my old high school’s teeny little anime convention (maybe 100 attendees?), I thought my display looked pretty alright for how much I had to downsize since it’s only a 5 hour event haha, so here’s my table and booth babe ;)
I never expect to profit at this con but I always make a few bucks and the free food is a bonus, got a lot of drawing done while sitting around too!
After a few days, curiosity got the better of him and he decided to ask
Steve about you. Bucky waited until you
left the room before turning to Steve.
“Is there some reason why you haven’t introduced me to the new girl?”
“What are you talking about, Buck?” Steve asked in confusion.
“The new girl,” Bucky repeated.
“Really pretty, kinda shy. She
just walked out of the room.”
“Bucky,” Steve responded, concern in his voice. “Wanda and Nat are the only female Avengers
in the compound.”
“You’re serious, aren’t you?”
“Bucky,” Steve began as he laid a
hand on his friend’s shoulder. “I’m a
little worried. If you’re seeing things
that aren’t there, maybe we should go let Wanda take a look inside of your
Bucky brushed Steve’s hand off of
his shoulder. “Absolutely not! That poor girl has spent entirely too much
time in my head. You saw how it was
affecting her in Wakanda. I won’t put
her through that again. Whatever this
is, I’ll figure it out on my own.”
hello, my name is allen and i live with my friend jasper. we live together and even though my parents have helped from time and time again, they cant always do too much. so thats why im asking for commissions!
- for our money situation, jasper has been making some alright money. but, it ALL goes into bills, rent, utilities, and food. though paying for the bills and rent give us little to no money for food we can grab. even at the dollar store (which is now our best friend) - i havent been able to get a job because i have no ID yet, i dont know how to drive, and im surrounded by places that only accept 18+. i feel i may never be able to drive due to my very very bad eyesight that not even brand new glasses could fix - we would like some money for food as we only have 20 bucks to feed both of us (which isnt much) and all the money jasper recently got is going right into rent and bills
1) Sketches: Torso up - 1$ | Full - 2$
2) Lineart: Torso up - 5$ | Full - 6$
3) Flat color: Torso up - 6$ | Full - 7$
4) Shaded: Torso up - 7$ | Full - 8$ | With a background - 9$
5) Character ref: OC you own - 9$ | Create an OC*** - 10$
6) More than one character: Just add a dollar to the original price
*** : I will create an OC for you to keep as your own. You just have to tell me what you would want (a humanoid bug OC, an ice cream bunny, a fandom-related OC, I’ll even do lovechildren). Everything will be kept ambiguous for you, unless you tell me exactly what you would like them to be presented as.
It’s okay if you pay over the original amount. I had some people ask if it’s fine so I wanna get it out of the way saying we really appreciate it! You don’t have to or need to however.
I will not draw the following
Smut, NSFW, or explicit nudity
Realistic animals or just anything realistic. I can’t draw non-humanoid animals well
Incest, pedophilia, abuse, or sexual assault
I will draw the following
Any fandoms (unless it’s something I have bad memories with, sorry)
Part Two Summary: You are conflicted over your feelings for Bucky and he tries to show you how much you mean to him, but it doesn’t exactly go to plan.
Pairing:Bucky Barnes x Reader
Warnings:language, angst, arguing, Bucky being smooth af
A/N: I’m completely blown away with the response for this so far! Thank you all so much for the wonderful feedback! Sorry this part is so short, but it fits with the outline for the series.
It’d been a week since your last after hours encounter with James, the same night he completely stunned you by telling you he’d change his ways for you.
At first, you thought it was mostly the post bliss haze of the honestly amazing sex you’d had with him, but throughout the past week he’d kept completely professional with you, solely focusing on work chat and nothing more.
You hated to admit it, but you missed him. Missed the flirty comments, the intimate moments, the way he’d make your stomach flutter in excitement.
i got some sweeeeeet wood at the reptile expo today i’m so bummed i didn’t have more money i could have gotten so much wood, this guy was giving away huUUUUGE beautiful drift wood pieces for only 5 bucks each!!! so hyped to give them too my snakes
First lift (a while back) takes positive toll on my depression
So I just wanted to share a bit of personal info for the few followers I do have. For the past 10-12 years I have suffered in and out from depression. My stress and anxiety levels were through the roof. I wasn’t sleeping, I was constantly aggravated and I was driving everyone away. Most of my stress routed from money problems. I came from a split home with minimal income. I learned quick that If I wanted something I had to work for it. So I got a job at 15 and worked 5 days a week for the next 7 years. My life felt like a never ending cycle of giving my all to corporations that would never care for me or treat their employees like family. I was able to barely pay my bills but couldn’t afford to go out with friends or keep my clothing trends up to date. I remember I wanted to go out with my boyfriend so I went to target to find something reasonably priced. I must’ve tried on a million things. But the only top I liked was almost 30 bucks and I only could afford something for $15. My eyes started to tear because no matter how many bills I paid off it seemed like something was always keeping my money tied up. Hospital bill paid, then My car engine light would come on. Rent paid, then I’d have to take my cat to the vet. This really only fed the depressing thoughts of truly hating myself inside and out. I sat down in the dressing room, wiped my tears and refused to let the same bullshit problems get to me yet AGAIN. Infuriated, I ripped off every tag I could find and stuffed the shirt in my purse. Terrified, I left the store, but the moment I was in my car I felt a liberation I had never felt before. A freedom from my depression I had never known. True release. From then I decided I would research better tactics and that’s how I found my liftblr home. Today, my depression is only a fraction of what it was. For the first time in my life, I can spend my money how I want on things and want and haul whatever else comes to mind. I don’t feel trapped or limited the way I used to. The rush of lifting now is just a plus. Lifting is truly the medication my doctor could never prescribe. I’ve been so happy for all the help I’ve found here, I’ve got Nothing but love for my fellow lifters and for anyone else out the suffering with the effects of depression. If anyone with depression is reading this please know you are not alone. Everyone’s problems route from different issues but this has truly become an eye opening community and I’ve so lucky to have found it. ❤️❤️❤️
OKAY SO I SAW THE NEW HALO 5 VIDOC AND WHEN THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT HOW BUCK "basically bolted on parts of his old ODST armor" (onto his MJOLNIR) I CAN ONLY IMAGINE THE TALK HE HAD WITH THE TECHNICIANS WHEN THEY WERE SETTING HIM UP WITH HIS KIT
Okay sir, time to suit you up. What's your flavor? Coms? CQB? Your file indicates that you favor the MA5 series of rifles.
Got anything that looks like a Helljumper's BDU?
Well...the helmet and HUD of the ODST standard issue BDU does incorporate some tech first used in the MKIV but-
Great. Just slap some of that spartan tech in a Helljumper suit and I'll be good to go
Sir it doesn't work like that. The gel layer alone-
Look, I know it doesn't work like that. But is there /anything/ you can do? I mean, come on can you honestly see me in one of those Spartan rigs? Once a Helljumper always a Helljumper.
Sir I'm afraid there isn't much I can do...there hasn't been and ODST varient of MJOLNIR since the MKV and even then it was purely cosmetic to allow for easier integration between Spartan and non spartan personel...
Fine fine. Can't wait to tell Veronica. 'So turns out they didn't have a suit in my size and the tailor, for whatever reason, couldn't do much about it. Oh well.
Wait, sir? Veronica Dare? Okay, no. I'll see what I can do. H-Helljumper, right? I'll get on the line with Section Three and see if we can get you a suit to meet your needs. Haha. Not to worry sir.
Great! Pleasure doing business with you. See you in hell.
Just how we ODST say 'goodbye.'
Oh. Alright then...(god damn. Spartan Palmer wasn't even this much of a handful)
•"No! You can’t mix those chemicals together, they’ll-“
• “Quit trying to woo me with your lame jokes; we have a project to do.”
• “Yeah um… Thanks for catching that basketball before it hit me.”
• “Homework buddies?”.
• “You and I are the only ones who take this class seriously, so partners?”
• “This is vandalizing!”. “It’s writing our initials on a broken desk, chill.”
• “I’m so lost, please help.”
• “ Stupid freshma-.“ “I’m a senior so shut the hell up.”
• “Bet you can’t beat me in the pacer.”
• “Just get the flipping burger and stop holding up the line!”.
•"You need to train me before the season starts or I have no hope of making the team.“
• “Please, I need the answers for 1-10, just this one time.” “Oh so the future Yale alumni didn’t do their homework?”. “I’ll let you cheat off my test.” “Fine.”
• “I’ll give you my last stick of gum in exchange for the WiFi password.”
• “Whoever is making the locker room smell like lilacs, tell me what you’re buying.”
• “You need volunteer hours for National Honor Society, please just tutor me.”
• “Five points off for neatness, what the heck!”. “Have you seen your handwriting?”.
• “Meet me behind the school after class.”
• “Excuse me, would you like to read that note in front of the whole class?”. “Sure why not, but I’m warning you it’s not exactly PG.”
• “Crap! Did I just give you a concussion with my locker door?”.
• “I can’t go to homecoming alone; I’ll look like a loser.” “Same. We can go together to avoid the embarrassment if you want.”
• “I forgot about the no spaghetti strap rule, give me your hoodie before a teacher notices.”
• “If you make me late for class again I’ll tell my angry Spanish teacher that I was temporarily kidnapped.”
• “Next time there’s a lock down and we’re all squished in a corner, can you not dig your elbow into my stomach?”.
• “Wrong bathroom, bud.” “I’m aware, I was meeting someone.” “Well it looks like that someone isn’t coming, but I can hear the jangling keys of a teacher who is.”
• “Well sitting 3 to a seat in a crowded bus is not fun.” “You practically sitting on my lap was.”
• “My amazing acting skills in the romance scene have nothing to do with my opinion of you at all.”
• “This was supposed to be a simple class skit not an entire play.”
• “The school library is closed for renovations, so my house it is.”
• “Why would you call me ‘sweetheart’ at the open house night? Now my parents think there’s something going on between us.”
• “I don’t have a crush on him, I just admire his dedication to the sport… Okay, he does have a killer body but that’s not the point.”
• “I’m going to be valedictorian because I worked my ass off for it. I’ll be damned if you take that away from me.”
• “It was supposed to be a simple four mile run for cross country practice. I had to carry you two miles back to the school.”
• “Omg, we’re twinning! … Sorry that sounded really obnoxious.” “No, it’s fine. By the way, good fashion choice.”
• “What the fudge, you spilled ketchup on me you son of a … wait you’re cute. Wait, did I just say that out loud?”.
• “Why would you invite me of all people to the party?”. “Well I was kinda hoping you could be my designated driver. . .”.
• “Thank God for field trips.”
• “I’m so hungry, just give me a chip.”
• “Are those my missing gel pens? You thieving-.”
• “Hey, come back here! You left your phone…”
• “Wanna start a club?”
• “No PDA on school property; you’re going to get us in trouble.”
• “Why was your traitorous ass wearing the other team’s colors?”.
• “We both know that whoever makes the best cookies is going to win student council president.” “Well I happen to be a great baker.”
• “I know you’re my fake prom date, but I really need a good instagram picture.”
• “Senior trip is gonna be lit.”
• “For the gender reversal football game, I’ll sign up to be a cheerleader if you agree to play in the game.”
• “The bus isn’t gonna be here for another 4 minutes and it’s pouring. Just get under the umbrella.”
• “We should memorize a conversation in French and walk into the class saying it so the teacher is impressed.”
• “Why are little hand sanitizer containers in your lunch box not a thing anymore?”. “All good things must come to an end at some point.”
• “I’ll bet you five bucks I got a worse test score.”
• “Why are we the only 2 people in this classroom? The bell rang 5 minutes ago.”
• “Practice ended early and I don’t have a ride until later. I guess in stuck here for another 45 minutes.”
• “I swear to God, poke me with that pencil again and I’ll make you regret it.”
• “Being the ‘hot’, mysterious new kid doesn’t give you a free pass to be a jerk.”
• “Of course someone had to print a 60 page packet when I need my essay printed by next period.”
• “Okay I’ll be nice and carry your books for you, but only because I broke your arm.”
Your touka cosplay :O is beautiful ;3 I was wondering how you wore your kagune? Like what kind of harness did you make...? ^_^ thank you and sorry
Aaah, thank you!! And don’t be sorry, I love to talk about this stuff! Actually, I hope you don’t mind, but I’m going to take this as an opportunity to do like a tutorial or sorts because I’m really proud of how my kagune turned out omg
- two sheets of thicker poster board (I used the ghostline stuff you can find at joannes or walmart but anything works really) - newspaper (a lot of it) - glue (I used mod podge because it works GREAT) - plastic bags - tape - hot glue (I went through at least 100 big sticks omg) - something to make a base out of (I used a small rectangle of upholstery foam with fabric sewn around it) - stiff jewelry wire (just a little bit, to give the kagune some stability) - a LOT of craft foam (I just went to walmart and got a big pack of foam sheets for like 5 bucks) - acrylic paint (I used black, red, yellow, and a really dark purple) - scissors - those cheap sponge brushes (like this) - some sort of clear sealer (I used mod podge spray) - black elastic thick enough to make straps with - a hair dryer (if you want to give areas of the kagune a funky texture) - fabric of some sort (only a little bit, for the base part. I used black cotton)
1.) Look up a ton of reference pictures and draw out the shape of the kagune on the poster board. I did one side on each board. Cut them out and hold them up to your body to make sure that they’re the size you want. REMEMBER THAT YOU’RE GOING TO BE WALKING THROUGH A CONVENTION so don’t make them too huge OR YOU’RE GOING TO BE HITTING A LOT OF PEOPLE.
2.) Make a base to attach both sides of the kagune to. I cut a small square of upholstery foam to give it some shape since I had it sitting around but if you can find something less expensive, go for it. I covered the foam with some black cotton and sewed around it to make a casing of sorts. I left some fabric on both sides of the sewn “fabric rectangle” so I could attach the kagune. Hot glue the fabric to the poster board. I forgot to take a picture, but you can sort of see the base here:
3.) Cut a few long pieces of the stiff jewelry wire and straighten them out. Sew a long, thing casing out of the fabric that the pieces will all fit in snugly. Slide the wire into the casing, and hot glue it across the center of the base, so both ends of the wire are on both sides of the poster board. I found that this gave the kagune a little more stability and prevented it from flopping around too much…
4.) Paper mache time. To give the kagune some dimension, I took plastic bags and bunched them up, then taped them down to the poster board. Cut strips of newspaper, submerge them in your glue/mod podge and start laying them on the kagune shape you created until it is entirely covered. This part takes a really long time, because you have to wait for one side to dry before you flip it over and do the back. You might even have to do more than one layer of the paper mache on some parts, to make it really stable. A hair dryer will help speed up this process a little if you don’t have a ton of time. My kagune was SOLID AS HELL after this part, the paper mache really helps strengthen it.
5.) While the paper mache is drying, you can start cutting “feathers” out of the craft foam sheets. I found that just ONE side of EACH side of the kagune needed 40-50 individual feathers, so you’ll be cutting feathers for a while. Try to get as many feathers out of one foam sheet as possible. It’s worth the work, because it turns out looking really cool when you have them all glued down!!
6.) Now that the paper mache is dry, you can start hot gluing the feathers down. Start at the ends of the kagune and work towards the middle. I layered feathers on top of each other because I thought that looked cool! I also covered the back part of the base with feathers, but left the front part (towards my back) uncovered. After you’re done gluing all of the feathers, the kagune will be REALLY STURDY.
7.) Lay down some newspaper under the kagune and start painting. I had to use a lot of coats to cover up all the different colors of the feathers underneath, and it took a few days of painting, but it turned out awesome. I found that using a hairdryer on the paint caused it to dry with a weird texture, so I let the paint dry on its own for a smooth look. I tried to blend each color into the next by “blotting” the paint with the sponge brush.
8.) Once both sides are painted and dry, you can add the black veining if you’d like. The veining is just hot glue! I painted it black when it cooled. Try to keep your hand as steady as possible!
9.) If you want to paint the part in the middle of the circle (I did) you can do it when the black part is dry. I wanted to give that part a different texture from the rest, so I dried it quickly with the hair dryer.
10.) Once everything’s dry, if you’re satisfied with how the painting looks go ahead and seal it with a few coats of the clear sealer. I wasn’t going to do this at first because i thought it was a waste of money, but I’m SO glad that I ended up sealing my kagune. It started raining at the convention and I had to walk outside to get to the hotel. I was scared that my kagune was going to fall apart or that the paint was going to come off, but it got soaked and nothing happened. DEFINITELY seal it!! I used a glossy sealer, too, so it made the kagune shine a bit, also!
11.) Once the sealer is dry, you can add straps on the kagune. I had no idea how I was going to do this at first, so I had to play around with different things, but I ended up making straps out of thick black elastic. I cut two long strips and sewed two “loops” that went around both the kagune and my shoulders. I then glued part of this loop around the kagune. Don’t be afraid to use a lot of hot glue, you want this to hold up!!
12.) Wear the thing!! Apologize if you accidentally hit anyone with it at a convention, but don’t worry about breaking it because it will be VERY STURDY. Be aware of how much space you take up while you’re wearing it, don’t try to fit into any tight places!! Have fun!
Hi, how are you? From the prompt list can you possibly do 20 and 21 with Bucky?
Pairing: Bucky Barnes x Reader
Author notes: (Y/N) is your name.
Friday and the week was finally and gladly over. It
hadn’t been the best one, to say the least. You felt like that typical whiny
teenager that hated its life, but you didn’t. You loved your friends and they
loved you back and life in New York City wasn’t as bad as everyone thought.
You officially worked as an HR assistant for Stark
Industries, but as Mr. Stark saw you were more than just good at it, you were
“promoted” to… It didn’t have a name, but you were the second in charge on
preparing the Avengers’ operations. You were organized, tidy and you were great
with people so you received a great check every month for your two occupations.
You spent a lot of time around the Avengers, so it was
no wonder that you bonded with them and that they considered you an important
part of the team, even if you didn’t really have any kind of special super
power to complement them. Clint was the most sensitive about it and you thanked
him for that.
Before going home you decided to go to the kitchen at
Stark Tower and have yourself a very much deserved soda; then, you started to
look back at your week and see what made it so crappy.
Monday sucked because you stepped on some poop.
Tuesday sucked because you left your keys at home and you had to crash at
Bucky’s place. Wednesday sucked because you literally had to break into your
own place. Thursday sucked because it was your free day and you had to work
anyway because there was a meeting at Stark Industries and you were requested.
Friday had sucked because you stayed until very late finishing up some work
Tony asked but that he didn’t see.
You heavily sighed and took one large sip from the
unhealthy drink and then you left the can next to you and rested your head on
your crossed arms over the counter. You felt so defeated and thanked whatever
god was in heaven for the week having only 5 days.
You felt footsteps and a male voice calling you
several times, but you didn’t feel like answering; you really just wanted to
sleep for a while even though you were not at your place. Your name sounded
closer and a pair of different hands held your arms from behind tightly.
You didn’t realize that thinking about your awful week
got your eyes wet and the man calling you got instantly worried.
“Hey (Y/N), you ok?” He asked. “Yeah, Buck” You said with a cracked voice. “You look like you’re about to cry. What
happened?” He asked, cupping your face in his flesh hand. “I just had a terrible week” You shook your head and
sighed “You saw one of my days” “I know, but… come one, you can’t let that out you
down” “I hate having these kind of weeks because they make
me feel like this and I hate it” You pouted on the verge of sobbing “Doll, you know I’m the expert in bad days” He smiled
“and trust me when I say that things will get better” “What if they don’t?” You asked. “I’m scared right now” He raised his
hands in defeat “Where is the (Y/N) that won’t let anything get her down?” “She has sunk low enough” You rolled your eyes and
looked away. “No, this is not the (Y/N) I know” He cupped your face
again “But I’m gonna bring her back, little by little”
He leaned forward to kiss your forehead and you felt
slightly better. Having him as your best friend was indeed a great thing; he
knew what he talked about. He, himself had awful days and he got over them. You
wrapped your arms over his torso and soon, the tears that filled your eyes
started to dry on their own.
“I love you Buck” You muttered, still buried in his
chest. “I love you too doll, and don’t worry, everything will
Cafeteria food is poison, most PE curriculums are pathetic.
I used to be a history teacher before I started my career in healthcare, going into education was a big mistake and I really regret it. I hated it. I don’t think I am going out on a limb when I say that the American education system is fucked. Education programs come and go with the political winds, nothing has any shelf life. More demands are being made of teachers, and impossible standards are being set while funding is being cut. There are more behavioral issues with students, the political situation is becoming intolerant, students are falling behind every year, and there are many reasons why they are falling behind. I have come to the conclusion that American society (and Western Society as a whole) is sick. Physically sick. We are fat, tired, and collectively riddled with preventable chronic illnesses. One of the major reasons why I think our children are underperforming in school is because they too are sick, being forced to learn more and more while they are not functioning at optimum health, and it mostly stems from cafeteria food and lack of activity.
School cafeteria food is poison. It’s all pizza, chicken nuggets, chicken patties, fries, greasy burgers, processed meats, fatty shit covered in gravy, foods with lots of salt, sugar, fat, nutritionless starches and processed carbohydrates. What little vegetables are served have been so overcooked there probably isn’t a single milligram of fiber or nutrition in them. Most fruit comes from a can, drenched in so much sugary syrup it might as well be candy. For many students who are from impoverished families and live in impoverished neighborhoods, free school meals make up 2 out of 3 meals a day. There have been initiates to change this, in particular one by Michelle Obama. Nothing has changed, portions are slightly smaller, but its the same old crap, just a little bit less of it. Then of course, there are vending machines in schools. At the cafeteria students can buy junk food, soda, sweetened teas, candy, ice cream, and all kinds of other crap. When I was in high school there were many days where I would just buy 5 bucks worth of junk food for lunch. It would not surprise me if kids are doing that today. It’s terrible! Combined with this, school physical education programs are a joke. I passed Gym easily, I was obese, I never exercised, and never was active. I was in terrible health, and I always got an A in gym merely because I dressed every day and tricked the gym teachers into thinking I was doing my best. Truly pathetic. Gym classes are often only held twice a week, for 45 minutes each class. Take away time students spend dressing and undressing, it’s more like 30 minutes. Health classes barely gloss over nutrition, it’s an easy A. As academic demands are increased, funding and resources are drawn away from PE, making the situation worse.
No wonder students are falling behind. Standardized test scores are not what they should be, and the tests themselves have been progressively dumbed down. Our children are sick. Many don’t have the energy, vitality, and robustness children should have. They are sick from eating bad food and not getting enough exercise and activity, so they can’t focus. They are tired because school schedules don’t conform to the natural sleep patterns of children and teenagers. Young children are always growing, teenagers are undergoing puberty, they are gaining muscle mass, bone mass, and undergoing hormonal changes, so sleep is damned vital! Can you believe that we take children and teens, feed them bad food, force them to sit at desks all day, and cause them to be sleep deprived during these important formative years when they are growing, learning, forming their personality, discovering their sexuality, and becoming young adults!? No wonder they are underperforming! No wonder there are so many behavioral and emotional issues! No wonder so many screwed up kids are growing up to be screwed up adults. We are the ones screwing them up!
The solution by state and federal programs has been entirely academic focused, with wishy washy programs like No Child Left Behind and Common Core, which are all doomed to failure. We’re going to make schools teach one size fits all curriculums based on standardized tests, make them learn more and with more difficult content, force them to work harder and do more homework to the point that they don’t have personal lives, can’t express creativity, learn to think for themselves, and are going to bed late and waking up early to get it done. Why do I say all current school programs are doomed to failure? By now that answer should be obvious, the current education system is almost entirely focused on academic achievement and development of the mind, but woefully neglectful of the body. This goes against one fundamental law of nature; you cannot have a strong mind without a strong body. You cannot separate the two, it is COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE!!! Take Stephen Hawking for example, one of the most brilliant minds living today. He is wheelchair bound due to ALS, but I bet almost everyday of his life he has physical and occupational therapy to slow the progress of his illness, prevent bed sores, prevent nerve pain, and stave off pneumonia. I bet he gets more daily exercise than most Americans. You cannot have a strong mind without a strong body! I cannot stress this enough! Anyone who thinks otherwise should just stick their hands up their asses, take a handful of shit and smear it all over their heads, because they are gigantic shit-for-brains. I was one of them. I wish I had started exercising and eating healthy back when I started my respiratory care degree. I was tired all the time, couldn’t focus in class, couldn’t concentrate well. I was so heavily devoted to studying and preparing my mind, but if I would have taken some time to exercise and paid attention to what I was eating, I could have done a lot better, gotten better scores, and learned things much faster and easier.
Things seriously need to change. Healthy foods need to be brought into school cafeterias. Junk food needs taken out, vending machines need taken out. More emphasis should be put on PE and health curriculums. Gym class should be an hour long and should occur every day. Recess shouldn’t be discontinued after elementary school, it should continue throughout middle and high school. School should begin later in the morning so that kids are getting the necessary amount of sleep to function and grow. Now I know all of this will cost a lot of money, and take away from that precious time used on academics. But investing so much in academics isn’t working because you cannot have a strong mind without a strong body! So we have a population of sick kids, growing up to be sick adults, who fall prey to preventable chronic illnesses like heart disease, Type II Diabetes, respiratory illnesses, cancer, and others. Rates of childhood obesity have gone up significantly. Back in the day, Type II diabetes was so rare in children that pediatricians never learned about it.Now it’s becoming more and more common. Heart disease and high blood pressure is occurring more and more in children. How are kids supposed to learn when they are dealing with terrible illnesses once only experienced by the elderly?
We can bring about this change. Students can take a big part, by staying away from cafeteria food, and packing a healthy lunch. If you are dependent on school food, choose the healthier options as best as you possibly can. Students should find exercise on their own time or join extracurricular activities like sports, even marching band. But where it really matters is with parents and teachers. Parents need to teach their children about health living and exercise, and why they are important. Both parents and teachers need to demand changes in the system. I seriously believe that if schools won’t listen and change, then parents should start threatening to homeschool or transfer their kids to private school, I’m dead fucking serious. I guarantee you, that will get their attention, and changes will be made. We need to do this, we need to do this so our children will grow up to be happy, healthy, and strong. Isn’t that and investment worth making?