notes: last night i was at sweet tomatoes which has a soft serve ice cream machine and the only thing i took away from my years of working at mcd’s was my soft serve cone making skills. and i was like ‘oh that’d be a cute fic’ but here we are and saeran’s a little shit so idk how fluffy this actually is so. maybe next time i’ll write something truly fluffy. now i should go work on chapter four of sinners like us.
I just had an amazing, humbling experience with this chunky little fuzzy bumble bee. I went to let my dog out and when I opened the back door, this cutie was crawling very slowly across the patio. After recognizing that she was not a wasp (thank goodness, I didn’t want to have to kill anything today… wasps are jerks and we all know it.) I decided to help her out and get her up off the ground and back to her bumblebee business. (The Beefcake and I later named her Queen of the Bee-zantine Empire.)
I know, I know… “Aurora, why wouldn’t you just leave it alone? It’s not even a honey bee!” Prepare to do some learning. Here’s what I’m going to talk about in this post:
1. Some facts about bumblebees! (Because who doesn’t like facts?) 2. Why bumbles are important. (And plants they help us pollinate.) 3. How to help a grounded bumblebee. (And what I did to help my bumble friend.) 4. How to help non-grounded bumblebees (and honeybees) in your neighborhood! 5. How to tell if it’s really a bumble/honeybee.
Let’s get to it!
1. Facts About Bumbles: To avoid boring everyone (myself included) to death by making this part of the post sound like a long, drawn-out speech full of science mumbo jumbo, I’m going to list some really basic facts and some that I thought were kinda interesting. Bee facts! Yeah!!! - There’s a type of bumblebee called a “Cuckoo Bumblebee” that are brood parasitic. This means they don’t make their own nests, they just go invade another bee’s nest. The queen of the Cuckoos will murder the other queen and lay eggs in that nest and the workers that live and were ruled by the first queen then take care of the invading Cuckoo queen’s babies. I think there’s a Showtime drama television show about this. (I don’t really think there is one, but there should be.) - Female bumbles can sting repeatedly because their stingers don’t have barbs like honeybees do. This means they don’t leave their stinger (or guts) when they sting something! Bumbles usually are defensive and will only sting if they’re in danger or are defending their nest. (The multiple stabs could also be in the show.) - They can fly at lower temperatures than honeybees can, and can forage for their food from flowers that are long and tube-like because they have longer tongues. - Bumblebees produce honey just like honeybees do! That being said, they do not stockpile it so we humans don’t harvest it. - Franklin’s Bumblebee (native to Oregon and California) has been listed as critically endangered by the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature.) These bees like lupine and california poppies so if you have a garden and you live on the west coast, do them a favor and plant some of these things.
2. Why Bumbles Are Important: To make this easy on everyone, I’ll just make a simple list of things bumblebees pollinate for us humans. (PS - Honeybees pollinated 1/3 of the UK’s animal-pollinated crops while the other 2/3 was done by… you guessed it… bumbles.) Here’s a list of fruits and veggies we can thank bumbles for: - Kiwis - Cranberries - Blueberries - Cherries - Pears - Plums - Apples - Blackberries - Oranges - Lemons - Melons (including watermelons, honeydew) - Raspberries - Peaches - Strawberries - Sunflowers - Tomatoes - Peppers - Cucumbers - Squashes and pumpkins
Get the idea?
3. Help Grounded Bumbles: Generally if a bee is grounded it is either hurt, sick, or it doesn’t have enough energy to get up and go. Here’s how you can help!
- GENTLY scoot the bee onto a piece of paper and transfer it to some type of container that air can get into but the bee can’t fly away immediately. I used a little tupperware container, but I left the lid off completely because I like bees and I’m not afraid of or allergic to them. - Find some flowers and put those in there! The only flowers I could find in close proximity to my house were hyacinth flowers, but the bee seemed to like them well enough. - Give your bee friend some sort of sugary solution. Dissolve a little bit of sugar in water, or if you have honey just mix it into some water and give your little bee a drop or two. Do not use artificial sweeteners, natural sweeteners are best. - Give your bee friend some water in a dish that has a lip for her to sit on so she doesn’t fall in. This is more of an issue during the summer months when there are droughts and bees can’t always find good water, but I figured I’d list it just for future reference. - Let your bee get better and fly off on their own! Chances are if they were just running on low energy, your diluted sugar solution will give them that little boost they need to fly off.
NOTE: If your bee has a damaged wing it will be very hard to help them. A bee without wings is pretty much useless and it will likely die. It’s sad, but that’s nature and nature isn’t always nice.
If your bee friend has a broken leg it can recover, but just be careful when moving it so you don’t damage any of its other legs.
4. Help ALL Bees: - In the warmer months (spring, summer, autumn) put a little dish of water in your garden so bees can drink it! Make sure the dish has a little lip or edge for them to sit on so they can still access the water but are not in danger of falling into it. - Don’t kill honeybees or bumbles that get into your house! They’re probably just as confused and scared as you are. Put them in a tupperware and transport them outside. (Wasps are a different story…) - If you have a garden/patio that supports plant life, consider planting some flowers or fruits and veggies that bees like to forage from! In return you’ll get healthy little crops and you’ll also feel better because you get to help out our buzzy little friends! Here’s a little chart to help you out with that.
5. How to Identify Bees: I’ll let this picture do most of the explaining.
Bumbles: Fuzzy, fluffy fat babies. Honeybees: Fuzzy bodies, thick legs. Wasps: Don’t get close enough to identify these. If you are unsure from a distance, just assume it’s a wasp and leave it alone completely.
I literally ignore all s2 Hannibal canon I’m not even kidding I’ve rewritten s2 before it even happened and I substitute my fanon so hard it’s like a jackhammer I hate s2 except for some bright exceptions here and there.
Excellent. Really, really excellent. The one redeeming character in the show is now dead.
Plot Holes :
1. Magic if falling apart, yet Tyler rips Stefan’s heart out with some ease.
2. If magic is indeed falling apart, and all vampires are going to die, why is Enzo so desperate to come back? Err why did he commit, was essentially was suicide and now 2 episodes later he’s so terribly desperate to return?
3. This Liv is the same witch who was being bullied by Enzo last episode? Like come on…she’s far more powerful than Bonnie, yet she was being bullied by Enzo, while her brother was being held up by some jocks? I’d have thought witches with the power to quite literally cripple 200 year old vampires would deal a bit better with jocks, and you know Enzo, another freaking vampire!
This episode had some action, I’ll give them that, and its probably the first episode in about 10 that’s had a halfway decent storyline. There was actually something happening…for once. In the midst of everything the “Delena” moment seemed so forced…why, just why? To gratify the 14 year olds who flood Caroline Dries and Julie Plec’s twitter feed, that’s why. Its so ridiculously lame. Its getting beyond nauseating now. They’ll bring Stefan back most likely with this mumbo jumbo going on with the other side.
If, as the shows err “mythology” states, the emotions and personality of a vampire are magnified from when they’re human, howcome the same compassionate, sweet, caring Elena is still so obsessed with the guy whose threatened to kill her closest friends, raped one of them and tried to kill her brother 4 times is it now? This show follows no semblance of logic, its like one of those twitter delena trolls is doing the writing.
On second though, I hope Stefan stays dead. I watch the show cause I felt connected to the character right from the outset, and if he’s dead, I can finally spend an hour a week doing something better.
TVD is one of the few shows I absolutely loved when it started. The first 3 seasons were absolutely fantastic. This show’s been ruined by a lack of creativity, failure to follow their own fictional rules, a Damon obsessed set of writers and a teenage fanbase that thinks sexual passion is love and chemistry.
Damon and Elena should’ve NEVER become more than what it did after season 3. The traingle should’ve ended after Elena picked Stefan when she became a vampire. Elena has been destroyed as a protagonist and it’s a very big reason as to why this show has gone down in quality. How can you have a television show that basically revolves around three main characters when two of them garner hardly any empathy for the audience. This couple is one of the worst portrayed on tv and gives a new definition to the term “Fan service.” Elena continues to be the most annoying female lead ever and is obsessed with a guy who has ruined her life continuously and made her become someone she (and everyone) despises.
The CW should know that young girls take impression from such shows and the writers glorifying such an abusive relationship as a passionate love story is wrong and horrifying on so many levels.
I agree. I just don’t think a girl sleeping with two brothers translates on screen. I just never got the passion from Delena that everyone else saw. But personally now I don’t ever want to see Stelena become a thing again. The best part of this season was when Stefan lost his memory and just thought Elena and Damon were jerks. It was the most real thing the show had in a while. The Stefan champion the relationship is just odd and stupid.
Damon will bring Stefan back and die in the process… Or so I’ve heard. I kinda want Stefan to actually be dead so I can stop watching this show. Paul Wesley is the only reason I’m hanging on. And yet again we get a lame Damon and Elena scene. Those two make me nauseous.
I definitely agree on that with you. Stefan staying dead = the one main character with redeeming qualities who fans can connect to (well unless you call fawning over bicep veins and pretty blue eyes as having some sort of connection with a character ) will be gone.
Please be dead Stefan, so I can forget about TVD as another one of those shows that just went so far downhill I had to quit.
I’m a big television fan, and have been for the last 5-6 years. I don’t exaggerate when I say that I’ve never seen a show deteriorate so fast, and the writers to be so amateurish and pathetic that they listen to 12 year old fans and make “thank you episodes” when these absolutely pathetic fans make “delena” win “best chemistry”.
I totally feel the same way. I believe the writing has really gone downhill since Julie Plec left to go write the Originals… I’m so tired of Damon and Elena - I think they were great as friends, but the real chemistry was/is between Elena and Stefan. If Stefan is truly dead, I’m done with the show. This show needs Kevin Williams or Julie Plec back ASAP - and I vote for Kevin Williams. Every year, I keep hoping that it will go back to the magic of the first two (maybe season 3) seasons. The show has some fantastic actors, but they are being wasted! Stop the triangle - go back to the roots, and stop pandering to the young fans whom just love Ian Somehalder. Yes I love Ian, but you have ruined the character of Elena for the Damon and Elena ‘fans’…. :(
I know it when I see chemistry between two characters..male or female..platonic or romantic..friends or enemy. Damon and Elena had chemistry as friends. They looked good with the banter going on and the thing was, as a friend they always told each other the tough truths. this was well done in season 2. Damon and Elena proves everything that means opposite of being romantic. Bed scenes does not make chemistry. Ian and Nina made Damon and Elena boring because they were together and when they broke up, it became pathetic. Look at the expressions in Elena’s face when she has to kiss Damon. I feel bad. This season the only romance was when Stefan caught Katherine while she was about to die. Nina looks much more comfortable in doing romantic scenes with Paul.
I don’t care what other’s say you are 100% correct - this show deteoriated the moment Julie Plec killed off the romance that was Stefan and Elena. TVD started with, “I met a girl….” and it was all Stefan. She went and changed everything because the fans wanted more Damon. Stefan and Elena were pure love and romance. It’s all gone now. I’m with everyone else…Stefan remain dead so I can stop watching because this show literally makes my eyes bleed. Even the actors seem bored - doesn’t appear that anyone’s heart is in it.
Of course Damon will bring Stefan back, be the hero, blah blah blah. Just like the entire season. After all folks, Ian is Julie and Carolines fantasy lover. Paul Wesley is such a talented and beautiful man. He deserves so much more than to be on a show that doesn’t appreciate him. I hope his character really stays dead and Paul moves on to bigger and better. Paul has been on the big screen and will do so much more. F the vampire diaries!
I think Stefan’s acceptance and championing of Delena is more disturbing to me than his death at this point. Which I didn’t really feel sad about, because this show brings EVERYONE back. And even if it doesn’t, this show has becoming poorly-written Delena fan fiction. So, peace out, TVD. I tried to endure you to the end, but no more.
The umbrella, when it rains - Kagami, on account of being a tree. It doesn’t stop Kuroko from trying, on occasion, but stretching his arms that far is really tiresome and Kagami-kun looks ridiculous with his head bumping against the underside of the umbrella.
The popcorn at the cinema - Kagami was going to get the jumbo bucket like he usually does, but then he realized if he put it on the armrest, it would form a wall between him and Kuroko and that would suck. So even though he’s really hungry (he was too nervous to eat breakfast, okay, first dates do that to a guy!!!), he just gets one of the smaller buckets for them to share. But that one’s so small their fingers keep bumping into each other, and they keep reaching for it at the same fucking time, so he eventually gives up all notions of food and they hold hands inside a bucket of salty, buttery popcorn. Yeah.