This is a very simple vegetarian bean chili, but the pumpkin puree adds a creaminess that is to die for.
- 1 onion yellow, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1T chili powder
- 2t paprika
- 1/4t cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1C vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Saute the diced onion in a layer of water for 3 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic, saute two more minutes.
- Add spices and stir to coat, add the veggie broth and simmer 2 minutes.
- Add everything else (AKA all the canned goods) and stir together.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and then simmer for 45 minutes.
Note: It’s almost a crime to serve this chili without cornbread.