You can’t serve an Old fashioned in a coupette glass and you can’t serve a Mojito in a margarita glass. Don’t be an ass, and know you glass. Here is a list of the glassware you have or should have in the bar you work in or your own home bar. Let’s start with the basics…
1. Martini Glass- Used to serve drinks straight up without ice. Most common would be a Martini where the name comes from or the Manhattan.
2. Margarita Glass- A glass stylized like an upside down sombrero should only be used to serve the margarita or any type of margarita variation and nothing else.
3. Pint Glass- Beer and Beer/Cider based mixed drinks. example Black velvet, shandy or Black’n’Tans.
4. Rocks Glass/ Old-Fashioned- Used to serve liquor like good quality vodka or whisk(e)y, and cocktails with ice or neat.Examples of different drinks that go into a rocks glass: Negroni, Old Fashioned, Margarita on the rocks, Sazerac (Neat).
5. Shot Glass- The name itself says it. Used for shots! I imagine everyone knows this and at this point I’m just covering basics for the sake of it.
6. Highball Glass- Used to serve long drinks, aka spirit and mixers, aka highball drinks. Examples are: Screw Driver, Cuba Libre, G&T.
7. Collins Glass- Slightly shorter and wider than the Highball glass, this one is used to serve a good Collins, Fizz, or Rickey.
8. Brandy/ Cognac Glass- Used to serve Brandy/Cognac.Just make sure to swirl hot water inside it before pouring in the spirit. It should be served in a hot glass.
9. Wine Glass- There are different types for white or red wine but this is the standard everyone should be familiar with.
10. Champagne Flute- Used to drink sparkly wine, champagne or serve the following cocktails: French 75, Champagne cocktail.
11. Hurricane Glass- For blended frozen drinks and exotic drinks.
12. Irish Coffee Glass- Thick Glass with a handle used for hot drinks such as the Irish Coffee, Hot Toddy or Hot Buttered Rum.
13. Coupe Glass- The coupette is another great glass with a stem used for ‘straight up’ cocktails like the martini glass. I like to use this one for cocktails containing egg whites.
14. Grappa Glass- Used to enjoy Italian grappa.
15. Absinthe Glass- Thick and beautifully designed glasses used to drink Absinthe. Served with the iconic Absinthe spoon for the sugar.
16. Tiki Glass- There are many types of these glasses around and this is just one of them. They are ceramic and usually depict imagery from Melanesia, Micronesia or Polynesia. They are especially used for ‘Tiki’ style exotic cocktails based on rum blends and fruit juices.
17. Buck Mug- Copper mugs used for Buck style cocktails, the most famous being the Moscow Mule.
18. Julep Cup- Iconic metal cup used only for the Kentucky Mint Julep.
19. Sour Glass- These are not used that much anymore, but they were the official ‘Sour’ glass for sour style cocktails.
20. Tasting Glass- Used by spirit connoisseur’s for tasting fine Scotch or Gin for example.
If you enjoyed this article share it with people and hit that like button! Also if you have any questions or want to share your thoughts please comment below. - UM. Thanks guys!
Since we have no Kugelrohr (German for “ball tube”, is a short-path vacuum distillation apparatus typically used to distill relatively small amounts of compounds with high boiling points (usually greater than 300 °C) under greatly reduced pressure) I have to purify my high boiling point polyaromatic compound with this “home made” method.
Since my compound has a really high molecular weight and high boiling point, I simply connected the flask to a U tube and a two necked flask. The whole system was under highly reduced pressure, the distilling flask was heated to 200 °C and the second flask was cooled in an ice-water bath, so my compound completely got out from the messy reaction mixture and condensed as a beautiful white crystalline solid in the receiving flask as seen.
I’m done using her for photoshoots, so this pretty baby is for sale. Clear glass 8.25″ mini with hand-piped and painted acrylic cake details. I put a lotta love into her and she’s gonna shine in someone’s secret fairy castle or cozy princess tower.
Tumblr exclusive, first come first serve! Message me if you wanna be her new mama.