[Image: GIF of Crusch Karsten from Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu. She has donned her armor and brandishes her sword while delivering a speech. Felix Argyle and Wilhelm Van Astrea stand at her side in a large castle chamber.]
In the anime Re:Zero, the supporting character Crusch Karsten is gifted with the ability of Wind Indication. This allows her to read even the most subtle of winds to detect otherwise invisible things, including others’ dishonesty and other veiled emotions. Such a gift makes her a force to be reckoned with at the negotiations table.
This spell seeks to mimic her power, as well as channel Karsten’s commanding yet enthralling personality. It aids its caster in decrypting others’ speech and body language, especially when vague; discerning between truth and lies; and being assertive and persuasive in one’s own words and actions.
sachet or materials for similar pouch; spell container
Queen of Swords card from a Tarot deck / OR queen chess piece; archetypal representation
fake feathers; symbol of air element
sodalite; for speech, perception, & aid in conflict
carnelian; for confidence, social situations, & willpower
hematite; for focus, logic, & trust
head of a dandelion with seeds; symbol of air element
(optional) paper & writing utensil
(optional) your voice
1. On a day with a light breeze, go outdoors and establish a workspace, laying out your materials. Take care with the dandelion; it’s important that it has most of its seeds still attached.
2. Arrange the fake feathers and stones around the Tarot card or chess piece as you see fit. I suggest placing the hematite on the top of the card to resemble a raised sword.
3. Take some time to observe the wind around you. Listen to the whispers it lures out of tree leaves. Be the audience to the dance it leads with the flowers. Pay keen attention to the scents it whisks under your nose. Feel the tickle that comes as it tugs at your skin. See if you can’t predict where the gale will pick up next.
4. As you increase your sensitivity to the wind, think on any circumstances that may have led you to needing this spell. You can lay your hands on the Tarot card or chess piece if this helps you to focus. Some questions to ask yourself include:
Whose words slip out of your grasp and leave you confused?
Who blurs truth and lie with a tone drenched in sarcasm?
Who needs convincing?
Why do you need to amplify your voice like this?
5. When you feel ready, recite the following chant. You may do this mentally, verbally, or in writing.
Let me correct you on one thing. I can tell if you throw a feint. The wind breaks your facade, It tells if you’re a fraud, And aids me in reading between each line.
Let me correct you on one thing. There’s truth in my speech and doings. The wind shows my resolve, It clears away all qualms, And leaves no room for misunderstanding.
Let me correct you on one thing. I am the victor of this Game.
6. Once you’re done with the chant, focus on your goal(s) and send the dandelion seeds off on the breeze. You can dislodge them however you see fit.
7. Gather the feathers and stones – and any stray dandelion seeds that may’ve stuck around – and put them in the sachet. If you used the chess piece, you can add that as well.
8. Carry the sachet on your person for it to take effect. If you must recharge it, tie it up securely somewhere on a windy day for the breeze to empower it.