today in french we were doing an exercise on adjective forms and some of the sentences said things like “boys prefer pretty girls,” “girls prefer muscular boys,” etc. and my 40 yr old straight married professor makes an awkward face and says “ok, wow these just got weirdly heteronormative. how about you fill in the blank with whatever noun-adjective combination you want, as long as it follows correct grammar”
and the answers that we came up with were amazing.
- girls don’t prefer boys, girls prefer (fast) cars and money
- boys prefer beautiful barbecues
- girls prefer annoying cats
- boys prefer 75 large plastic dinosaurs
- and of course: pretty girls prefer pretty girls
so remember kids, heteronormativity doesn’t belong in the classroom but 75 large plastic dinosaurs do.