Prompto maybe? He develops crushes really easily in the game, but I wondered what kind of person he'd actually be comfortable with without getting too infatuated... -Anony who asked the last question
I am deeply apologetic right now, my dear Anon! I do not know what this piece really is. An
unplanned fanfiction combined with headcanons? Although I am a decent writer, storytelling is another matter - I am a newbie and will hopefully improve in time. Anyway, please do just er, go with it and maybe enjoy it? :).
WARNING: FINAL FANTASY XV STORY SPOILERS AHEAD! I removed the ‘read more’ line break for mobile users!
Typically, Prompto’s not the kind of dude to try and play off his feelings towards a girl he likes. He’s apprehensive, yet feels an overwhelming urge to satisfy his needs and be a ‘man’ about his crushes. Since high school, post weight loss and a boost in confidence; he has tried and failed to land the girl of his dreams. Sure, girls think he’s cute sometimes, just not boyfriend material. Prompto doesn’t want to be just the ‘cute’ sidekick of the Royal Prince Noctis - he strives for something more. The bros were always quick to tease Prompto about his longstanding crush on Cindy Aurum - the certified sexy car mechanic, drawing plenty of business to her father’s small Hammerhead garage. Prompto was forever dreaming she’d ask the bros for help for a chance to see him again. Sadly, Cindy was always and probably will remain devoted to her first love - work. Eventually Prompto came to realise his desire for Cindy was simply a fleeting dream that was not meant to be - it’s purely platonic. Sadly, Prompto’s confidence was shattered. Along with coming to terms with his MT history and figuring out who he really was as a person, maybe the overwhelming desire for a relationship can wait. Or maybe not. Not when he met you.
Two years had passed since the ultimate sacrifice was made to restore light to the world of Eos. King Noctis had truly earned his place on the throne. Sadly, the only evidence of a ‘King’ Noctis was the shining gold memorial engraved beneath it. Whilst the passing of Noctis was necessary to sustain the well-being of the planet, it deeply saddened his nearest and dearest. Prompto was one of them – his best friend, his confidante and loyal companion whom he swore to protect alongside Gladio and Ignis….gone for good. The now 30 something group of Kingsglaive who served Noctis during his final moments were forging their own paths in life. The three of them were praised by the public for their dedication and with his rising popularity, Prompto took advantage of occasional appearances in the media (much to Ignis’s dismay), saving all the gil he accumulated to set up his own organisation:
‘Promptography.’ Just one man and his camera – Prompto photographed the whole world and many high profile figures, often collaborating with Vyv for highly sought fashion magazines sold in Altissia. Yes, Prompto knows a good outfit when he sees one!
Today was just another day, another shoot for Prompt. He rose from his high ground penthouse in the now restored Citadel, Insomnia, sipped some Ebony and checked his schedule -he can thank Ignis for his improved organisational skills over the past two years. Prompto had a shoot booked in for Citadel’s City College students. You are one of those students. You’re not a fan of pictures but the college Principle demanded ‘slice of life’ images of the students in class for the prospectus. ‘At least I’m not the only one suffering’, you thought to yourself. Prompto arrived at the campus promptly. (Har har xD.) He was greeted by the principle at the reception area and immediately escorted to the History department where you are currently studying. The door knocks and Prompto shyly enters the classroom complete with his dazzling equipment. Purposely, you were refusing to pay much attention.
The principle called your name and many others in the class to pose as ‘hardworking’ dedicated go getters. Prompto suggested study books be in shot and encouraged all to smile. You had not bothered looking up yet till you received a nudge from your classmate: ‘Yo Y/N, pay attention.’ You looked up to find the Principle had been trying to reach out to you, stating that dedication shouldn’t be portrayed in the form of leaning your elbow on books, staring into space. Humiliated, you decided to try and play it cool by holding your book in the air, grinning to the point your jaw ached. ‘This is great. Now it’s picture time!’ said an overly enthusiastic Prompto right before he snapped 3 shots of the class. You were almost blinded by the flashing lights, so why you decided to get up from your seat and attempt to leave for the restroom was beyond you. As you attempted to walk to the door, the flashing lights, still leaving you visually impaired caused you to accidently bash into a figure.
You felt a slight push and heard the whimper of a man. As you quickly apologised, a bashful tone of laughter could be heard from the same figure you just casually bumped into. Your vision was restored to normal and you notice the one and only Prompto standing before you with a hand on his hip. You apologised and smiled gracefully but he wouldn’t really look at you and only acknowledged you with a chuckle. You were intrigued by his behaviour, you thought he would have at least look you in the eye after your apology. This was PROMPTO after all – he’s not the shy type. Anyway, you both just walked in opposite directions and went about your day as usual, brushing the incident under the carpet.Prompto decided to use the college cafeteria to grab some coffee when he saw you approaching the table in which he was seated. It was then, under the harsh lights that he noticed how radiant you are. Like him, you have a few freckles which complimented your skin tone and hair. Your hair was of a texture he hadn’t seen before on another woman – your warm and welcoming smile gave him a fuzzy feeling, his stomach tying in knots. You greeted him and got past the small talk quickly, discussing each of your lives and adventures – his Royal duties, photography and your studies. You ask him to accompany you on a college field trip to ‘The Rock of Ravatogh” if it was possible.
He shyly agrees and you both sit next to each other on the coach used to escort students and 5 teachers to the now huge tourist (Gladio filmed a few Cup Of Noodle commercials there) attraction. Of course no one was allowed directly inside the dungeon – the volcanic lava and monster activity was too much of a risk, visitors had to make do with camping on the outskirts – the view just close enough to capture decent landscape images. Prompto held no qualms about camping but when you asked him to share a tent (you’re not the most popular student) he reluctantly agreed.
HEADCANON: Prompto’s behaviour around someone he feels truly compassionate about:
- Prompto does not really know what he’s looking for in a woman. Perhaps no word needs to define it. When he knows, he’ll know. Period.
- He fell in love on a history trip with an adult student of the Citadel College. She’s almost a decade younger, yet a little more mature than he is.·
- She pursued him and he was not used to it. He’s done the chasing all his life.·
- He admired her passion for history. He didn’t excel in historical studies himself but her ambition was attractive.·
- He was secretly relieved she was not very popular – he doesn’t want her peers judging him in a negative fashion. He endured enough torment in his school years.·
- She had a get up and go attitude on this trip but was attentive to Prompto’s needs.
- He could only ever confide in Noctis prior to meeting this woman. Despite his ever growing feelings, he was still lost for words most of the time and eye contact was a struggle. ·
- He refuses to take photographs of her out of fear for seeming disrespectful.
- She took a selfie with him on her phone and he wouldn’t stand too close as her emulating warmth made him weak at the knees….he just didn’t want it to look too obvious. This time he was all over the ‘subtle’ approach.
- He regarded himself as the weakest of his friends during his time of serving Noctis but that wouldn’t stop him being overprotective of his crush. Especially when she attempted to sneak off in the night to take pictures and had to defend herself from troublesome critters that lurked amongst the sealed outdoor dungeon. He’d find her, pull at her arm and playfully push her back into the tent.·
- He didn’t want to admit he was sometimes a little fearful of the dark, especially with bugs around. He hates bugs. Thankfully she finds it adorable and tried to make him laugh with pathetic jokes to take his mind off it.·
- He felt nurtured. He was laughing with joy for the first time in years. That void of emptiness since losing Noctis was being filled. He was being taken care of after all those years of attending to the needs of someone else.
- During the final night of the trip she bid him a goodnight with a soft kiss on his now stubbly lower cheek before going to sleep.
- Feeling slightly more confident after her subtle move, he would enlist the help of Ignis to help cook a special chicken dinner for his crush, post history trip. He plans to reveal his feelings then. He wouldn’t just admit his feelings, he’d be honest and try to explain his love, as well as attempting to justify it, nervously. Though I think he needn’t worry.