Okay I want to talk about the Barns for a minute
Specifically, I want to talk about animals and Ronan’s agricultural management
I’m as fond as everyone else of the idea of strange dream-creatures roaming the fields, of Ronan setting up a magical menagerie.
But I just don’t think it’s likely.
Even if they wake up Niall’s sleeping animals (which I believe they will, at some point), I don’t think Ronan would add to them. There’s always the chance that, when Ronan dies, they won’t be able to recreate the feat (we know it took the whole gang to wake the skeletons in the cave, and presumably doing it again would need that. Scientific method, baby). Who is going to be left to look after the farm? Adam. I wholeheartedly believe that Ronan would not want to leave him with that alone.
Think of the times Ronan has brought back living things: Matthew, Chainsaw, Opal. They were all accidental. (I don’t think much is mentioned about how deliberate the pale buck in TRK was, but correct me if i’m wrong).
He also knows how much of a drain on the line bringing back living things is. I can’t remember the exact quote since I don’t have the book on me at the moment, but there’s the bit in TDT where he says something about Cabeswater not appearing until after Niall’s death, because it couldn’t have the energy while Niall was carelessly dreaming an entire country for himself.
- Ronan working out that cross-breeds would probably stay awake when he dies, since he and Declan didn’t fall asleep when Niall died, being cross-breeds between a dream-creature and a natural being themselves
- Ronan going to cattle markets, trying to buy animals to breed with the dream cows at the Barns, realising he knows fuck all about farming and actual non-magical farm
- Ronan reading up on farm management and putting his mind to studying it, because it matters to him and he knows it will have a practical impact on his life
- Adam being so super proud of him for this, working for something rather than just being a gentleman of leisure, as he undoubtedly could be with his inheritence
- Building up his own herd, partly his father’s but partly his own, just like he’s making the house his own and not just keeping it as a museum of his dead parents
- There’s the odd animal that he brings back accidentally: a sheep with wool that can be spun into a garment perfectly waterproof that changes colour to match whatever you’re wearing, a chicken that lays gilded chocolate eggs he sells at the easter farmers’ markets, a cow that produces strawberry milkshake, but they’re few and far between
- He dreams magic farm equipment that make things easier for him to manage, but don’t look too weird to inspectors
This is also why I really don’t like the idea of Ronan dreaming children for him and Adam.
Because when Ronan dies, Adam will lose everything, and Ronan wouldn’t do that to him. I am 3000% certain of them deciding to adopt, because, apart from getting around that problem, both of them would absolutely want to help out kids in need (of course they get babies, because bringing in older kids to the magic of the Barns is going to be difficult in a secrecy “don’t tell your schoolmates that dad is magic” kind of way).
please add your own ideas about this!