In May 2012, researchers from the Opposites Attract study, now based in Australia, Brazil and Thailand, began recruiting serodiscordant gay male couples in which one partner is HIV positive and the other HIV negative.
Two years after the study officially started, some stats:
- At the outset, 84% of the HIV-positive men were taking antiretrovirals. Nearly all had an undetectable viral load, making them vastly less likely to pass on the virus.
- 58% of the couples reported having intercourse without a condom a cumulative 5,905 times, an average of 67 times each.
- The HIV-negative partner reported being the insertive partner (the top) for 60% of these occasions and the receptive partner (the bottom) the remaining 40%.
- 4% of the acts of condomless intercourse were reported to occur when the HIV-positive partner had a detectable viral load.
- 43% of the couples said they were not monogamous.