Do you remember when Scott thought that Derek died (s03e05) and he wasn’t able to heal because he felt guilty for his death?
Well, after Allison helps him to heal, one of the first things he says is: “Stiles, where’s Stiles?” even if there is no reason to believe he is in danger. It’s like Scott’s last promise to Derek was to keep Stiles safe.
I’ve always believed that (until season 4) it was Derek who acknowledged and understood his feelings for Stiles (Stiles was just…well…Stiles. Kinda lost in his Lydia world, wondering about his sexuality). Scott knew it though, like every body else in the pack, simply because Derek made it very clear to them:
But he tried so hard to keep him away. For so many reasons:
1) Stiles is a “child”
2) “I killed my first love”
3) “people I love die”
4) Trust issues
5) He knows and respects the feelings Stiles has for Lydia
“Sometimes the shape you take reflects the person that you are. Even Stiles calls her cold-blooded.”
6) He loves Stiles’ smile. And he knows how dangerous and painful a relationship with a werewolf can be.
But nobody can deny that Derek is totally in love with Stiles, because:
1) He makes him smile:
2) And makes him act like a baby (because he had to grow up so fast that he’s still a child in so many ways, SO BASICALLY WHAT STILES GIVES HIM IS WHAT HE NEVER HAD THE CHANCE TO HAVE):
(come on, Derek. No one believes you)
3) This little, defenceless human is a hero, a BAMF and he’s not afraid of him
4) this BAMF is kind and funny and brave and full of love
5) He dreams of him
6) no words needed
7) Derek kinda freaks out every time Stiles is in danger
8) COME ON THIS SCENE
And then, finally, it looks like Stiles understands something (and, yes, it looks like our ship is going to become canon)
BUT…Season 3B. Stiles literally loses his mind (STILES WHAT ARE YOU DOING)
While Derek’s still totally and madly in love with him:
And the Nogitsune knows it:
But then season 4 comes, and while Derek finds a distraction (okay, totally fair)…
…Malia decides that Stiles is her mate:
And then Stiles finally gets it:
Because when you’re losing someone…
…you understand how much that someone is important to you.