- germans: ok, so our country is called Deutschland
- the french: got it. the country of Allemagne
- germans: ...no? that doesn't even sound like it
- the english: oh no, we got it, it's Germany
- germans: not even close
- the polish: it's Niemcy, right?
- germans: how are you each getting it wrong in a completely different way
- danes: Tyskland
- lithuanians: Vokietija
- germans: ...
- germans: anyone else?
- finns: Saksa
- germans: you know what? sure. whatever
i'm chinese & i find it hard to distinguish between the people of certain east asian countries e.g. i find it difficult to tell if someone is chinese/japanese/korean. i'm worried about whether or not this is problematic given the trope of 'all asians look the same' - on one hand, i find it problematic to assign features to certain countries & thus 'guess' at people's ethnicities, but i know conflation of diff asian countries is a problem. do you have any guidance about this?