An adult gerbil spends up to 30% of its “active time” doing stereotypic digging in the corner of its cage. That would never happen in nature, and many researchers have hypothesized that the reason captive gerbils develop stereotypic digging is that they have a biological need to dig that they can’t express inside a cage.
On the other hand, in nature gerbils don’t dig just to be digging. They dig to create underground tunnels and nests. Once they’ve hollowed out their underground home, they stop digging. Maybe what the gerbil needs is the result of the digging, not the behavior itself. A Swiss psychologist named Christoph Wiedenmayer set up an experiment to find out. He put one set of baby gerbils in a cage with dry sand they could dig in, and another set in a cage with a predug burrow system but nothing soft to dig in. The gerbils in the sand filled box developed digging stereotypies right away, whereas none of the gerbils in the cage with burrows did.
Temple Grandin & Catherine Johnson, “Animals Make Us Human: Creating The Best Life For Animals”
Something interesting I thought gerbil and similar animal owners might want to read! Definitely a thing to consider.
Okay, so for any artists out there who can’t think of something to draw, I’ve found that the Bean exercise is a great way to warm up your arting muscles and really get into the groove. Now for those who don’t know the bean exercise is quite simple.
Step 1) draw two circles close to each other in any configuration.
Step 2) Start adding humany bits. the great thing about the beans you just drew is that they become a spring board for any number of fun dynamic poses, best part being that you literally just come up with these poses as you draw, no prior thought needed for the most part! :D
Or if you’re like me and you just want to cheer yourself up, you can always use the beans to make fuzzy lil animals. >w<
It’s no secret that the tumblr pet community can be brutal. We’re very passionate about the little lives we provide for. We show concern and empathy for others that may not be in ideal conditions. Sometimes we get overly passionate and can say some rough things. So how should we approach husbandry or animal concerns.
- Be formal, considerate and exact with language choices. If at all possible send the person a PM before directly replying to the post unless you need support for sources.
- Don’t say anything about the keeper. Avoid you statements entirely. This is about the animal.
- Be specific in what should be fixed. Focus on majors and things that are easier to remedy. If the animal is in a messy enclosure which is a health risk, that’s often more important than the cage being a stock one. Pick your battles.
- Provide sources and evidence. Care sheets, videos, pictures, articles. Label what each source is, keep things organized.
- If the keeper shows interest in fixing things work with them. If they don’t apologize and step back. If you really must throw a final comment make it passive and about the animal. “It’s easier on their feet to use the fleece and easier to clean. Just figured I’d save you a bit of time and money. You’ll be surprised on how many people will at the very least look it up.
- Use personal stories. Even if they’re dark. Showing that it is in fact reality can interest people.
- And show a genuine interest in the animal. Ask questions about their likes and dislikes. Their story. You’re then a friend and not just calling them out.
As for the people receiving the criticism . There are right and wrong ways to respond as to not escalate an argument and breed hostility.
- Read what was sent. Humour them even if you can’t or won’t change. You might find something you will do that you didn’t know before.
- Thank them. You can be insulted. Your ego can be burned. But thank them for the sources and say you’ll look into them. This ends the conversation then an there. Bonus points if you do read the sources.
- Correct them. If it was an old post and you’ve already fixed things, link them to something current. If you truly believe they provided something incorrect explain it and provide evidence.
- Do not provide a pet store employee as a superior source! They aren’t a valid source as the actual skill and experience varies. The "fish expert” might be in charge of the fish department, but has never kept a fish for its full lifespan and their only training is the instructional video.
- Ask questions. People are more than happy to answer.
X Don’t get defensive. Your pride is not worth a life and chances are arguing is only going to make people annoyed with you.
X Don’t laugh and brush off. You sound like a bitch and no body likes that.
X Don’t rely on old information and refuse to further your pet education. That’s the biggest key to being a successful pet parent.
X Don’t use money or space as an excuse. We’ve heard it all before and your answer will always be the same. You shouldn’t have the pet.
Continue your pet education, share and learn. No one is perfect and you will always find something new.
Starting to get increasingly annoyed with people comparing hedgehogs to other small mammals like gerbils, hamsters, etc., even when they’re trying to use it as an argument that hedgehogs are higher maintenance. Yes, hedgehogs might need more equipment due to heating needs. But no, hamsters & gerbils aren’t “easy” pets either. They’re just much more common and the neglect and misinformation given out for them is much more widely accepted & ignored.
No pet is an easy pet.
Every animal has specific care needs. Every animal needs the proper enclosure, the proper handling and attention, and proper diet. Some are easier than others. Some might work better for a person’s schedule than others. All of them need to be researched for, all of them need their enclosure set up appropriately, all of them need some kind of continuing care & attention.
None of them are “easy”. If you want easy, get a stuffed animal or a pet rock.
there aren’t enough of these so I’ve decided to add my own because why the hell not.
Percy -mutherfuckin- Jackson
His username would be super basic like BabyPoseidon or something.
His video’s would all be about random stories he would make up like “HOW TO SURVIVE AN ANGRY GIRLFRIEND” and Annabeth would be in the thumbnail just flipping the bird to Percy as he runs down the street.
“How I Got Kicked Out of (another) Walmart” would be his most viewed videos because he’s been kicked out of multiple Walmarts.
her channel name would be like Do-It-With-Money instead of like Do-It-Yourself because she doesn’t understand the points or diys but she does them anyway
You wouldn’t fuck with her
she’d be that one YouTuber kinda like a DIY girl except at the end she’d let Leo set everything on fire because When in the world am I going to need an edible phone case.
in most of the backgrounds during her filming you would either A) hear Percy or B) see him running down the hallway to fuck with her filming.
“How to Bury Your Boyfriend’s Body” would be her most viewed video because it’s fucking hilarious
she’d be the new Thomas Sanders.
Do i need to put anything else because i don’t think i do
he’d be the new Bill Nye the Science Guy
except either Piper or Percy would be with him at all times and they’d either almost burn his house down or almost kill a gerbil
“PERCY I SAID NO GERBIL WHAT THE FUCK WHERE DID YOU EVEN GET A - YOU KNOW WHAT I DON’T WANNA KNOw”
he’d try and do makeup tutorials but Piper would come in half-way and just do it for him
She’d do the makeup halloween things but
she’d also be the biggest motherfucking prankster ever
Leo would frequently help her put freaking baby powder in Jason’s hair dryer
“Why I Might Need a New Identity” is her most viewed video because she almost burns down a Target bathroom
He’d be the new gamer and also prankster
he’d say this game isn’t scary and then promptly fall out of his chair
Calypso would be in the background just like im dating this dumbass
he’d also have a weekly cooking show with Calypso where she tries to take it seriously but he’d just like let’s ADD SOME GUMMYBEARS TO THE LASAGNA
I don’t think Frank would have one he’d be too busy volunteering at animal shelters and shit
but he is in 99% of Hazel’s videos
its practically a collab channel at this point
he’d be the angsty gay one
except he wouldn’t come out
in a Q+A one of the questions would be When are we gonna meet your girlfriend and he’d just fuckin DIE OF LAUGHTER
“Do i honestly even look straight to you guys? I mean, phan is a thing right?”
Im sorry but i have to add Will
because he’d be the one to nurture people on health but in the stupidest ways possible like
Way To Not Die #782: Don’t drink Cyanide. Just, don’t? PLease?
He’d be in a secret relationship with Nico and everyone ships them
they’d always show up in the background of each other’s videos doing the stupidest shit ex: shooting a bow and arrow at a china cabinet or pretending to be a stripper
whenever Nico would call him while recording Will would pick up and just scream “WADDUP BITCH”
And if he was still recording when Nico got home Nico would either A) kick over his tripod or B) dump a bucket of something on his head