Do you have any advice for people trying to improve their art?
YASSSS, okay so:
- draw a lot from reference! Copy is GOOD, look at things you like and draw them out as identically as you can, absorb their goodness like an unholy sponge
- watch a lot of stuff, like my long dead grandma used to say: “you need to have a full stomach before cooking for others”, in other words, you gotta read and watch stuff, be it books, comics, mangas, movies, television series..etc. Inspiration and good ideas don’t come from nowhere amigo
- diversify your practice, touch everything! try different mediums (acrylics, digital, pastels, markers…), different styles (manga, cartoon, realistic, geometric…), different things (objects, animals, plants, environments)..etc!
- go check out videos and tutorials on the net, there’s so many of them on youtube, here’s my own art tutorial playlist if it helps!! not everyone can afford art classes so watching the way others work and learning from their experience is an amazing free alternative.
- don’t be afraid of constructive criticism! different views can help notice stuff you didn’t, but try to get the opinion of an art teacher or smt, someone with experience and not Jimmy from across the street who just happens to dislike purple and Shrek
- get unhealthfully obsessed with something, no really, its amazing how productive one can get when they’re FUCKING OBSESSED….so yeah, fanarts are the way to go and it makes others happy too so it’s two for one.
- try to start a comic, this isn’t for everyone but it worked for me. Ever notice how much mangaka’s art progress over the course of the serialization? It’s the same principle coz drawing a story, panels by panels, let’s you practice a wide range of facial expressions, character design, backgrounds, props…etc. and it even helps u ameliorate your grammar lmao. And of course, your story’s gon be embarrassing and horrible and unoriginal, but just get down to it!!!!
I used to draw different comics too, the longest one was a huh…..hm…. *clears throat*, a retelling of that Daughter of Evil Vocaloid song but set in an Alice in Wonderland world………. and I spent 8 complete sketchbooks on it….
it was an orgy of all those bad anime cliches complete with cheesy one-liners directly imported from Hollywood movies
but hey, it helped me get to where I am today, so it’s worth it!
- get a cheap sketchbook, so you won’t end up with a gazillion loose leaf paper or cry when u waste the fancy bristol paper by drawing dicky mcdick on it. I personally use Strathmore or Canson, it’s cheap but not shitty quality either
- keep practicing!! like seriously guys, your art will be fifty shades of awful and you will want to chuck it out the window but there’s no shortcut. Just draw every day until you fill a buttload of sketchbooks and you’ll eventually get somewhere,
^^^^^ this is how many I’ve filled in the span of 5 years