Why Louis’ current rebranding is more effective and less harmful than you think
We all know it is vital that for 1D to have any sort of a future, they need to appeal to a more adult market. What’s the best way of doing that? Make them seem like adults. It’s pretty simple right.
Sure, you say, but why do they have to push straight partyboy Louis? How is that helping anyone? Well, let me tell you.
Straight partyboy Louis is, despite what the fandom thinks, the most innocuous, forgettable image that you can push on a young white male celebrity. Adults don’t really give a fuck that a 23 year old boybander is out partying and picking up girls. It’s a non-story and anyone who has been 23 knows it’s pretty standard tame behaviour. He’s not getting arrested, he’s not shooting up, he’s not using prostitutes or doing anything scandalous that would make adults sit up and take note. And whilst it feels to us that they are pushing the het thing really hard, remember that for most people heterosexuality is so much the norm that it doesn’t register. They won’t read these articles and go, oh my gosh, he must be straight, that is big, fundamental information I shall retain and never let go of, they will just go, meh, he’s normal, whatever.Or if they’re smart they will just point out that he is gay and this is PR.
My point is that these kinds of articles are the best way for his name to be in the papers, giving just enough of a sorry excuse for a story that they can print his name in non-1D contexts, without adults getting too suspicious that something is afoot, because the stories themselves are pretty dull. These are the stories people will skim past, shrug off, claim they don’t care about or that they are unshocked by…
BUT - and here is what matters - they will also subconsciously incorporate the name of Louis Tomlinson into their mental catalogue of adult celebrities. Skim past enough half-arsed stories about Louis Tomlinson and eventually, without even trying you will have an idea of him doing things that adults do. No more “One Direction, aren’t they like 16?” because no, somewhere in your mind you associate them with alcohol and clubbing and the use of drugs being non-shocking, so, your brain does the work quietly in the background and concludes, they must be adults.
Side bonus point - these sort of articles can actually prompt people to defend Louis Tomlinson as being an adult. Literally, they are provoking the public to actively assert that Louis is in fact an adult.
Okay, thanks for everyone’s responses! Super grateful since my memory’s quite poor with such things (as evidenced by that post, haha!) Anyhow. The question doesn’t pertain to BS2.0 per se, but rather the location where he was in. This might not be particularly groundbreaking but it’s just really interesting:
So I was dicking around the UK Government website reviewing copyright and patent laws and looking up trademarks (don’t ask!) when, on a whim, I typed ‘One Direction’.
WARNING:This is mostly business- and brand-related so it might be a tad bit boring for some! :D (Also, each printscreened info is public, so no worries of us violating anything. Also, this is dedicated for srslycris, since she loves this stuff.)
So here are the results that came up:
(There are other results as well but these are all the only ones relevant.)
INTERESTING THINGS THAT I FOUND OUT:
1. ONE DIRECTION AND EACH BAND MEMBER IS TRADEMARKED TO THE HILT. Ever think about why 1D has the most ridiculous merchandise? Well, it’s because they have a werewithal to plaster the 1D brand and each band member’s face on almost anything and call it 'profit’.
And I used to remember telling people that each band member is a brand. Well, yes. Because their names are all individually trademarked, with a list on which kind of goods their names (and any representation of themselves: pictures, art, etc) can officially appear as part of the 1D merchandise. For example:
(It’s the same for Harry, Liam, Zayn and Niall, btw).
This raises some questions for me:
Remember the Rovers deal? That’s the reason: Louis TomlinsonTM is a trademarked name. For Louis to use his trademarked name, (in a manner that’s outside of the permitted goods, to boot, ie., the fundraising thing) he has to get permission from 1D Media Limited. Which, weirdly enough, has all of 5 of them as directors, which makes them keyholders on decisions regarding permissions for their names. So did one of them not agree to the Rovers deal, being financially advised of a possible monetary fallout? Louis will be investing a huge amount of money on it after all, and will probably not be able to see a return of his money after some time.
Or is it still within the original fandom suspicion that, though the 5 of them are the directors, since they are still being managed by Modest, all final decisions rest on M!M themselves (since they’re the ones who most likely have officially registered the brand and each band member’s name).
2. LEE & THOMPSON IS THE FIRM THAT ACTS IN BEHALF OF 1D MEDIA LIMITED, WHICH REPRESENTS/CONTROLS/ADJUDICATES ON EVERYTHING RELATED TO ONE DIRECTION’S BRAND AND IMAGE.
I don’t know if anybody has posted about this but 1D Media Limited is an account of Lee & Thompson. So, that pap walk of Louis’ could’ve had a more serious, business-related reason as well: he must’ve conferred something with Lee & Thompson about 1D Media Limited.
(I think there was a post that Harry was seen with Lee & Thompson as well? Or was that another firm? And didn’t they represent Harry in that Daily Star thing? Now, I know why. They had to represent Harry since they were the firm handling trademarked representations of One Direction)
3. ONE DIRECTION IS ALSO TRADEMARKED BY ANOTHER COMPANY.
Before the 1D Media Limited-held trademarks for One Direction, the One Direction trademark was registered by a different company:
TMS, which is located in Heywood Shepherd, 1 Park Street, Macclesfield Cheshire, UK SK11 6SR. Less than half an hour’s drive away from Holmes Chapel.
Did Harry (in agreement with the others), with the help of his parents (or the other boys’ parents as well), have the foresight to register their band prior, when they were just starting out? Look at the items trademarked: very few and mostly paper- or clothing-related, very conservative and the usual avenues for fan merchandise, not like the goods-free-for-all that the 1D Media Limited has. And also look at the trademark: it starts with a UK not an EU, meaning that whoever registered didn’t really think that they would expand outside of the UK. So how does that factor in with the current trademark that 1D Media Limited has? Do they work in conjunction or is this one already defunct?
I have been a quiet observer for a long time now in this fandom, but since Liam’s interview really, honestly and completely rubbed me, as most of you too, the thoroughly wrong way I feel the need to try to gather my thoughts on the treatment of lgbt+ fandom, Larry and ‘larries’ by 1D and 1Dhq. Another reason why I am finally writing a post of my own is that I really feel the need to voice my opinions to my ‘brothers in arms’ (as I have considered many of you for a long time now) and to feel like I am talking to people who actually listen and hear. Talking and being listened to right now in this toxic fandom I am (to my utter despair) a part of is the only way to help myself and maybe even others. Reading your posts in desperate times always helped me. So, since we’ve been bullied I feel the need to embrace you all and to feel myself embraced by you. Talking to you this way feels like an embrace to me. This is also the reason why I am tagging a few of the ‘big’ blogs I have followed since my entering the fandom. I have no wish to promote myself or my blog, I post very rarely so please do not feel offended for being tagged. If anyone out there would like to talk though, feel free to talk to me.
So, here it goes.
1. I cannot in my wildest dreams possibly imagine why it was decided to ‘talk’ to the lgbt+ fandom in the way they did with this Liam interview. No matter who said those words, it WAS sanctioned by 1Dhq and it WAS published by a GAY magazine that not long ago praised Rainbow Direction for creating a safe space for lgbt+ 1D fans. When announced, Liam’s cover in the Attitude magazine really seemed like a step forward in accepting the lgbt+ fans. However, the actual interview did exactly the opposite – it belittled Rainbow Direction and it painted lgbt+ fans yet again as delusional, crazy, not real fans, obsessing over Larry – which altogether serves as an OPEN INVITE for those so called ‘antis’, who themselves obsess over Larry and ‘larries’, to continue BULLYING the weakest in this fandom, the ones who have long been de-voiced and have only recently begun to feel safe enough to show their rainbows. This is ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING and there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER, NO JUSTIFICATION - including Louis’, Liam’s, Harry’s and Briana’s feelings, AND the unborn baby – to do this. Inviting and encouraging such bullying is a fucking crime and should be treated as crime. So, 1D, 1Dhq, Attitude magazine, Liam and every other person responsible for this: YOU SHOULD LOOK DEEPLY INTO YOURSELVES AND TRY TO GRASP WHAT YOU HAVE DONE. My heart goes out to all of you who are hurt by this. I honestly love you very much.
2. I think Harry knew what was coming. It was a bit strange to me this last week to see him DELIBERATELY asking for and dancing with rainbows EVERY SINGLE SHOW. HARRY KNEW, this is the only thing I AM ABSOLUTELY positive about regarding the boys’ opinions about it all. I love Harry very much. I love Louis too, but I cannot talk about him right now. I will try not to forget his facial expression caught on camera while he was looking at Harry with that flag. It was an honest expression of pride and joy. But for now, I wish to refrain from talking about Louis anymore. 1Dhq did not succeed in silencing me about how utterly wrong their treatment of their fans is, but they have managed to make me not want to talk about Louis. He is about to become a father, they say, he is happy, they say, he is taken not by Harry, they say, and I respect that. At Liam I am angry. Maybe it was not him, I don’t know. I hope he realizes the damage this interview has caused.
3. I find Rainbow Bondage Bear and Sugar Bear really confusing. I have loved those bears. The things I am certain about them is that: a) they are gay or gay friendly, b) they were repeatedly heavily associated with Harry and Louis with (the repetition of) Harry and Louis’ colors and the skateboard and banana props. I honestly don’t think they were/are here to queer bait, but their role I cannot decipher. I cannot decipher their messages or how they are allowed to ‘talk’ in this environment. IF - and I really think this is NOT the case - IF somebody is just having ‘fun’ with them and thus having ‘fun’ mocking the ‘larries’ (as it has been suggested) - it’s a crime and PLEASE STOP. The bears and all of this is really no joke to a lot of people.
4. I am aware this should not have been and not be about Larry but Larry WAS mentioned in the interview and I must tackle it. WHY THE HELL IS LARRY SO DANGEROUS? This is my line of thinking: Larry and the belief in the realness of Larry has been an extremely positive thing for a lot of closeted, insecure, bullied, afraid fans. Larry has over the years given hope and comfort to a lot of people. Now, if shipping ME with the worst person in the world, let’s say the DEVIL – and by shipping I mean it all, including explicit written and visual artwork of our sexual activities – made people feel happy, secure and hopeful I wouldn’t fucking mind if the whole damn world thought me and the devil are (possibly, maybe) in a loving gay relationship. WHY IS LARRY SO DANGEROUS? Why was there a need to deny Larry when there was NO NEED to deny it this way? Why in a fucking GAY magazine? WHY? Almost as if denying Larry and bullying the lgbt+ fandom and the ‘larries’ in a gay magazine served as a great way to punish Harry. The one boy from that god damn money making machine who would not completely bend, who managed to dismantle his awfully degrading womanizing image and who has recently explicitly shown strong support for the lgbt+ community in general and lgbt+ fandom in particular. Dear Harry, just pack your bags and leave. Fuck ‘em all.
So guys, thank you for listening. Even if nobody reads this, I feel connected to you by just writing it. I feel better now. Thank you, I love you!
i used to think someone would love me for the places i have been, and the dirt i have been gathering deep beneath my nails. but now i know what i’ve been missing, and i’m going home to make it mine. and i’ll be battening the hatches and pulling in the sails.
“They call him the Poison Dwarf,” Louis muttered, riffling a hand through his soft hair. The wine in his glass was almost gone but he was still keyed up, slipper-clad heels bouncing under his chair as Harry turned to peer at him from the sink.
“Sounds rude,” Harry said. He wiped his sudsy hands on the dishtowel that was slung over his shoulder and came to stand by Louis at the computer.
“I think it sounds – /oh/ – sounds good and scary. Intimidating, like.” Harry had begun to knead Louis’s tense shoulders, sure fingers dancing over all the right spots. He wondered when de-tensing Louis had become a familiar routine, and sighed at the thought.
But Louis slowly yielded to his hands, settling into a pleasant buzz as he clicked on another story about 30 Seconds To Mars and EMI. “See?” he gestured. “Scary.”
Harry nodded as he read through the article, reaching around Louis to steal the last sip of his wine and press a wet-berry kiss to his temple afterward. “I think you found him, babe.”
Louis let out a breath, and Harry felt a small jangling in his nerves. They were doing this. They were going to call the boys, probably have a few long, teary discussions as a band, but he knew. They were really doing this.
“You’re going to have to fly to LA, you know,” Louis said, as Harry pressed an experimental kiss into the golden column of his throat. “Seduce him.” He felt Louis shiver.
“I don’t seduce anybody but you,” Harry said.
“You friend-seduce everyone you meet, and you know it!” Louis giggled, turning in his seat to wrap his arms around Harry. “Cindy Crawford, honestly.”
Harry shrugged and smiled. “How many buttons, do you think?”
“Hmm…” Louis leaned back and squinted at Harry’s torso, pretending to consider. “I’d say no more than three. Four at the absolute most.”
“I love you,” Harry laughed. Three years on and still laughing. Oh, this was so going to be worth it.
“lmfao @ the anon who said harry’s trolling us… i mean yeah occasionally he likes to stir the fucking cauldron and cackle like a green ass witch but he’s still super gay and is just droppin hints on us like bird shit bruh it’s all cool”
aka probably one of the best asksgenuinelybelieve has ever gotten, badly illustrated for your viewing pleasure