something on genre fiction
- not every story that includes gay characters has to include homophobia and gay angst
- if it’s a fantasy world, you can just mosey on down and say that being gay is as accepted as having brown hair
- if it’s a real-world setting, guess what? you could still do this. of course in certain circumstances there may be angst but sometimes you don’t have to.
- bend the rules of society. throw them all in the bin and start again. that’s what writing is.
- see: the raven cycle, ink and bone, a darker shade of magic.
- your story is not about homophobia, it’s about dragons and magic and murder and whatever the hell else you wanna throw in there.
- it’s your world, you make your rules. go ahead and make your happy gay characters in their happy gay worlds. i’m rooting for you.
- make genre fiction your bitch.
- the world is your fucking oyster.