hey so i haven't always gotten the Best grades, mainly because i don't study well for tests. now that i'm entering 9th grade, though, i'd like to change that, but i'm not sure how. do you have any tips for to get my shit together and start studying better / getting better grades?
I applaud you for wanting to change your approach to grades! Some useful tips that have helped me through my high school experience:
- ask questions in class. this is especially helpful for me in math bc it’s my toughest subject!! remember that there are no stupid questions, and it’s better to be safe than sorry. If you’re really embarrassed to ask for help, you can always talk to your teacher at break or after class.
- ask your friends to tutor you. Idk about you but I have some seriously genius friends that I’m really close to. IF you don’t have time to ask for homework help while you’re at school, you can always have a tutor-sesh through Skype, FaceTime, or HouseParty!
- check your grades frequently to see what you’re missing or need to catch up on. this will also help you to know how high you need to score on upcoming tests for you to go up a grade. the Grades app is perfect for this and I check it all the time!
- put your phone away, leave it upstairs, or use it until it runs out of battery. even if you’re trying to convince yourself that it’s helping you study, it’s probably just tempting you to go on instagram every 5 minutes.
- take breaks. let your eyes rest, eat something, drink some water, or go to the bathroom. going so much work at one time is NOT healthy for you mentally or physically!
- don’t wait last minute to finish an assignment unless it is absolutely necessary!!! Set a small amount of time every day until the assignment is due to get it done little by little. That way, you’ll still have time to do assignments from other classes and you won’t be drowning in work the night before it’s due.
- do the study guides even if you’re teacher isn’t going to grade them.
- take advantage of the resources your teachers may put online. this could be anything from study guide pdf’s to videos.
- my best advice to anyone trying to get their shit together is JUST START. Tbh starting is the hardest part. know what you have to do and take the time to do it. it won’t be easy or fast but you’ll be so grateful in the long run.