SCALLION PANCAKES WITH GINGER-SCALLION DIPPING SAUCE
2 cups all-purpose flour
About 3 teaspoons fine salt
¾ cup boiling water
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
Up to ½ cup cold water
½ cup sliced scallions including green tops
½ cup neutral oil or as needed
Ginger-Scallion dipping sauce, recipe below
1. Mix flour and 1 teaspoon salt together in a large bowl; pour in boiling water and quickly mix together until water is absorbed. Work in the sesame oil and then the cold water, about 1 tablespoon at a time, into flour mixture just until dough forms. Knead dough for 10 minutes. Cover bowl with a damp cloth and let dough rest for 40 minutes.
2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface; divide into 4 equal pieces.
3. Roll 1 piece of dough into a large thin round; brush the top with vegetable oil and sprinkle with about ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ of the scallions. Pick up 1 end of the round and roll dough around scallions into a long scroll-shape. Take 1 scroll end and roll dough into a disk. Repeat with remaining dough, letting each disk rest for 10 minutes.
4. Heat about 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Place 1 disk on a floured surface and roll into a ½-inch thick round; cook in the hot oil until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining disks.
Ginger Scallion Dipping Sauce
Makes about 3 cups
2 ½ cups thinly sliced scallions, including green tops
¼ cup grated or finely minced peeled fresh ginger
½ cup grapeseed or other neutral oil
4 teaspoons light soy
2-3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
1. Mix everything together in a bowl. Let rest for at least 15-20 minutes and then adjust salt and other seasonings to taste.