The Thirteen Children of Samwise Gamgee
Sam and Rosie (who, by the way, were known as the Gardners in the Fourth Age, rather than the Gamgees) had thirteen children. Other than Elanor, though, we mostly only know everyone’s names and years of birth. But, here you go:
- Elanor Fairbairn: Born 3021 TA. Elanor is the only of Sam’s children that we really know much about. I could honestly give her a whole big long post of her own, but here’s the basics: Frodo suggested her name (after the small flowers found in Lorien), and became Arwen’s lady in waiting at age 16. Later Elanor returned to the Shire and married Fastred of Greenholm. Sam named Fastred Warden of the Westmarch, the new territory given to the hobbits by Aragorn. Elanor and Fastred spent the rest of their lives in Undertowers, by the Tower Hills. After Sam left for Valinor, Elanor became the keeper of the Red Book.
- Frodo: Born in year 2 of the Fourth Age. Sam named his oldest son after his friend Frodo Baggins. This was especially appropriate, since Frodo ended up becoming head of the Gardner family and inheritor of Bag End.
- Rose: Born 4FO, Rose was named after her mother.
- Merry: Born 6FO, Sam’s second son was named for Meriadoc Brandybuck.
- Pippin: Born 8FO, The third son of the Gardner family was named for Peregrin Took.
- Goldilocks: Born 10FO. Sam’s third daughter was named especially for her blonde hair - which, while not unusual among the Gardner family, was fairly unusual among hobbits in general.
- Hamfast: Born 11FO, the seventh Gardner child was named for his grandfather, the Gaffer (aka Hamfast Gamgee.)
- Daisy: Born 12FO.
- Primrose: Born 14FO.
- Bilbo: Born 15FO, named (of course) for Bilbo Baggins.
- Ruby: Born 17FO. Ruby is the only Gardner daughter not named after a flower - but there was some tradition among hobbit “nobility” to name daughters after gems (such as Diamond of Long Cleeve, who married Pippin Took.)
- Robin: Born 19FO. It’s possible that he was named after Robin Smallburrow, one of the Hobbiton Shirriffs, but there’s no evidence of that.
- Tolman: Sam’s youngest child, born 21FO. He was named for his mother’s brother, Tolman Cotton.
SOURCES: LotR, LotR Appendices