Donald Trump has quietly hired hundreds of loyalists to serve as his “eyes and ears” across government
- Trump has quietly positioned hundreds of his supporters to take jobs across the executive branch, essentially taking a backdoor approach to placing “his eyes and ears at every major federal agency” even while senior jobs requiring congressional confirmation remain unfilled, ProPublica reported Wednesday.
- ProPublica posted a list of more than 400 such dubiously qualified Trump appointments, which the site wrote included everything from “obscure campaign staffers” and contributors to far-right website Breitbart to a recent high school graduate and at least 36 former lobbyists.
- The staffers are serving in so-called “beachhead teams,” temporary units serving for four to eight months.
- The beachhead teams are intended to familiarize Trump’s administration with the workings of various federal agencies as well as shape the early implementation of Trump’s agenda.
- Though as ProPublica wrote, many of the hires will likely transition into full-time roles.
- As Trump has left hundreds of jobs requiring congressional confirmation across the federal government unfilled, the beachhead teams have likely assumed “considerable influence.” Read more (3/8/17 11:10 PM)