Fresh jumbo scallops are quite easy to find around supermarkets in Vancouver. I have fell in love with scallops since a few years back when I first started cooking. There is so much you can do with scallops, from eating them completely raw to completely cooked and they’re complimenting to a variety of flavors.
8-10 jumbo scallops
¼ cup strawberries
1 parsnip or yam
salt & pepper
2 tsp white pepper powder
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp corn starch
1. Pat the scallops dry. Then sprinkle on some white pepper powder then cover all the scallops and both sides with corn starch. Set aside.
2. For the mashed parsnip or yam, cut them into smaller 1 inch chunks, then boil in minimally salted water until soft. Drain the water, then place into a large bowl and mash with a masher.
3. Then prepare the strawberry vinaigrette. First mash up the strawberries well. Then add in the white vinegar, sugar and olive oil, mix well.
4. To cook the scallops, simply heat up a frying pan then add in a small amount of olive oil. Then sauté the scallops until they’re golden brown, each side for about 1.5 minutes.
5. Assemble the prepared parsnips, strawberry vinaigrette, spring greens and cooked scallops before serving.