Stages of Decomposition
1. Fresh: chemical breakdown of the body but not visually apparent. Algor, rigor and livor mortis starts to happen but no decomposition odours
2. Bloat: gasses accumulate in the body from anaerobic activity in the abdomen and odours begin. This stage ends when the body deflates.
3. Active decay: body is wet from the decomposition fluids and strong odours begin. Flesh begins to disappear.
4. Advanced decay: Flesh is mostly gone and body begins to dry
5. Dry remains: No odour and bones are exposed to the elements (animals, environment)