Here’s a lovely spread for all of you out there who are new to tarot, recently received a new deck, struggle with bonding with your deck(s) and/or are having issues getting clear or understanding readings. Sometimes decks have personalities to them, they have their own likes, dislikes, alignments and even preferred ‘work’ to go into. They also often require bonding to get the most accurate smooth readings. I have explained before the differences in my decks and what they like to answer, and I know of others who struggle bonding or understanding who their decks are. This spread should be of help!
1. How is your deck feeling today? Are they in a good mood ready to work? Or are they just having an off bad day? I have found decks, like people, can have moody bad days. These days their readings may be harsher than usual or even not even slightly logical. Its good to see what mood your deck is in before using it for readings, especially readings for others (and especially if they are paying for them). This may also affect the questions they will wish to answer.
2. What element does your deck align with? All decks are different and some may align themselves with specific elements. Is your deck fire, water, earth, air, spirit or a combination of them? This may affect the manner which they read. Air decks may be more interested in giving creative advice and focus on individuality, free-spirited natures, the arts, and even love. Water decks tend to focus on emotions and seeking gentle fixes. Fire decks tend to be the most assertive, they are competitive, encouraging, brave, passionate but also tend to support the idea of feuds. Fire decks, also from my experience, tend to be very blunt about things. Earth aligned decks tend to be a bit calmer, they focus on bonds with people such as family and friendships. They also focus on careers, prosperity and money matters. Spirit decks, tend to like to do more of the ‘divine’. They focus on self-enlightenment, self discovery and communicating with supernatural forces, guides, and deities.
3. What Questions does your deck enjoy answering? Does your deck enjoy answering questions about love? Friends and family? Do they enjoy giving personal advice? Do they like money matters and career focuses. This could determine what questions they may be the most accurate and ones they will give the best advice on.
4. What Questions does your deck least like to answer? These are the questions they may not have the most accurate advice on. Such as my Rider deck greatly dislikes romance questions so I never use him for them because he will always just advice break-ups no matter the situation.
5. What is your deck’s current feelings towards you? Does your deck feel close to you? Is it a strong professional business bond? Or is it more like a friendship? Do they feel distant from you? Like you ignore them? Do they not understand you or feel like you are a stranger? Do you intimidate them?
6. How can you improve your relationship? How does your deck feel like you two can do to help build your relationship? Practice more or perhaps make spreads.
7. A Negative trait. Pretty self explanatory, this is a negative quality about your deck that it feels you have a right to know about. Take note that this is a negative trait in the mind and views of your deck, its something it feels is negative.
8. A Positive trait. Again, pretty self explanatory, this is a trait that your deck feels is a positive trait it has. Again, this is a trait seen as positive in its mind.
- I really like the idea of him being like Captain Holt from B99.
- He once stared at a wall for five straight hours. Momo declared he was obviously thinking about life itself. He was actually just wondering what would happen if Pinocchio said “I’m lying.” When he told Izuku later they delved into a very intense conversation that has yet to be settled.
- His worst subject is English.
- His favorite color is yellow. When asked why, he just shrugs. But in reality its because his mom really liked keeping marigolds in the house when he was younger.
- This boi can style hair. Nobody believes him for a long time when he accidentally made a snide comment about it. Kiri is the only one who bothers to see if its true, and sports some crazy braids for a couple days. The girls are too scared to really ask for him to theirs tho. They don’t realize he actually really likes doing it. It reminds him of sitting around his mom’s hair salon.
- Cannot tell a joke. He’s tried. Three people left crying, and somehow Izuku was pissed. Nobody talks about that day.
- “Sorry for the mean, awful, accurate things I said.”
- Has gotten into a screaming match with both a parrot and a kitten. The Bakusquad no longer takes him to pet stores.
- “My last fuck just flew out the window, right behind Todo’s.”
- Really likes to ask questions. No one is safe. “Seriously, Shoji, do you have an actual mouth or…?”
- Is that person who would own a tarantula and name it Sweetums.
- Has drop kicked Mineta roughly seventeen (17) times. She’s going for a world record.
- Has a really nice voice.
- Has never actually played a pokemon game. Prefers Digimon. Kirishima nearly disowned him.
- Actually really respectful of personal bubbles. Mostly cuz he’s scared he’ll accidentally electrocute you. Hugs are rare.
- Never actually falls asleep during class. He actually just daydreams about random stuff.
- Irrationally scared of being invited to a pool party. Only swims if he’s the only one in the pool. But he’s not much of a swimmer to begin with.
- Hates texting. Prefers phone calls.
- She discovered her quirk by hitting the coffee table during a fit. They couldn’t figure out how to get it down for three hours.
- Is actually really fascinated by architecture.
- Her bucket list consists of going on a bungee jumping spree in which she makes herself levitate halfway down to give the people running it a minor heart attack, and learning how to tango. She cannot dance, so the second thing will take a while.
- Not a morning person. She’s actually rather terrifying.
- Is not afraid to deck someone for touching her or her friends without consent. Bakugou witnessed this once, and she has since unknowingly earned his respect.
- Will cut your sandwiches into fun shapes and goes into mom mode when her friends are sick. Has carried nearly everyone to Recovery Girl for being sick with the flu.
- Her mom likes to tell her that her hair is like that cuz of a curse that was put on her as a baby. She believes her a little more everyday.
so @okieclover and I have an au in which a hero!Hitoshi and villain!Deku are dating each other without knowing the other’s affiliations for a while, and then it gets hilarious bc villain!Deku causes headaches and more work for his beloved hero
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
but they have some quiet nights/days when they put aside their hero/villain work and just chill in Hitoshi’s apartment, and when Aizawa comes for a visit he sometimes find them like this
She was lying face down on his carpet so he was
left to interpret the muffled “yrsfh”.
She hadn’t said no to him yet so he gave in to precedence.
“Does Chat Noir know?”
Marinette didn’t answer him right away so he
leaned over the side of the couch to look down at her. She turned her face so it was no longer
buried in his rug and one very blue, very wary eye peeked up at him.
“No,” She whispered. “No one was supposed to know.”
It had been like this for an hour now.
She seemed to still be coming out of shock. After all, it wasn’t every day your classmate
stumbles upon your biggest secret.
Adrien wished, not for the first time, that he had chosen any other
alley, if only to spare her whatever she was feeling right now.
“I’m sorry,” He said, again.
She turned her face back into the carpet. “Snrt yr fawl.”
And, really, it wasn’t.
Not when he considered the increase in akuma
attacks over the past few months or the fact that he and Marinette had been
circling each other for over a year. In
fact, Adrien was surprised that they hadn’t stumbled upon each other
It really was obvious now that he knew.
Of course Ladybug was Marinette. There
was no one else in Paris like her.
And if, after the warm, pink light faded, her
startled eyes met his with anything but absolute despair he wouldn’t have hesitated pulling her to him.
As it was, he had still been reeling from the
gunshock that was watching his beautiful classmate (had she really been so close) transform into his beautiful partner,
when she crumpled in on herself shaking no,
no, no, no.
And when Adrien finally did realize what was happening and started to move forward she was
already up, fragile and broken and strong.
“Don’t say a word.”
Caught in the steel of her eyes he could only nod
before she threw her yoyo up and out, vanishing from the alleyway.
me: i hope someone gifts me my first tarot deck. it’s the “rules“ me: okay, i’ll just buy my first deck. what could be the harm? me: free readings to practice! me: my inbox is at 50 reading requests. i’m scared. me: whoops my hand slipped on that amazon order. me: WHERE IS THE MAIL PERSON?!?! me: okay but why doesn’t that blog ever tag their decks? -___- me: Out of Print you say? What kind of MONSTER are you?!?! me: omg i have more decks than I do friends me: this deck is the asshole of the bunch, are you sure you want me to use it for this reading? me: feedback please me: i’m pretty sure that anon didn’t read my reading rules. me: so many kickstarter decks, so little money me: what have i done. i started off with just one.
There’s a lot of tip posts out there but I thought I’d just post a few of my own. These work if you’re just getting started or just thinking about getting started.
Finding the deck for you
IT IS NOT BAD LUCK TO BUY YOUR OWN DECK! Please, it’s alright, and it doesn’t have to be new either. Take your time, shop online and/or offline at local book stores or metaphysical shops, find the deck that really calls to you and buy it. DO NOT steal a deck. I shouldn’t have to tell you that it’s immoral (especially when it comes to taking from shops that are probably struggling to stay afloat) but it’s also illegal. If you still feel weary of buying your own deck, have a supportive friend or family member buy it for you.
Shop around for your deck, there are lots of places to look. I could provide you links but honestly, google is your friend.
Don’t feel pressured to get a standard Rider-Waite over a stylized one. Get whatever speaks to you. Tarot is very visual, and so if the visuals on the cards don’t speak to you, you’ll have a harder time reading the cards. A standard RW deck will fit more book definitions and imagery, but by no means is it the deck you *have* to start off with.
So you have a deck, now what?
First thing you’re going to want to do is charge and cleanse your deck.What do I mean by charge? To charge is to attune the deck to your personal energy. You can do this many different ways:
Leave the deck under your bed/pillow for a few nights (I have never done this, sounds uncomfortable, but w/e floats your boat.)
Leave it on your altar with some personal items/crystals/trinkets for a night or two.
Wrap it in a cloth or place it in a bag or box of your choosing, maybe add some personal items or touches and leave it there for a little while, maybe carry it in your purse or bag, whatever feels right.
Once it’s charged/attune you’ll be ready to give it some good shuffles and start reading. If you bought it used or you think it might have been handled a lot before you got it, you’ll want to cleanse it. Cleansing is great before you charge it to get rid of any lingering energies or in-between readings to keep it fresh. You can do this a few different ways:
For a light cleanse pass the cards through some incense smoke. Lot of people ask, which kind of incense? And honestly, I’m sure there are people that will tell you a certain one is better than another, but I just use whatever I feel like using.
For a medium cleanse use the incense and then leave the deck out (on your altar or dresser for example) with some quarts crystal on top of it. Quarts is great for absorbing negative energies.
For a heavy duty cleanse (and keep in mind, I’ve only had to do this once), use the incense, then place the deck on a plate or flat surface with the quartz on top. Then put a salt circle around the deck (around the edges of the plate, try not to get too much on your cards since salt may damage them.) How long you leave it there is up to you. You might want to give it another pass through incense afterwords and re-attune it to your energy again.
All charged and ready to go, what now?
START READING. Shuffle cut and deal, my witches. It’s as simple as that. If you want to read the booklet that came with your deck (most do, but not all) then go for it. (If it didn’t include a booklet, you can easily find the information online for free.) You might find some test spreads in that book. By all means, try them out! But don’t feel trapped by using spreads–free styling is good too!
Read for yourself and anyone that will let you. Do a morning reading to see what your day will be like, or ask any question you feel like. Do readings for your friends and family! Practice practice practice!
Don’t be afraid of getting it “wrong”! Even people (like me) who have been reading Tarot for years get stumped on the meanings of the cards sometimes or misread the message they were trying to send. It’s okay!
Follow your gut. Your intuition is what will help you read the cards way better than just memorizing the meanings you found in a book or online. It takes time to trust that gut feeling though, so don’t be hard on yourself if you struggle in the beginning.
Record your readings! Be sure to include what you asked, what deck you used, what the book says it meant, and what you think it means. It’s great to go back (sometime later) and see how you were right or if the cards meant something else.
Take it one card at a time. Tarot has a lot of cards, each card is full of dozens of meanings and interpretation. It’s daunting at first, so start slow, one card at a time. You could pull a card daily to study, or just go in order. While you study traditional/book meanings, make sure to leave room in your notes for your own thoughts and feelings about each card. There is no right or wrong way to read a card.
Having trouble narrowing down the meaning of the card? I see a lot of beginners struggle with this part, and I don’t blame them. There are a few things that will help you narrow it down. First is what was the context of your question? How can it apply to the situation you were inquiring about can help narrow it down. Taking into consideration the cards around it may also help (assuming you pulled more. If you didn’t, some people pull a clarifying card, which is another card to help narrow down the answer.) If all that still has you stumped, write it down and come back to it later, it may come to you.
Patience is a virtue. Time is your friend in tarot, especially when it comes to growing, understanding, and learning. There will come a time when you need to step away from Tarot, and that’s okay. Give yourself time to understand it, and know that as soon as you think you’ve “got it figured out”, the cards will always come back to surprise you.
I hope these tips helped. Like I said, there are a lot of great tip posts out there that go into more detail. A search through the #tarot tag should help! Best wishes! <3
bill denbrough : the smell of fresh cut grass; papercuts; the feeling you get when you chug a glass of ice cold water after a run; sloppy handwriting; bitten nails; being afraid, yet thrilled, about getting lost; sprinting across an empty football field; burning your tongue on hot drinks; photobooths; pushing friends in a cart in the store;
stan uris : the first inhale after coming up from swimming; clotheslines; baby blue; freashly clipped nails; cold lips kissing warm hands; tracing shapes on a lovers back; violin music; gasping between kisses; fruit infused water; tears on your best friend’s sweater; calling friends swear words while grinning; the shuffling sound of a deck of cards;
richie tozier : jumping into an autumn leaf pile; the feeling of a big drop on a roller coaster; hands caressing a lover’s cheeks; long eyelashes; thin blankets; hickeys; screaming at the top of your lungs; headrushes; throwing a punch at someone; writing on a chalkboard; washing dishes alongside a loved one, humming, and kissing each other’s cheeks; party tricks and hidden talents;
beverly marsh : french braids; lighthearted debates that turn into yelling matches; ice cream melting on your fingers; fish tacos; button up shirts with dainty underwear; caffeine addiction; long nails tapping on a desk; a sharp inhale when making out; feeling light-headed after a sleep in; winning a stuffed bear at the fair; giving someone a thirty dollar tip; warm coffee going cold;
ben hanscom : whistling; finding an onion ring in your fries; picking up bits and pieces of languages while traveling; waking up ten minutes early; a collection of partially filled notebooks; the crack of a baseball hitting a bat; the sound of shes against loud wood floors; studying on the green; wearing someone else’s jacket; writing with your non dominant hand;
eddie kaspbrak : blushing from ears to chest; lightning bugs on your hand; aching fingers and wrists; cursing when spilling coffee over your notes; running your hands over tall grass; doodling on a lover’s skin; your lips and fingers turning red from berries; resting your head in someone’s lap; sloppy handwritten love letters; sneaking into an open window; the moment before you get picked up for a first date;
mike hanlon : tilting your face towards the sun; jumping as high as possible on a trampoline; tapping toes to the beat of a song; apple cider; the scent of an extinguished match; broken cinnamon sticks; the smell of sharpened pencils; dancing in the rain; random bloody noses; eating all of the chocolate in an advent calendar at once;
Refer to people you love as national treasures to both show how much you appreciate them and simultaneously let them know that you are fully prepared to protect them from nic cage when he comes to steal them in the night
requested by anon and @josmottt - sorry it took so long! orz it’s ya boy, back with another (overdue) headcanon / scenario post! i mean to post this for the longest time now, but i never got the chance to. i’ve got notes on this piece that i might post; who knows? also, this is really, really long, but i hope you enjoy it! yoosung’s continued scenario (as well as the scenario of the other members) is found under the cut. this is essentially a sequel to RFA + When They Realize They’re in Love, but i did my best to make this a stand-alone scenario post! though i do recommend giving that a read just to build it up better :D a reblog/like would be greatly appreciated, and if you have any headcanon requests, feel free to send them my way! <3 enjoy!
RFA AND V + THE FIRST TIME THEY SAY “I LOVE YOU”
like his heart is going to burst.
wouldn’t be so nervous with playing video games. They were his food at this
point, and he was so attuned to playing them that they became part of his daily
life. Hell, he could probably live out his entire life with only video games to
get him going. However, he had promised his mom that he was going to try to be
healthier. Though, with the warmth of his object of affection right beside him, he was pretty sure he
wasn’t going to last long with the state his heart was in.
tries to focus on the wide screen and blaring speakers set up in front of him,
but the way she nearly leaned against him, brushing his shoulder ever-so slightly
with her own, was enough to make him chant all the prayers he knew under his
breath. He told her he was doing a chant of victory, part of the game and all
that. Yeah right, he thinks, taking a
deep breath from all the praying he had subtly done. He dodged an incoming
attack, letting the high-pitched squeak of [Name] bring him back to his senses.
was a close one!” he heard himself say, subtly taking a glance at the woman
beside him. Yoosung had invited the woman to his home to play a co-op campaign
of LOLOL, seeing as the other RFA members had turned down his offers. Stupid, he thinks to himself. What made
him think his heart was ready for this? He plasters on a wide smile as she shoots
him with one of her own. He hurriedly turns his attention to the bright screen,
hoping the heated blush on his pale face wasn’t obvious.
pretty sure [Name] was fully aware of her feelings for him, which terrified him
as he had never felt this way about anyone. What if he looked stupid in her
eyes? He was certainly the most naïve one in RFA; he accepted that, but what if
that was a huge turn off for her? She was practically the definition of
perfection in his eyes, even if she reminded him over and over that she was far
from it. All of her flaws, her insecurities, her everything- she was absolutely divine, and he was anything but.