FRANK REPS Makeup Artist Kristi Matamoros and Set Designer Kadu Lennox work with photographer Sebastian Kim, editor Natasha Royt and model Julia Nobis on the story “Strong Suit” for Vogue Australia, December 2016.
You will never be able to ban every trans person from serving in the US military.
Do you want to know why? Because there will always be people who sign up to serve who don’t know they’re trans yet.
Does that make you a little incredulous? You’re not alone, Trent Franks, a Republican US Representative from Arizona said: “It seems to me, and all due respect to everyone, that if someone wants to come to the military, potentially risk their life to save the country, that they should probably decide whether they’re a man or woman before they do that.”
You know, trans people would love to know earlier in life whether they’re trans or not. I encourage Rep. Franks to aid us in that goal by supporting early education to children in public schools on gender issues, what it means to be trans, and guiding them to examine their own gender identity and ask questions as to whether they’re actually the gender they’ve been assumed to be all along. Doing so early in life would help trans individuals know what they are before signing up to serve their country in the military. Without the encouragement and opportunity to examine their own gender, and the education to understand what that truly means, trans people will always be signing up for the US military without knowing that they’re actually trans.
But wait, do you oppose educating children about trans issues? Do you think it’s “too early?” Then you can’t say that figuring out while you’re in the military that you’re trans is too late. It’s either support us early in life or deal with us when we show up later. We’re always going to be here. We can’t be expected to magically know what our own gender is if you never even tell us early in life that our gender was something we could question.
For people wondering how to take action post-election of a racist demagogue (pulled from Twitter and cleaned up):
Make a spreadsheet or a file for your representatives with names, addresses to their offices, phone numbers, and contact forms. Put everyone there. Make a note in your calendar app to check in on issues once a month.
Pay attention to news. If you get angry, upset, or worried, seek support from friends but ALSO shoot these reps an email, too. Be courteous but firm and blunt. It’s a numbers game. Often we remain invisible because we don’t go to events and rallies and can’t be physically present. But we can attach our names to emails, we can write letters, we can be vocal. We don’t have to be invisible.
You can do this with your national reps, state reps, and local reps. If someone reps you anywhere, note them. Open a line and revisit it. It’s hard work and slow. One email at a time. One letter at a time. One call at a time. Emails are easy these days, so splurge every few months on a stamp and send a letter if you can. Put your humanity in front of these people. Flout it. Some won’t care, but others will. Change ONE mind and results can cascade.
Rural areas are bubbles full of bigotry and now it’s newly revealed. But we white people who live here have the clout and power! We can speak up when our reps say terrible things, and do terrible things, and vote terrible ways. We can go “I am disappointed in you.” It’s work, but as we’ve seen the last six months, it’s time for us to do that work. If someone goes “who are your reps” you gotta know. If you don’t know and you’re mad about this election, it’s time to create that file and keep it with you and use it.
The time for social media rants only is over. Or, do those, but maybe pull those threads out into a paragraph and send them to your reps. And don’t ONLY email or contact when things go badly. Also reach out when things go right. Even if they voted AGAINST something. Treat them like you would want to be treated if you were wrong or mistaken. But we’ve gotta reach out and let them know we’re here.
Anyway, I know this is hard work. If you need help collecting your reps, give me a ping via DM and I’ll help you get started.
Texas adoption agencies could ban Jews, gays, MuslimsTexas adoption agencies could ban Jews, gays, Muslims
got this off the wire so it’s real.
Not really for this tumblr but jesus what is WRONG with the United States? I grew up believing that the US was the place to be, they had more freedoms than we did, were more progressive and prosperous than us. As I get older it become more and more clear that the states is closer to a dictatorship than democracy when it comes to the political scale. .
Sat 1:24 pmSat 12:53 pmSat 10:39 amSat 10:21 amSat 9:55 am Meredith Hoffman, The Associated Press
Texas adoption agencies could ban Jews, gays, Muslims
AUSTIN, Texas — Parents seeking to adopt children in Texas could soon be rejected by state-funded or private agencies with religious objections to them being Jewish, Muslim, gay, single, or interfaith couples, under a proposal in the Republican-controlled Legislature.
Five other states have passed similar laws protecting faith-based adoption organizations that refuse to place children with gay parents or other households on religious grounds — but Texas’ rule would extend to state-funded agencies. Only South Dakota’s is similarly sweepingly.
The bill had been scheduled for debate and approval Saturday in the state House, but lawmakers bogged down with other matters. It now is expected to come up next week.
Lemme tell you a thing my friend and I texted each other about last night because I was watching the swim matches
- So everyone but Reyna, Frank, Calypso, and Nico rep team USA. Reyna reps PR, Frank Canada, Calypso Greece, and Nico Italy
- Obvs Percy is swim. Her like one of the best (definitely freaked when he first joined the team and got to train with Micheal Phelps
- Hazel does equestrian aka horse riding. Frank fucking DOMINATES archery, like no contest. Reyna switches every Olympics between taekwando and fencing, not that anyone’s complaining. Piper slays at gymnastics and Annabeth used to do beach volleyball with Selena before she retired and this year she’s teaming up with Rachel Elizabeth Dare
- Percy freaks when he finds out, like this is awkward and he goes to Jason to talk about it. Jason, unhelpful as ever is like talk to piper and she just laughs
- Speaking of Jason, until this year he totally only want to cheer Piper on. But now he has embraced his inner white dad to do golf now that it’s back
-Actual conversation on the plane.
Jason: Pipes Flaherty is announcing golf
Piper: Thats cool babe. Did you know the opening. ceremony-
Jason: BUT BABE. FLAHERTY
- Nico is hella doing boxing. Leo brings in gold for BMX cycling and his badass gf is a champ diver
- Everyone asking Frank and Hazel how they deal with their SO being on different teams and they’re like “just as long as they stay safe I’m good” (and for those of you who don’t know equestrian can be hard because horse bucks or freaks out and boom rider in danger)
- Percy and Annabeth on the other hand are so sarcastic with their teasing. Like “no gold you’re sleeping on the couch”
- Leo meets Calypso on the plane when they’re stuck sitting next to each other and hating each other at first but falling in love in Rio
- Nico meets Will (an on site medic) when he breaks his nose in a match and Will being like you’re seeing me before every match you have if you win this one and that’s how they fall in love
- And everyone gets together to see Annabeth and Rachel win gold and after they do Annabeth gets a little sick and Will (everyone’s fav on site medic) checks her over and is liek, honey you’re pregnant
- Percy freaking out when she tells him because holy shit we were gonna do the next ones and training and going with a little kid is gonna be so stressful while everyone else laughs at him
- Just imagine Percy sitting with their little girl on the beach as Annabeth trains with Rachel
- Leo and Calypso babysitting the little girl during opening ceremonies because they can’t march because they compete the next day. Leo giving her all the junk food and Calypso singing her a Greek lullaby
- This little girl growing up with her brothers (twins who were born when she was three) growing up and the boys teaming up for beach volleyball while she does diving
In 1926 the great illusionist conjured up one of the most entertaining congressional hearings in history. Testifying on a bill making it a crime to be a fraudulent fortune teller in the nation’s capital, Houdini castigated the mediums and vociferously defended their victims. Calling witnesses (including his wife!), producing a “sucker list” and other evidence, accusing audience members of fraud, Houdini enthralled some of members of the House Committee on the District of Columbia, such as Rep. Frank R. Reid of Illinois who kept asking the chairman for more time for Houdini to speak. Others he seemed to have angered or confused. Nevertheless, the bill did not pass.
Hearing Testimony from From Harry Houdini on HR 8989, a Bill to Impose a Fine on Fraudulent Fortune Tellers in the District of Columbia (HR 69A-D7), 3/20/1926, Records of the U.S. House of Representatives
FRANK REPS Makeup Artist Kristi Matamoros, Hair Stylist Tuan Anh Tran and Set Designer Kadu Lennox work with photographer Benjamin Lennox, stylist Alex Paul and model Edita Vilkeviciute for Calvin Klein Performance, F/W 2015.
No, actually, I think it’s Franks that has read and doesn’t understand the bible. Remember the story of the sheep and the goats Rep. Franks - if you do NOT do it unto the least of these you have not done it unto me now depart from me, you evil doers and hypocrites! Remember this story? Ringing any bells?