This may be stupid, but is it okay to kill a side character for main character development? Thank you and have a good day!!!
I don’t recommend it. At the very least, the character needs to have had another purpose in the story–preferably an important one–besides just existing to be killed off for character development. Also, you should generally avoid the following:
- killing female characters solely for the development of male characters
- killing POC characters solely for the development of a white character
- killing LGBTQ+ characters solely for the development of a straight character
- killing a character with a disability soley for the development of a character without one
- killing a child character solely for the development of an adult character
- killing an older character solely for the development of a younger character
These tend to not sit well with readers.
Have a writing question? I’d love to hear from you! Prohibited questions: howto portray/describe things (characters, emotions, situations), specialist knowledge questions (medical, military, mental health, etc.), asking for tropes/cliches or resources, triggering/controversial topics; broad, vague, or complicated questions. See master list & main site for more info!