Beauty and the Beast 2017 is a remake done RIGHT
ive felt the overwhelming need to rave about beauty and the beast since i saw it a few days ago. **SPOILERS**
lets begin from the start
- it would’ve been hard to go wrong with cast members like Emma Watson, Josh Gad, etc. i had extremely high hopes and was not disappointed
- Dan Stevens (beast) deserves some appluase for being able to wear that amazingly ridiculous makeup in the opening scene (i fucking loved it)
- the question of how the hell this village that is within a days ride of the enchanted castle is completely oblivious to its existence is explained
- they give Gaston a reason to be so creepily obsessed with Belle. i mean that doesn’t justify his behavior at all, but still. he’s just come back from a war and is clearly still exhibiting behavior (violence, dominance, desire) that are products of being at war.
- LEFOU !!!!!, i knew i would love Josh Gad in this role. “but she’s so well-read and you’re so….athletically inclined”
- they didn’t alter the core story/plotpoints from the original but instead, added some amazing content that really fills many of the holes from the original and more.
- Emma Watson’s portrayal of Belle is just phenomenal, she keeps the essence of the character while fleshing out some things that Belle sort of had (defiance, courage, wit) that were only hinted at in the original.
- We get a pretty plausible reason for the absence of Belle’s mother, and it explains why Maurice is a little bit odd.
- BEAST HAS A REASON FOR IMPRISONING MAURICE. its a stupid one. but at least its something. it always bothered me in the original that Beast locked Maurice up for no apparent reason other than the fact Maurice trespassed (to escape horrible weather mind you) and sat in his favorite chair???? at least here its because Maurice steals a rose (i said it wasn’t a very good reason). i also believe this concept is from the ORIGINAL story written by the french novelist Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve (don’t quote me on that though)
- MAURICE HAS AN ACCURATE REACTION (RUNNING OUT TERRIFIED) TO FINDING OUT OBJECTS IN THE CASTLE CAN MOVE AND TALK
- Ewan McGregor and Ian McKellan don’t need explanation for being amazing. (someone better invent immortality before Sir Ian McKellan meets his fate)
- Belle is badass, she TRICKS her father so that she can take his place because she fucking loves him so goddamn much
- Belle also has an accurate reaction to objects being able to move and talk. throwing a stool at them.
- the question of HOW the fUCK Belle got Beast up onto Philippe after the wolf attack on her own is finally solved (thank god that even bothered me as a child)
- we are told why the servants care for Beast so much even though he’s kinda dickwad AND we are told why he’s such a dickwad, not just cause he that’s who he is but because his father fucked him up
- Belle knows about the spell. not how to break it, but she knows that it exists and she knows that a human is behind all the anthropormorphic objects and Beast which makes it A LOT less weird that she falls in love with Beast. In the original, she knows the castle is enchanted but she has no idea about the spell so it’s kinda weird she falls in love with (what she thinks) is just a freak of nature.
- BEAST HAS A PERSONALITY AND ITS BEAUTIFUL AND SNARKY AND I LOVE IT HE TRIES TO BEFRIEND PHILIPPE ITS ADORABLE
- for some reason, it feels as if Belle in Beast know each other for a lot longer in the remake than the original which is nice.
- i will now take the time to rave about the music. it’s beautiful. the original songs are gorgeous and everything they added to them (altered words and such) make them better. i havent stopped listening to the soundtrack
- all newly composed songs are so good and fantastic additions
- EVERMORE (song sung by Beast when Belle is freed from him) HAD ME SOBBING, HIS VOICE PENETRATED MY SOUL
- Maurice and Belle are badass as fuck, i swear, partners in crime getting themselves out of the carriage so that Belle can go warn Beast. i died when Maurice just casually handed the asylum guy the picked lock.
- BELLE RIDES WITH PURPOSE YAS
- of course i have to note i was all for the gay lefou storyline
i feel as though i have probably missed some things but that about sums up my thoughts. I could go on about the technical side of it and commend the amazing CGI but that’s a whole other story that would just make this post longer than it already is.
i was so hesitant about remakes when Disney started doing them, but if the rest of them can be to this caliber - sign me up.