benefits of being a (american) football fan
and I’m referring to actual football (aka soccer).
1. You learn new things - it’s hard to judge how famous someone/something is in another country, so needless to say I was shocked when I saw today (thanks youtube) that Mats Hummels is in commercials????? I was so surprised like I had no idea he had been in one, let alone like tons??
2. If you run into footballers on vacation in the US, you can be quite confident no one else will recognize them
3. No one in your family can even name 3 European football teams so rest assured no family arguments at holidays about whose team is better
4. Football is always on early in the morning or very early afternoon. (I literally cannot imagine watching live football in the evening - mind blown). this leaves the rest of your day free…
5. You could literally support rival teams and no one would know the difference. I could support Liverpool and United, or Real and Barca and no one would think anything of it.
6. You get to watch amused when the World Cup comes around as people around you discover soccer and soccer players and (coincidently) how handsome they are - have you heard of this guy like named ronaldo? - all while you’re gagging inside at the mention of his name. (But it is gonna be funny to watch the US discover Pulisic next summer…)
That’s all I can think of for now - maybe I’ll make a disadvantages post sometime??