First watch - Voltron S1E11
Whoo! Finished the first season, yay! This was actually a pretty cool episode, but mainly in the space battle / this is our first encounter with the main enemies sort of way. But there were some other interesting developments:
- The way the team handles differing opinions and choosing a course of action is really interesting to me. They disagree and sometimes fight, sure, but it’s not really overwrought. Like when Keith suggests they don’t even go to save Allura at all, that would have meant like hours of on screen angst in another show, but here all the characters just kind of take the idea for what it is and move on.
- Keith’s character is also getting more interesting. He clearly thinks differently than the others and is pretty stubborn and headstrong, like the red lion I supposed. It’s done it such a way that I’m not finding myself annoyed by it. He’s not just going off half cocked because he has some sort of hero complex, I feel like he always does whatever he feels is necessary and it’s just that simple.
- More Shiro angst here. Really interested in the full story about what happened to him as a Galra captive and what that Druid lady did to him. Is his arm, like, evil? His main character arc is clearly one of control–of himself and the team. I think whatever this Galra magic is, it is something that he can conquer without “turning evil” like Zarkon and might be the thing that makes him ultimately have a stronger connection with the black lion.
- Which brings me to OMG Zarkon was the original paladin for the black lion? Here’s me just noticing that the black lion has purple energy just like the Galra empire.
- Was that a turncoat that helped them escape? Is there resistance within the empire? Much intrigue.