Vegan GF Mini Pizzas w/salad- 1 hour prep.Yields 2-4 servings with plenty of leftovers.
It was a Friday and I decided to take my first sick day - it was 70 degrees out! I really wanted to do something nice for Andrew and was originally going to take us out for a fairly nice dinner. Instead, I realized if I kept a similar budget and bought everything that it’d be a fun thing to prep on my day off, and also a good challenge. I also wanted to make my own pizza sauce, marinated vegetables, and salad dressing. The goal was to spent about $40 including alcohol, with ingredients left over. The total grocery bill was $41.75. This took a few processes for me, so I’ll list it in order of most time to least.
What I bought
1 package corn tortillas
1 package daiya cheese
2 bell peppers (only needed 1)
1 medium zucchini (½ small would have been fine)
1 box grape tomatoes
1 box mushrooms
1 package of love beets
1 large box of spinach
1 bottle cheap white wine
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes (only needed 1)
What I had
1 spiralizer - it’s a kitchen tool used for vegetables and it’s super fun !
5 kalamata olives
½” ginger root
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tbs lemon juice
1 8oz glass of red wine (happenstance, my sister brought it over)
Italian spices up the wazoo: rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, s/p
several containers with lids and or saran wrap
1. wash all veggies
1.5 Chill white wine in fridge, because classy
2. Dice up the following for pizza toppings and salad: onion, cucumbers, peppers, 2 beets, olives, mushrooms, avocado (if you’re eating soon)
3. Cut zucchini in 3-4 segments and spiralize (image below). You can also just cut this up in strips.
4. Set all things aside for prep
1. Add ⅓ cup diced peppers and onions, 1 tbs coconut oil, 6oz cheap red wine and plenty of your favorite italian spices into your saucepan. I added garlic powder to mine. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer. You want to cook off some of the wine.
2. Add 1 can fire roasted tomatoes to your sauce
3. Add in 5-8 small cherry tomatoes (optional)
4. Add in a pinch of sea salt
5. Let simmer 5-10 minutes, cover and set aside to cool.
1. Put 4 tbs apple cider vinegar, 1 tbs lemon juice, ½-1 tbs olive oil, ½” ginger root, 1-2 tbs maple syrup, and a touch of water in blender. Blend on high until salad dressing consistency. Cover and set aside.
1. Peel, shred, then cut 2 carrots
2. Put shredded carrots in container with lid. Add a touch of your dressing, enough to coat but not smother the carrots
3. Add in your diced olives
4. Shake like a shake-weight and put aside to marinate
5. Place diced mushrooms in container with lid. Add 2-4 tbs balsamic vinegar. Also shake like a shake-weight and set aside
6. Preheat your oven to 375 for your pizzas-to-be
1. Rinse 2-3 handfuls of spinach
2. In a big bowl add (to your preference): spinach, tomatoes, onions, peppers, ½ avocado, 1 beet, carrots, mushrooms, spiralized zucchini, and a bit of dressing. Mix and serve!
Good pizza ideas!
1. Lightly oil the bottom of a baking pan / pizza pan
2. Place corn tortillas on pan
3. Top with sauce and daiya
4. Add Veggies: Carrots, zucchini, beets, and avocados are great on pizzas
5. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on edges and crispy
6. You can put spinach on your pizzas too!
We had leftover everything besides wine. We used zucchini noodles, peppers and onions in another dish, tortillas for pb&j, froze the daiya cheese for future recipes, and gabriella has been eating leftover sauce like it’s hummus.