This past weekend I had the pleasure of meeting the boys from Stranger Things at the Days of the Dead convention in Atlanta (2/4/17) and seeing their panel. I thought I’d share some cool things the kids talked about:
- Finn got his first acting jobs off of Craigslist ads.
- Stranger Things
was originally called Montauk and
took place in Long Island.
- Before auditioning, the kids were sent movie clips to watch
from Jaws, The Poltergeist, Let Me In, E.T.,
Goonies to get a “feel” for how the Duffer brothers wanted the show to be
- At the auditions the boys read from the script of Stand By Me.
- Stranger Things
was originally going to be a mini-series.
- Gaten was the only person the Duffer brothers auditioned for
- Noah originally auditioned for Mike.
- The cast (with the exception of Gaten) complained that the
80’s clothes they had to wear were uncomfortable. They were even given “tighty whities”
to wear, which they said they refused to do.
- When talking about the technology from the 80s that they had
never seen before, Finn said that Millie had never seen a record player before
prior to filming the first season. The boys couldn’t believe this, because as
Finn said, “you can get one at Urban Outfitters.”
- Gaten said the worst scene for him to film was the scene
where Dustin and Mike are being chased by the bullies in the quarry because he
hates running. When told he needed to keep up with Finn, Gaten said “then Finn
needs to slow down.”
- In the last episode, the scene where Jonathan picks up Will
from playing D&D was improvised. Lucas says that Dustin farted, but he
originally said “Dustin sharted.” However, the voice was dubbed over in the
final cut because the Duffer brothers said that nobody said “sharted” in the
- Gaten said that his favorite movie is Saving Private Ryan. Finn’s is Trainspotting,
and Noah’s is Castaway. Caleb
couldn’t pick a favorite movie.
- Gaten’s new charity, CCD Smiles, should be up and running in the next month or so.
Plus some cute things:
- Finn said when he went to his audition he was excited
because the Duffer Brothers had bought him business class plane tickets, much
to the disbelief of Noah who said he was given an economy class ticket.
- Caleb corrected his own grammar once when answering a
- Noah recently bought Dungeons
and Dragons, much to the delight of the others who can’t wait to play and
they all exclaimed “let’s play tomorrow!”
- When the panel moderator said no more questions and thanked
the boys for coming, Finn said “Wait, we’re done? No we can take more questions.”
When the other boys joined in the moderator allowed 10 more minutes of
- At one point a lot of static came out of the microphones,
prompting the boys to say things like “hello?” and “it’s here.”