could i get some specific advice on how to get a part time job? long story short, ive had to raise my siblings since i was 10 in place of our mom due to her working all the time, so ive never joined any clubs or sports teams. Our family also recently moved cities so that i can go to college. a lot of the advice for teens (list extracurriculars and awards on resumes, ect) doesnt apply to me. im essentially starting late and from scratch. mostly im looking for ways to gain references i guess?
Check out our Job Hunting Masterpost.
In terms of gaining references, here are some ideas:
- A teacher whose class you did well in.
- A guidance counselor or school executive who you’ve worked with.
- An “Adult” in charge of a club you’ve been a part of (not sure if this applies to you).
- A friend of a friend who is an Adult and is willing to vouch for you.
- Anyone you’ve volunteered with or for in the past who can vouch for your work-ethic.
Remember that you have to ask people if they’re okay with being your reference before using them. But I’ve never had anyone turn me down, most people are honored to be considered.