Hi there I have an interview tomorrow and I'm not sure what is good for me to wear?
Job Interview Outfits
There are three rules to picking the perfect interview outfit:
- Simple + classic. You’re looking to wear a simple outfit (this means no crazy patterns or lots of colors) that you can highlight with an ascot or small piece of jewelry. You do not want your outfit to upstage your interview!
- Business casual. Potential employers will be put off if you don’t dress up for your interview. You do not want to walk in wearing jeans and a t-shirt under any circumstance. They are taking the time out of their day to meet with you, and they may see everyday clothes as a sign of unprofessionalism.
- The most important rule- wear something you feel comfortable in. You do not want to be shifting around uncomfortably in front of your potential employer. Job interviews are stressful enough, you don’t the added anxiety of a wedgie or heels you can’t walk in.
Some interviewers are ageist, especially if you’re someone who does not have an extensive resume. In this case you will want to appear older. Here are some simple steps that you can take to appear older:
- Wearing a tie
- Wearing heavy eye makeup
- Putting your hair up in a bun
- Similarly, slicking your hair back
- Growing a beard or facial hair of some sort
- Glasses if you wear them (as opposed to contacts)
- Darker colors: black, grey, brown