Did you guys really think you’d get away this year without my Favorite TV list??? (muahahaha) I’m back and I’ve brought the best TV (just in my humble opinion, of course) with me so LET’S DISCUSS.
Instead of doing the long and drawn-out individual posts like I have in the past, let’s just get right to it (if you follow me on Twitter you’ve already seen the list anyway!)
- The Leftovers - This show was so deeply weird and wonderful and heavy and surprisingly funny and original and beautiful and its final season was perfect perfect perfect perfect. It moved me like no other show did this year except for maybe…
- Halt and Catch Fire - Another perfect final season for a show that admittedly got off to a rocky start. I laughed, I cried, and then I cried some more. Beautifully done at every level. Gonna miss this one.
- American Vandal - THIS SHOW HAS NO RIGHT BEING AS GOOD AS IT IS. It is literally just a spoof on shows like Serial and The Jinx and Making a Murderer about high schoolers drawing dicks on cars and somehow becomes a pretty poignant teen drama full of characters you are somehow invested in. I don’t understand how in the world they pulled this off, but I loved every single second of it.
- The Good Place - The most brilliantly executed plot twist followed by a brilliantly executed second season. I hope Mike Schur keeps getting to make whatever he wants to make forever.
- Bojack Horseman - This is the third year in a row that this show makes the list, so I don’t really have much to say other than that the sad horse show continues to be the best.
- Big Little Lies - This could have easily been a soapy, melodrama about rich white ladies who live on the beach, but damn, this show had something to say. Beautiful and relevant and filled to the brim with complicated and messy women.
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - Just when I thought they were maybe going a little too hard on the ‘Crazy’ part, they turned this manic Fatal Attraction into a refreshingly honest exploration of what that ‘Crazy’ really means. All while still being ridiculously hilarious – this show is a shot of joy even when it’s at its darkest.
- The Young Pope - Look, you’re either gonna hate The Young Pope, or love it. There is no in-between here. This is batshit-insane arthouse nonsense at its finest and almost a year later I don’t think I could tell you whether this show is any *good*, but I do know I enjoyed the hell out it - though I don’t think anyone enjoyed it as much as Jude Law, which I think is a large part of what makes it work so well.
- The Deuce - A TV show about 70s era prostitution and pornography is…tricky subject matter to tackle, to say the least, but you can always trust in David Simon to bring warmth, humanity and even a little humor to the dark, forgotten corners of the world.
- The Handmaid’s Tale - A show that’s hard to watch but impossible to tear your eyes away from, and as scary as the most terrifying horror movies out there. Here’s hoping it remains just a fantasy…
And of course the shows that didn’t make the list but are really fuckin’ great and you should watch too: Better Call Saul, One Mississippi, Downward Dog, One Day at a Time, Glow, Mindhunter, Superstore, Catastrophe, American Gods, Brockmire
Thank you and have a nice day. The world may be garbage, but we’ll always have TV. ❤️