1 Vidalia onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 red bell peppers, diced
1 tbsp organic olive oil
6 criminal mushrooms, diced
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup tomato puree
2 tbsp tamari sauce
6 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups packed fresh spinach, chopped
2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, choppedSea salt to taste
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
2 tbsp Sucanat
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 package filo dough
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 cups basmati rice, cooked
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, garlic, and peppers in olive oil until softened.
- Add the mushrooms, cumin, curry, rosemary, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in tomato puree and tamari. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in tofu, spinach, and mint. Add salt.
- At the same time blend almonds, Sucanat, and cinnamon into a fine meal.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place two sheets of filo dough on top of the parchment paper.
- Brush filo with oil and add a thin layer of almond mixture. Repeat the process until 6 sheets have been used.
- Cut the filo stack into 2 rough square stacks. Place ½ cup of rice at the nearest end of filo. Top with one cup of filling.
- Fold the farthest end of the filo over so that the edges meet.
- Repeat with second filo square.
- Bake for 10 minutes.