Talk about a movie that hits on all cylinders (literally). I was hooked in the first minute and in love by the end of the first scene. What the critics are saying is true, Baby Driver is an instant classic and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it turn up in a future SAC course.
At the risk of staring the obvious: this remixed trailer is the shit and has been on repeat for like the last three days. —————
• The film was shot from Baby’s perspective. You see it in the camera work and you hear it in the audio. The most prominent example I can think of is how the camera moves with Baby as he dances, and the audience hears what Baby hears. The music gets louder when he turns up the volume, it’s louder on one side when he’s sharing earbuds with someone else, during meetings the audience only hears the song Baby’s listening to - we don’t can’t hear what Doc is saying until Baby repeats his plan back to prove he was paying attention.
• The MUSIC!! The pulse of this movie lies in it’s music. Have you ever seen a gun fight take place to the beat of “Tequila” by Button Down Brass? Cause it’s fricken awesome. Bullet shots, foot steps, cuts, camera sweeps, dialogue, background noises, it’s all paced to the beat of whatever song Baby is listening to (again, Baby is our narrator).
• Pacing like a Boss!!! This movie never lulled. It was long, but it didn’t feel long. It’s not easy to do that. I think the music and setting the pace of the film to the beat of the music is what really made Baby Driver fly.
• Let’s talk about how there was a Deaf character and HoH protagonist who’s disabilities aren’t treated as such. Baby and his dad carried out entire conversations in sign language and the movie absolutely treated it the same way as any other verbal conversation. We are given these Deaf/HoH characters who aren’t defined by being Deaf/HoH, but their being Deaf/Hoh isn’t ignored either. Their disability wasn’t made into a “thing” and in Baby’s case it was seen by some of the other characters (especially Doc) as almost offensive to think that, because he was HoH, Baby couldn’t do his job. Baby is HoH and he can drive circles around you in his sleep bitch, deal with it.
• The comedic timing in this film was spot. on. Visual gags, perfectly timed gestures/actions, and an inside Disney/Pixar reference that comes back in the greatest way possible. Bravo.
• 2017 is the year I go broke spending all my money on film soundtracks. Yet another great soundtrack that I will be listening to on repeat for weeks to come. (Also, way to make me miss the 90s, jeeze).
• The COLORS!!!! Omg this movie was beautifully colored and absolutely gorgeous. From the lighting, to the way they used the flash in car headlights when you turn them on/off, to the FRICKEN LAUNDRY. Honestly, I didn’t think laundry could be aesthetic but here I am.
• The 90s/iPod nostalgiaaaaaa
• A movie about crime and fast cars that actually has a decent plot - whaaaat??
• Hello John Hamm - the celebrity crush I didn’t know I had
• HELLO Eiza Gonzalez, where have you been all my life???
• An actual non-cringey relationship between Buddy and Darling?? I was pulling for their team, fam. They love each other so much it makes me want to gag. There was no room for tolerating any derogatory language/behavior toward Darling, she and Buddy shut. that. down! Honestly, forget Joker and Harley Quinn. If you want your “relationship goals” to be based around a crazy couple steeped in the dark life of crime I would like to introduce you to Buddy and Darling. Much healthier situation than J/HQ (though still not completely healthy cause, let’s be real, they’re a crazy couple steeped in the dark life of crime). ——————— 10/10 - wholesome crime fam vibes af
The Riverdale Core Four Lili Cole Cami & KJ are spotted filming at John Oliver school today and a lucky fan got lots of vids and pics with the foursome ~ [source] Here’s a compilation of all the shots of the four on set ~ looks like it’s a lunch outside kind of scene…