I'm trying to come up with a story and I've come up with some ideas for interesting characters but now I'm sort of stuck. What can I do?
(Stay tuned, tumblbud, there are some posts queued up for the next few days that you should love.)
Some writers start with characters rather than plot, and that’s fine. It can work. Let me recommend you this book, which is my number one go-to for when I have trouble with plots. Looking at common plot types can help you figure out what roles your characters are suited for, as well as what conflicts can drive them together/apart/to do things.
Think about your characters, too. What do you know about them? What pieces of their backstories speak to a larger story at play? Which of them is protagonist material for an epic quest? A character-driven drama? Do you have an antagonist in mind? What is the WORST thing you can do to these characters? Perhaps you’ll find your plot at the end of questions like these.
Some resources for you:
- The entire Master Plots book appears to be freely available here
- PDF version of the basics here
- Exercises relating to the 20 master plots
- Have characters but no plot?
- I have characters and world, but no plot!
- Setting and characters, but no plot/antagonists
Let us know if you have other questions.