a quick thing for Autism Acceptance Day/Month!!
how to support autistic people this month:
- don’t support Autism Speaks – it’s an awful “charity” that harms autistic people more than it helps them
- do support organisations run by and for autistic people, such as the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network ( @autisticadvocacy ) and the Autism Women’s Network ( @autisticwomen )
- don’t “light it up blue” for “autism awareness” – these things are heavily associated with Autism Speaks, and with the dangerous misconceptions it spreads about autism
- do use the hashtag #RedInstead to fight back against #LightItUpBlue
- do promote and celebrate autism acceptance (not just awareness!)
and, most importantly:
- do listen to what actual autistic people have to say – we know better than our family members, “autism experts”, or any non-autistic person!!