Tentative Feminist Summer Book Club List- What do y'all think?
First month: Introductions to Intersectional Feminisms
- “Feminism is for Everybody” bell hooks
- “Mapping the Margins: Intersectionality, Identity Politics and Violence Against Women” Kimberle Crenshaw
- “Disappearing Acts: Reclaiming Intersectionality in the Social Sciences” Nikol G. Alexander Floyd
- “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” Peggy McIntosh
Second month: Queer and Trans feminisms: Sexuality, Gender, Sex, and Identity
- “My Gender Workbook” Kate Bornstein
- “Doing Justice to Someone” Judith Butler
- “Orientations” Sara Ahmed
- “The Bodily Ego and the Contested Domain of the Material” Gayle Salamon
Final month: Representation and feminism: Pop Culture, Media, and Fatphobia [THIS IS WHERE I NEED A LOT OF INPUT TO SHAPE THIS LAST BIT UP! PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE RECOMMEND BOOKS/ARTICLES FOR THIS MONTH!]
- “Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters” Courtney Martin
- “Fat! So? Because You Don’t Have To Apologize for Your Size” Marilyn Wann
- Selected articles from bitch magazine
**edit** I am thinking of adding “Uses of the Erotic: The Erotic As Power” by Audre Lorde to the last month as a way to think about different ways of understanding and valuing ourselves that are not communicated to us through representations in society. Yes? No?
This list came from your answers about books and interests on the survey and then from other graduate students’ input about books and articles they thought would work well with the most popular authors and themes.
This is a tentative list! I’m going to set it to reblog a few times while I’m gone! I want you to look at it and tell me if you like it!
Obviously, this is all really informal and totally voluntary. If you only want to read one of the books off the whole list and just chime in on that discussion, do it!
Please let me know here or in my inbox what you think about this list. I am SUPER excited!