Instead of basing Prince Lotor on the original Voltron series please imagine the potential he has to be a good-ass villain or an unexpectedly sympathetic villain. For example,
- Lotor starts out by simply spying on Voltron, trying to locate their weaknesses and he notices Lance’s insecurities about being on the team and how he feels useless
- Lotor then decides to take advantage of said insecurities and somehow, possibly through Galra-Altean magic bullshit, get Lance to abandon Voltron
- He offers Lance attention, care, and affection, and Lance takes it, bitter about his former teammates
- Lance is sent a video message of his teammates, how they’re all worried about him and that, yes of course they need him
- Lance kicks ass and escapes Lotor
THERES LOTS OF OPPORTUNITIES HERE AS WELL! SUCH AS:
- LANCE HAVING A GODDAMN ARC
- Lotor realizing how similar he is to Lance in the feeing of uselessness and insecurities in general and either becomes an ally or fights him with everything he’s got to try to prove his worth like Lance tries to do
- Possible klance moments? Something along the lines of “We need you!… I need you.” or something
- Did I mention that Lance would actually show more depth of emotion??
- Possible bisexual or gay characters with Lotor possibly falling for Lance or Lance thinking Lotor is actually kind of pretty/handsome even though he’s a guy
I know Lotor was an asshole in the original series, but Pidge was a boy and a gremlin and Allura was… almost completely different.
Let Lotor be altered. VLD is a reboot, after all. Not a copy.