Is Editor K involved with the story-making of Kuroshitsuji or does Yana Toboso do it alone?
Hmm, that’s a good question!
From what I read so far it seems editor K has A LOT of say in the story making, but I’ve never heard that a specific character or an arc was created based solely on editor K’s idea, so I guess the overall plot and the characters are basically created by Yana herself :D
That said, here are some examples of how much influence editor K has:
- He often rejects Yana’s manuscripts and gives her concrete instructions what to change (e.g. he told Yana to elaborate more on Baron Kelvin’s past, source: “Downstairs with BB V”, vol.8)
- It was editor K’s idea to incorporate a “comedy part” in each arc (he seems to be quite paticular about “comedy” and “entertainment” in general)
- It was also editor K’s idea to make Grell a very flamboyant character
- Before starting a new arc, he and Yana always consult each other and do thorough research together
- Harcourt was actually supposed to be just a minor character but he was editor K’s (+ the assistants’ + the editorial department’s) favourite so he became a regular character
Judging from editor K’s tweets and past interviews, I have the impression that he has a very concrete, clear image of how a manga should be written, thus he can be insistent, but Yana on the other hand is very stubborn too, and definitely not at his beck and call^^; For example, back during the JTR arc Yana told K-san that she plans to draw Madam Red’s funeral and he was initially against it, but Yana insisted on her idea and in the end it was K-san who gave in^^; (BTW, K-san admitted that the funeral chapter turned out to be one of the best Kuro chapters)
So all in all, I’d say Yana has a lot of influence from K-san, but she doesn’t seem to be the type to be dictated to by anyone, either. And that’s probably the very reason why she and editor K seem to have quarrels with each other on a daily basis xD