My Theories about Faust and Blue Exorcist: A masterpiece
For me, being a German, Faust by Goethe is one of the greatest works of literature in the whole history of our country and those of you, who know it or read it, may have noticed the parallels between Faust and Blue Exorcist, especially when it comes to Mephisto. So I summarized the similarities and the more I thought of it, I came to some interesting AnE theories.
THE GIVEN FACTS
- Mephisto is born on August the 28th; Goethe has the same birthday
-Mephisto can speak German fluently, that’s why it’s ‘Eins, Zwei, Drei!’ not ‘One, two, three!’
- Mephisto can turn into a dog, same goes with Mephistopheles from Faust
- He can transfer peoples mind (here you should think about the manga chapter, where he took Rins and his mind to Gehenna). In Faust Mephisto did that too. (Auerbachs Keller)
- His pseudonym is Johann Faust, the original name of Faust, before Goethe changed it into Heinrich Faust
- As we discovered in the latest chapters, Mephisto makes contracts with people too
- He thinks of emotions like love as nothing more than imagination what is similar to Goethes Mephistopheles.
- The difference between the two Mephistos is that AnE Mephisto loves humans and what they create and the other Mephy thinks of mankind as gods biggest failure
- In Faust Mephistopheles has a bet (idk if that grammar is correct sorry) with god, if he could satisfy Heinrich Faust, so he would stop striving. He sees Faust as the perfect example for gods creation; striving for wisdom until his dying day. So, you remember the chapter when Mephisto broke the fourth wall and said that the third big need of humanity is wisdom? Knowledge? I bet he had his reasons for it and said it because of his own experience
- We also saw Faust and Mephisto in Fausts study room in a flashback ;)
According to these facts I think the story of Faust appeared SOMEWHERE in Mephistos past. After 'Fausts’ Death or the publishing of Goethes tragedy he went by the names 'Mephisto Pheles’ and 'Johann Faust’. In my opinion there are four candidates for the role of Faust:
- Faust himself in Mephistos past
- Shiro Fujimoto: He could’ve made the contract with Mephy and selled his soul to the demon king. In Faust Mephistopheles was aware of everything Faust did and everything that happened around him. He said he doesn’t know everything, but a lot. That kinda fits Mephisto, because in AnE he’s also often in the background and no one knows, what he’s up to. So that could be the reason, why Mephisto appeared so fast, when Shiro died and Rin used the phone. He didn’t need the call. He already knew what happened. A contract with Shiro also could be the reason why Mephy joined the order and why he lives in Assiah. Fausts contract made Mephisto his servant, who helps him whenever he needs it. So according to that, Shiro could’ve needed Mephistos help and Mephisto had to join the exorcists because of Shiros wishes. I guess Satan wouldn’t welcome Mephy with open arms bc of that, and so he stayed in Assiah and with the exorcists. It is also possible, that Mephisto had to accept Rin as an exorcist and a student at True Cross Academy, not because he wanted to but because Shiro said so and he had to
- Rin Okumura: Simply because he is the protagonist and that would make sense
- Yukio Okumura: Comparing Fausts and Yukios character traits, they have a lot of similarities. Think of that scene where Mephisto is talking about wisdom again: After he finished his speech about it, Yukio was the first one to appear. Faust and Yukio share their need for wisdom and their ambition. Faust tried to kill himself. Now think of Yukio and the chapter where he nearly committed suicide: You get it? I would like to look forward to Mephisto making a contract with Yukio and Yukio selling his soul to Mephisto.
It could also be, that Mephisto made the contract with Faust, Shiro AND Yukio and that’s kinda his hobby or something. In that case: History repeated itself.
Please skip that part, when you haven’t read the latest chapters and spoilers aren’t okay for you.
You’ve seen the clones in Section 13? In my opinion they symbolize Homunculus. Homunculus is a synthetic created human in Faust. The clones are also created, they’re no born humans or demons, they’re clones. Since I know that Homunculus dies because he shatters on Nereus’ wagon I suppose the clones get destroyed before they even get out of this glass thing they’re in.
So here comes the real fun: Mephisto in Faust said that it’s up to women to change his mind about love and to prove him wrong about what he thinks. Mephy is alive for a long time and lived through a long amount of time, where women had to bow down to men and weren’t independent, so he is used to shy and weak women. Girls like Shiemi make the majority of females he met in his life, so he would want someone who is determined, brave and strong and of course someone convincing. Otherwise you wouldn’t get him to even think about changing his opinion. But that’s not enough. Mephisto would need someone who is different from all the types of people he knows, the rare exception to the rest of humanity. So to summarize it: Mephisto COULD feel love and emotions like that, there was just no people to show him yet :)