Teen Model Career (part of the Fashion Career Updates!)
to give you guys a little sneak peek of the Teen Model career. Out
of the three branches in the Fashion Career, I chose Model to allow
Teens to do, since it’s been highly requested, and because plenty of
teens IRL are fashion models :)
are three levels, just like all teen careers. Special custom
interactions just for teens (teens can also “Research Fashion”
but it’s renamed “Browse Fashion Blogs” for them ;)), career
tones, a custom reward, and chance cards, of course :)
and teens who complete the model career will get a boost when joining
the Fashion career as an adult- they’ll automatically start off at
Level 4 :D
you guys excited for the Teen Model Career and the rest of the
Fashion Career updates? Coming next week! <3
Hispanic/Latino Jane Austen Castings: Pride & Prejudice “Es una verdad universalmente reconocida que al hombre soltero, poseedor de fortuna cuantiosa, le hace falta c a s a r s e .” A scheming, meddling mother. An out of control little sister determined to be a model at all costs. A best friend married to the most ridiculous man she’s ever known. Her favorite sister, Jane, about to leave and start her fashion career. The handsome Wickham determined to charm her. How is Lizzie supposed to also handle her mother’s schemes to see Jane married to the first man with money who looks her way? Oh, and then there’s his infuriating best friend…
Why "fuck her silence"? Maybe Louis wanted her to stay quiet on this whole thing?? Why does everybody in this fandom ruthlessly belittle this girl based on her public persona? If Louis is so great and you claim to love him so much, shouldn't you be supportive of his decisions??
Because Eleanor got a choice and Louis didn’t.
Because she got the luxury of being able to leave, of not being arrested, of not having her name dragged through the mud in the press (falsely, I might add).
Because the articles about her in this shit show are positive, career summaries and recaps of her time as his brave girlfriend while the Louis alternative has been to paint to him as a violent, uncontrollable asshole who punches people in the face at will.
Because she signed up for this again.
Because she doesn’t give a fuck about Louis beyond how his name can help her further her sad “fashion” career.
Because she’s never stood up for him in any way whatsoever, and has, in fact, disparaged him to several people I know.
I support Louis’ actions trying to help a woman who has largely done nothing to help him in 6 long years. I support his bravery and compassion in that moment.
But he didn’t choose this closet - the first or second version of it, and I don’t have to do shit to support that or her existence in it.
When I decided that I wanted to major in fashion merchandiser, I knew nothing about which career paths I could pursue. All I knew was that I liked the curriculum and that it combined fashion and business- two things I have a knack for. After doing extensive research, I learned that the opportunities were endless!
Here are 7 of my favorite careers, in no particular order of awesome-ness.
1. Fashion Designer
Yes, it’s true; you don’t need to major in fashion design to become a fashion designer. It is a common misconception within the world of fashion school students. However, if one has a natural knack for fashion design, and can or has already taught oneself the basics of sewing, another major could successfully be pursued. A fashion designer with a strong background in fashion merchandising (in this case a degree) will have extensive knowledge on trend-forecasting, branding, marketing, and other key factors in the success of an already-awesome line. While it’s true that an artful eye and raging sewing and fashion design skills are at the root, merchandising knowledge will gives a designer the upper-hand.
what a fashion designer does: study trends, sketch and design clothing, pattern-making, sew, attend trade shows, conduct fittings, communicate with clients
2. Visual Merchandiser
Although many fashion and art & design schools offer a major in visual merchandising, a degree in the more-general fashion merchandising can lead to a career as a visual merchandiser as well. You know those luminous, magnetic window displays you are drawn to when walking around downtown? The ones that no matter how hard you fight it, you just can’t resist pressing your nose and hands against? The ones that make your eyes glaze over, drool pour out, and your imagination run wild? That would be the work of the visual merchandiser, the creative mastermind whose job is to craft the most perfect window display that will draw potential shoppers and fellow dreamers into their store.
what visual merchandisers do: create holiday displays and store displays, rearrange fixtures, move merchandise to “floor set,” dressing mannequins, selecting and organizing overall store layout, applying decals and painting
3. Fashion Buyer
To all of my Shopaholics Anonymous peope, did you know that there is a such thing as a professional shopper? The main difference between this and your typical saturday morning shopping spree is that as a fashion buyer, you are picking and choosing for the masses. The job of the fashion buyer entails choosing what will be viscously clawed over in a particular store- AKA what a store will sell. Perfect for the trend-saavy, a fashion buyer pays close attention to what is “in” at any particular moment and stocks the store with items that will not sit on the racks decaying away all season. It is a real job and a crucial one at that. A fashion buyer is at the root of the determination of success of sales, and of a store itself, and can be one a brand’s strongest weapons.
what a fashion buyer does: meet with clients (suppliers) and maintaining a good relationship, purchase fashions, constantly follow and forecast trends, constant communication with clients, order clothes and negotiate prices, travel
4. Fashion Event Coordinator
Trunk shows, fashion week, mannequin modeling, model fittings- these should all be familiar to a fashion event coordinator. Like a conductor of a classical symphony, or the ringleader of a circus, a fashion event coordinator is what holds the big show together. Although on the outside it may look simple, this position is usually responsible for making sure every little detail runs smoothly- the creative visionary. “Fashion events” can constitute for a wide variety of things, but the most-coveted is definitely fashion week. Think Kelly Cutrone of Bravo’s Kell on Earth or MTV’s The Hills. The fashion event coordinator can have a huge impact on the success or humiliation of a designer or brand.
what a fashion even coordinator does: hire models, schedule and oversee fittings, book fashion shows, coordinate seating for fashion shows and other important events, finalize clothing and accessories choices, handle the public, plan event
5. Fashion Journalist/Editor
Another career that can surprisingly be created without major in the obvious field. Nowadays with the ever-blooming popularity of blogs, it seems as though every girl and her sister wants to be a fashion editor. It seems simple- writing about fashion and deciding the who what wear of a magazine; but in my opinion, fashion editors have one of the most difficult jobs in fashion. They must prepare each issue months in advance, oversee countless articles,pictures, layouts, etc. while juggling travel, staff, fashion news, and so much more. On top of that, as if there isn’t already enough competition in the fashion world alone, the top magazines are a whole new exclusive, dog-eat-dog realm. Although it is more work than the average person can handle, the right person, with extension knowledge of fashion, an eye for journalism form and layout, and a mammoth work ethic, can rise to the level of fashion publications such as Glamour, Teen Vogue, Nylon, and maybe even one day, Vogue.
what a fashion journalist does: oversee publication, create fashion magazine or newspaper, investigate fashion, fact-check, up-to-date on trends, designers, and shows, forecast trends, attend runway shows and fashion week, build reputation, select demographics, prepare months in advance, in charge of staff, develop image
6. Fashion Merchandiser
Duh! A fashion merchandiser must have strong visuals insight, a deep understanding of textiles, an articulate tongue, and of course, creative mind. So what exactly is a fashion merchandiser anyways? A fashion designer is the person who chooses the fabrics, textiles, and coloring of a garment. This is who is in charge of the image of a line of clothing in a way, and influences manufacturing by artistically combining the elements of fashion as the final step to a piece of clothing. Fashion skills are combined with business and production to assure the success of a garment.
What a fashion merchandiser does: works closely with designer, offers fashion and textile expertise, define target market, forecasting trends, selling to stores, negotiate with vendors
7. Fashion Marketer
Not to be confused with a fashion merchandiser, although the two often go hand-in-hand. As a fashion marketer, you play a huge role in the business side of fashion. I.E. strategic marketing (the way a brand is presented and sold) and evaluation of consumer habits. Marketing is the medium between the consumer and the brand, and is a vital role in a brand’s success or failure. This position isn’t all business, however. A fashion marketer must be fashion-savvy, and have a creative eye to create a memorable and unique campaign and image for a brand.
What a fashion marketer does: create a story for a brand, present memorable image, advertise, studie buyer habits, select and maintain specific demographic, design ads, marketing strategy
Boutique Owner. Or clothing store owner, but boutique sounds fancier.
Stylist. Think Rachel Zoe, minus the “I die.”
Costumer. Movies and concerts and runways- oh my!
Public Relations. Kelly Cutrone, you’re my hero!
Design Assistant. Every fashion designer’s best friend.
Store Manager. J.Crew, Marc Jacobs, Free People- the options are endless.
Internet retailer. Open your own store from the comfort of your laptop.
Pattern Maker. Cut and draw, just like in kindergarden!
listen,,, bev and richie friendship headcanons,, ,, are a must
YOU’RE RIGHT THEY ARE A MUST. THEIR FRIENDSHIP IS MY FAV.
also @beepsrichie came up with some of these with me so check out their awesome blog!!
- At first when Beverly joined the Losers, she was already friends with Richie but she could only take so much of him in a day. She got exhausted quickly by his loudness and she often thought he was acting this way just to get a rise out of her, which annoyed her. She felt like she couldn’t open up or get close to him.
- They really started to bond after sharing cigarettes became a daily thing. Before, when they were just casual friends, Richie could get a cigarette from her every couple of weeks. Now, she always came prepared, making sure she had at least two left when she arrived at the Barrens. Otherwise, she wouldn’t smoke herself.
- She also quickly learned they had a similar taste in music. This made them hang out more, sometimes just the two of them, sitting in the sun with a cig in one hand and a can of soda in the other (another thing she always came prepared with).
- They become best friends as soon as Richie starts sharing personal stuff with her. Its pretty sudden, just a typical day sitting by the quarry, but he opens up just a bit about his parents and his struggles with ADHD.
- After this she feels close with him. She knows that he doesn’t really have anyone to share this stuff with. He’d tell it to Eddie, but this is before the two start dating so he’s worried that Eddie will think differently of him.
- Bev can really relate to Richie’s shitty parent situation, since both of their folks are neglectful and don’t take good care of them. She quickly opens up to him about that stuff too, finding that he knew how to shut his mouth when they were talking about something serious.
- Bev is also the first person Richie came out to. It was another random time, but he was really nervous and nearly cried. It was even scarier for him than opening up about his parents. He thought that’d be the kicker of her having enough of him and their cig-soda sessions.
- Through all of it though, Bev was understanding and was a shoulder for Richie to lean on. They were each others support system when the people they were dating were not available for that position for whatever reason.
- Letting at least one person know about him liking boys and his crush on Eddie was such a big weight off of Richie’s shoulders, he almost completely changed after that day. After he knew she was totally supportive of him, Bev and Richie would talk about their crushes (and later boyfriends) to each other all the time.
- Bev is Richie’s wing woman any time he talks to Eddie. She gives him advice sometimes on how to act, especially because he goes even more overboard with the voices when he’s nervous.
- Every time Richie and Eddie flirt or anything good happens, Richie calls Bev right away. After the two boys’ first kiss, Richie and Bev scream on the phone to each other for half an hour. She’s so happy for the two of them.
- Before Richie and Eddie started dating, they’d be too nervous to hang out just to two of them so Bev would come along sometimes. This only happens a couple times though, because she’s always the third wheel. She tells Richie that he doesn’t realize how comfortable they are with each other; they don’t need her there. She’s happy to help anyways though.
- Richie tries to give the best advice he can when it comes to Bev dealing between choosing Bill or Ben. He tries to be rational with her, but there are too many feelings involved and she’s too scared to hurt either because she truly loves them both.
- Ultimately Richie says they should leave it up to a coin toss. Fate will choose for her.
- No matter who Bev is with, Bill or Ben, Richie is totally supportive and makes jokes about being the best man at the wedding. Bev appreciates him being there to listen, even if he’s not the best with advice.
- Richie and Bev are involved in theater all through High School, with Richie being in cast (always as the extravagant comedic characters) and Bev is the head of costume and makeup crew. Richie always drives Bev home from rehearsal, and they stop at the diner on Wednesdays. Its a tradition just between the two of them. He always drops her off down the street from her house so her dad won’t see.
- Richie will come pick Bev up in all hours of the night if her dad is being a piece of shit. If she can’t get out of the house, he’ll stay on the phone with her if she doesn’t feel like talking to Bill or Ben.
- As Bev gets more into her fashion career, Richie will help model her stuff for her. Being super tall and lanky, he can fit into her stuff and he makes sure to strut around the room to really show off the garment. This makes her laugh so much every time.
- He gets more comfortable with his masculinity as he gets older, so he’ll sometimes let Bev paint his left hand’s nails or put clips in the front of his now longer hair.
- In fact, Bev takes Richie shopping with her a lot. His normal sense of style is pretty atrocious, so she helps him pick out clothes. Together they look like the coolest hipster friends.
- They are concert buddies always, and hold hands so they could shove to the very front at the shows they go to.
- Double dates!!! All the time!!!
- They give each other stick and poke tattoos all over. Small stuff, even one matching tattoo. Eddie freaks out because he thinks they’re going to get Hepatitis.
- (@eddiesbadbreak and @stanleyuriis have a HC where Richie gets a tiny stick and poke E on his wrist and Eddie almost cries but is too scared to get a stick and poke himself, since it’s not sanitary. However, when he turns 18 he goes to a professional place and gets a tiny R to match)
- Richie and Bev always dance together at the talent shows in school, and always get one of the loudest applause. They’re really good at dancing.
- Richie plays the guitar when he gets into High School, but can’t sing for shit. Sometimes Bev will sing with him. She’s not amazing, but she’s definitely decent and they have a lot of fun. Bill, Ben, and Eddie get serious butterflies every time.
- As adults, Richie and Eddie always look forward to holidays and birthdays because Beverly always sends them the best gifts. She always tailors them suits that have the same color scheme but aren’t exactly the same, so they match. They always fit perfectly and could be worth thousands of dollars. They always look incredible.
- Any time Bev is in Beverly Hills, she stays at the Tozier household and they stay up late and drink and laugh their asses off and sing karaoke. They always have the most incredible time.
- Besides the people they’re dating/married to, Richie and Bev are each others biggest support systems all the way into adulthood!
Edit: I just wanted to clarify: I’m not angry about this, nor am I trying to insinuate that EA stole my ideas or content. To be fair, the ideas of modelling and/or fashion designing have been part of the Sims games in almost every iteriation of the series, and I definitely looked at some of the previous games for inspiration when I was creating the Fashion Career.
I can’t definitively say if EA steals ideas from modders. One thing that immediately comes to mind is Zerbu and his mods, though; Zerbu had created a Politician career long before we had the official one in City Living. And I also remember seeing another EA survey about “following your kids to school” which came out at least a full year after Zerbu created the Go to School mod. Did EA copy him? Maybe. Or maybe it was just a coincidence.
All I’m willing to think is that perhaps I inpsired them to bring back a fashion-inspired career to TS4 after seeing how (moderately) popular my career has been, lol
If I feel anything negative at all about this, it’s just a bit sad that the career I spent so much time and love making could possibly be made redundant by official EA content. Nothing I mod in can compare to official content, with a team of paid developers and animators behind it.
But hey, this pack might never be made….and even if it is, you’ll at least have my free “version” to play with if you don’t feel like spending $15-20 bucks on EA’s pack ;)