apparently the reason gayness was associated w/ reactionary politics by most bolsheviks was because the most famous gay men in imperial russia were archconservative aristocrats, such as the tsar’s uncle, famous for having many gay lovers, for ethnically cleansing all of moscow’s jews in 1891, & for crushing the radical student movement at moscow university
-So last night, as many of you know, I met The Jonathan Groff, who is as nice and as beautiful as you think he is!
So the only reason why I was standing across the street of 54 Below, is because my mom wanted to see how Jeremy was acting with other people ( she was convinced he was being rude to us last night, even though we both know he’s just kinda awkward)
- so we’re across the street, waiting for him to come out, but we notice the people at the stagedoor are not from the show, and that’s when we find out “oh Jeremy’s show is later! The earlier show just got out!”
- As we are about to leave, I spot a guy come out of the stagedoor and I poke my mom and say “That guy kinda looks like Jonathan Groff! But it’s probably not him lmao” and then my mom looks up what the previous show was and was like “ it is him!”
- so obviously we go over there, and my mom just kinda pushes me into the stagedoor crowd and my heart is thumping really bad. This random mom pats me on the backs and talks to me until Groff walks over.
- This random ass mom PUSHES me towards him and says “This young lady is terrified to meet you!” And obviously I must have the Deer in the Headlights look on my face bc Groff smiles at me and says all soft-spoken “Hi! My name is Jonathan!”
- at this point I’m still terrified so I say “H-hi! My name is Amber! I know you’re Jonathan!” And then I laughed awkwardly. The mom decides to butt in and say “She’s auditioning for Sprong Awakening soon!” And Groff was like “Oh cool! What song will you sing?” And I had obviously he was so close to me at this point hc we were about to take a pic together that my mind just blanked and I said “I don’t know yet!”
- After the picture he pointed to my shirt and said “I love that show! Watching it really calms me down, I was watching it right before I got here!!” And I smiled and was like “ Same!! What episode?” And he told me it was the one where Monica gets stung by a jellyfish and I laughed. I told him “Have a good night!” And he said “You too!” And went to go talk to other people and I DIED INSIDE
it’s so annoying when people are like “this person is being shitty against x minority they must not be that minority” bc like do you KNOW how much society pressures minorities to hate that aspect of themselves?? are you aware of the prejudice minorities face even within their own groups because of internalized prejudice?
idk just stop assuming everyone is a cis straight white dude by default even if they’re being shitty
A long-lost portrait of perhaps one of the most famous gay men in history by the Flemish artist Peter Paul Rubens has been found in Glasgow.
The portrait showing George Villiers, the first Duke of Buckingham, thought to have been James I’s lover, had been hanging in a National Trust for Scotland property and was believed to be a copy of the lost original, which had been missing for almost 400 years.
The masterpiece was spotted in the gallery of Pollok House by Dr Bendor Grosvenor from BBC4’s Britain’s Lost Masterpieces, who suspected that it could be the real deal.
The painting is the subject of an episode of the TV programme on Wednesday, which will show how layers of dirt and overpainting obscured Rubens’s trademark techniques.