If a good used book store feels a bit like walking into the living room of a particularly intellectually curious hoarder, then Hole in the Wall Books in Falls Church is the best used book store. Not only are the shelves so overflowing with books that they also line the floors, the walls are covered in old newspaper articles and pithy quotes, there are book reviews written by the proprietor taped to some of the shelves, and in place of plastic shopping bags the store uses old “Washington Post” plastic sleeves. Highly recommended.
Oh god, why is my mom so obsessed with me getting into the sunlight? I mean who cares that it’s nice out there? Fine, FINE I get it, “Humans are not sedintary creatures blah blah” “We were hunters and gatherers yadda yadda yadda” I’m goin’, I’m goin’!
There, I’m outside!
Huh, wow, it’s actually really nice out here!
It’s rather beautiful out here.
Nice breeze, no humidity at all, sun is bright and shining but not sweltering…
Muslim faithful throughout the world are currently observing the holy month of Ramadan. Observant Muslims participate in fasting (sawm), one of the five pillars of their faith, this entire Lunar month. Eating, drinking, smoking and sexual activity is prohibited from dawn until sunset. Along side restraining from bad intentions,desires, and superficial needs. The fast is broken at sunset with the evening meal called Iftar. Local customs define varying traditions, including differing types of food used to break the daily fast. [Children, women in pregnancy/menses, sick/poor health individuals, and those traveling do not have to fast.] During this time, Muslims are also encouraged to read the entire Quran, to give freely to those in need, give charity, and strengthen their ties to God through prayer. The fasting is meant to teach a person patience, humility and sacrifice, to set aside time to ask forgiveness, practice self-restraint, and pray for guidance in the future.
1. Chinese Hui Muslim girls read the Koran, Islam’s holy book, at the Niujie Mosque as they wait for their fast on the first day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in Beijing. (Andy Wong/Assocaited Press)
2. A man takes a nap in between prayers at a mosque in Kabul, Afghanistan during the holy month of Ramadan. (REUTERS/Adrees Latif)
3. A girl displays henna traditional paintings on her hand in front of a local Koranic school on the second day of Ramadan in Nigeria’s northern city of Kano. (Reuters/Akintunde Akinleye)
4. Palestinian Muslim worshippers break their day-long fast during a charity Iftar meal outside the golden Dome of the Rock in the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalemon July 14, 2013. (Astroawani)
5. In Panama City, Panama, a Muslim man performs Friday prayers in the Jama Masjid Mosque during Ramadan. According to Saleh Bhattay, one of the officials in charge of the mosque, there are approximately 8,000 Muslims in Panama.(Reuters/Carlos Jasso)
6. Bosnian Muslims Rasim Hamidovic , 55, his wife Esma Hamidovic ,45, and their two sons Talib, 9, left, and Muhamed Mustafa, 5, eat dinner together as they prepare to celebrate Eid al-Fitr, the holiday marking the last day of the holy fasting month of Ramadan, in the village of Vukovije, 72 kilometers (44 miles) north east of the Bosnian capital of Sarajevo. (AP Photo/Amel Emric)
7. A Sudanese man reads the Koran on the first Friday of Ramadan in a mosque at Umdowan Ban village outside Khartoum, Sudan. (REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah)
8. A Muslim girl arranges plates before iftar (breaking fast) meal in India at the Jama Masjid (Grand Mosque) in the old quarters of Delhi on July 11, 2013. (Reuters/Ahmad Masood)
9. Carli, the Ramadan drummer, walks the streets of Elmadağ in Istanbul, waking the inhabitants in time for Sahur, the last meal before a long day of fasting that starts with the call to prayer at sunrise. (Guardian/Jonathan Lewis)
10. Muslims offer Maghrib, the sunset prayer at Dar Al Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Virginia. Muslims around the world started their first day of fasting to observe the month long Ramadan. (Getty Images / Alex Wong)