1. The pain of falling embarrassingly out of your first love will be soothed by the amnesia created by the slow ease of drifting into your second love.
2. Do not dwell on the memories of the one you lost, but focus on making even better memories with the one you have found.
3. Go on dates. Lots of them. Go to new diners where you’ll steal the ketchup off his plate with your fries. Sneak into undiscovered parks in the night to steal secret kisses.
4. Gaze into his eyes and realize he looks at you like you threw all the shooting stars into the sky just for him to find, only to wish for you to be in his arms. Realize when you look into his eyes you feel a familiar warmth, you feel at home.
5. Never compare your second love to your first. Your second love is supposed to teach you all loves are different, and each one better than the last.
6. Allow yourself to fall into his arms with trust. He will catch you. He is honest and worthy of your trust. Remember each secret and story he shares. This is him beginning to trust you as well.
7. Do not hurt him, be kind and considerate, because just like you, he has suffered the pain of losing the first love. He is also scared of being hurt again. Care for each other.
8. Remember you will both make mistakes. You will both mess up and say the wrong thing once and awhile. Don’t give up, you know you’re both too crazy about each other. Always listen and always forgive.
9. When he sleeps beside you, hold him close and listen to his heart beating only for your ears to hear. In that moment you are the only two people on Earth.
10. Open yourself up and he will do the same. Make him not only your lover, but your best friend as well. Let yourself love and be loved again as though you had never been hurt at all, while still holding on to the wisdom you gained from that past pain.
Steps to falling in love, after you’ve fallen out. (12/02/2013)