Explained: warn Markiplier meme
- Markiplier is the nickname of the American YouTube personality Mark Edward Fischbach. He resides in Los Angeles, California, USA.
- On 28 July 2015, Tumblr user @watermelonjeager (since deactivated) made a text post titled, “This is an important message that needs to get out to Markiplier!” The user went on to say, “There is a gang war in LA. The first gang to get to 100 kills, gets to take over that part of the city. You NEED to be careful, Mark…. markiplier stay safe! <3”.
- This post garnered many notes, but did not become the source of a meme until much later in 2017.
- The post started gaining more attention in 2017 after Tumblr user @fakelaurent reblogged the post on 19 August 2017 and added an image of two people boxing. One of the people is captioned “Los Angeles Gangs” while the other person, seen in midair before falling to the ground, is captioned “Markiplier”. The reblog featured an addition made by another user who reblogged the post; the addition stated, “Please stay safe markimoo (@markiplier)”.
- Subsequently, users started poking fun at the original post made by Tumblr user @watermelonjeager. Posts warning Markiplier started showing up in late September/early October 2017. For example, a post published on 23 September 2017 states, “markiplier for the love of god stay safe”.
- On 5 October 2017, a post containing misinformation that Markiplier was dead started circulating. The post claimed that Markiplier “was killed today in downtown Los Angeles in the middle of a gunfight between two local gangs”.
- Further motivating posts was the fact that Markiplier started a series on his YouTube channel titled, “Who Killed Markiplier?” The first chapter of the series was posted on 10 October 2017.
- This meme may be considered a problematic meme as it makes light of gun violence.
- Click here to see examples of the warn Markiplier meme.