Exercise “does” deplete stores of glucose, glycogen and fats from the body’s tissues, but these fuels are “restored” when a person eats, “said” Michael Jonesco, a sports medicine and orthopedics “specialist” at Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center.
So I’ve been loving the “humans are weird” tag lately and I came up with one myself. Here goes…
Breathe in… Breathe out… The yoga soundtrack on Kenzie’s phone was interrupted by the nervous clicking of a member of the Ghrivak clan. Thnybux, a third-tier member of the clan, approached her on a swirling cloud, as was standard of the Ghrivaks.
“Human Kenzie,” said Thnybux, through the translator in her ear. “Human Kenzie, what are you doing? You will rip your flesh with those movements!”
Kenzie straightened from her yoga position and greeted Thnybux with the series of clicks common in the Ghrivak dialect. “This is called yoga. Humans actually need to move and stretch their bodies. It’s good for us.”
Thnybux regarded her with some confusion. “Do you know why the Ghrivak move only on clouds, Human Kenzie? It is because if we move our bodies too much, our bones will disintegrate from the forces of gravity on this planet. I do not understand this theory of movement. How exactly is it beneficial to your species?”
“Human muscles are connected to hard, quasi-living rods in our bodies called bones. These bones are created by specialized cells, and are both very lightweight and very strong. Our muscles are made of specialized cells, and when they are very minimally damaged, repair themselves so that they are stronger. If a human does not exercise, the muscles will die off, and the human will no longer be able to move.”
“Surely the force of these…muscles…on these living rods will shatter the rods?”
“No, our muscles are not that strong,” Kenzie laughed. “Our bones are much stronger than that. And humans break bones fairly frequently. It hurts but the bone just heals stronger. That’s kind of a theme in humans actually, when we get hurt we just heal stronger.” She returned to her yoga.
Thnybux hid xie’s fear from the human Kenzie, and took note of this new information. What kind of creature becomes stronger when it is hurt? Lesson number one: Do not anger the humans.
Hearing The Call to Adventure when you’re over 40.
There’s a seriously delightful conversation in one of the LARP fb groups about adventuring over 40. Many of us aren’t 20 anymore, and it seems silly to have our characters not be our own age (or close to it). But they’re still starting characters (as it’s a new campaign), which implies they chose this path recently.
That thread is mostly joking around, but I kind of love the idea of hearing The Call when you’re not a teenager, and starting your in-game adventuring life later as some kind of mid-life crisis, religious epiphany, empty nest reaction, etc.
Which got me to some ficlets, and here’s the result.
“Well, your mother always wanted to be an adventurer - she was a hell of an archer when we were your age - but we got pregnant, and your grandmother needed some help, so we put that life off for a while. But now that you’re off at university, it seems like a good time to pick up the bow again, and go fight evil."
“There was just something missing, y'know? I mean, I liked being a toymaker, but one day I realized - I really wanted to put on some plate mail, and go fight demons. So here I am, livin’ the dream."
“Sometimes, relationships don’t work out. She got the business, I get to start the life of adventure I’ve always wanted. Did you know I minored in alchemy? It’s good to get back into it again.”
“Your Aunt Maribel and I had always talked about doing this, when we were girls, but it just never seemed like the right time. But now that Uncle Haro has passed…Mari just wants to get out there and do it. I can’t let her go alone, can I? Someone has to watch her flank on the line, and remind her to keep her shield up.“
"What can I say? Sometimes you fall in love with a mage. When you do, you grab your hammer and you go where he goes. Someone has to keep cute Dukes from flirting with him. Back off, gentry! He’s all mine.”
“Kevin, you’re being ridiculous. I’m not going to fall in love with some Duke.”
“Whatever. I’m not taking any chances. It took me this long to find you, and I’m not letting you go without me.”
“I’m your Dad. If you’re going to go and fight evil, I’m going with you, ‘cause I support your choices.”
“Er…Mom’s heading off to check out some evil gate she heard about. Someone needs to go with her, ok? I squired for her last time, but I just can’t right now. It’s your turn. Make sure she does her exercises, ok? Her back is going to be horrid if she doesn’t.“
"Fine. I’ll handle the evil gate with Mom. But the next time she heads into the swamps to fight some lizard thing, you’re doing it. I freaking hate swamps.”
“His husband left him for an elf. He’s got some anger issues that he’s working through, ok? Better that he work through it on some bad guys.”
“What was that?” “Undead again.” “Oh, for the love of..look. They’re a freaking plague, and it’s getting worse. If we don’t want to keep dealing with this, we’re just going to have to go to the source.” “But….the carrots…!” “Hang the damned carrots. I’ll hire that nice boy down the street to take care of our field while we’re gone. Clean yourself up and grab your holy symbol. We’re not putting up with this for one more week.”
“Well, I always wanted to see the world. I got a small inheritance recently, and thought, why the heck not? No time like the present, right?”
“If that Sorcerer thinks he can just waltz in here and take over this town, he’s got another think coming!” “Doris, calm down. We’ll write to the King, and…” “I WILL NOT CALM DOWN. Sally, I swear, you drive me nuts sometimes.” “I’m just saying - there’s diplomatic solutions to this.” “The hell with diplomatic solutions! I WILL END HIM. ” “Fiiiiiine. Do it your way. End him with fire.” “Thank you!” *smooches* “Love you. Back when I’m back. He has NO IDEA who is coming for him.”
“What can I say? Adventuring pays the bills. I have a family to support, and turnip farming doesn’t make money like it used to.”
“Hey Phineas - for guys’ night, I have a thought. Rather than just going down to the pub like we usually do…I found a gate. No idea where it leads. Let’s go check it out. Could be fun, right?” “A gate?” “Yeah!” “This is a terrible idea. I’m in.”
“Um….well, this is awkward. You know that Goddess who spoke to me last spring?” “Oh yeah! Your whole conversion thing. Nice to see you found faith. It’s been good for you, I think.” “Well, she has something she wants me to take care of.” “What, like…a message delivered or something?” “Noooooooo?” “Seriously? You’re a florist. What does she want you to do?” “Well, now when I sing, things blow up. That’s good, right?” “This can’t end well.”
“We left for THREE WEEKS, and Barbarians razed our village. I swear, do I have to do everything myself? I JUST RE-DID THE ROOF, YOU JERKS.”
“He doesn’t think our family is good enough for him? I’ll show him who is good enough for him! My little girl is going to live in a castle, even if I have to conquer it myself!” “I’m sure he didn’t mean it that way.” “We’ll see what he has to say when I walk into Summertide with a demon’s head on a spike! Who’s good enough now, you two-bit merchant?!?”
“Your Aunt recently found out that Throgg the Destroyer is that brat she couldn’t stand at the Academy. She’s not taking it well, so we’re going to be off on a trip for a while…”
“So….funny story. You know that favor I owe the Countess? From like 20 years ago? She finally called it in. She remembered that I’m really good with Ancient Runes, and apparently there’s something she needs checked out.”
“I thought you said this adventuring thing was just a hobby, Brianna. Something we did on the weekends.” “Well, but…y'know…I really like it. I think I could be good at it. I’m getting better with the spear, you know?” “I don’t even know you anymore!” “Can’t you just be supportive?” “Well, but where does it end? First hobgoblins, now orcs…what’s next?” “I heard about this cursed tomb…” “Absolutely not. I draw the line at tombs. NO TOMBS.”
“I told you not to date that vampire. Didn’t I tell you? I told you!” “Let me live, Sergio.” “Let me unlive, you mean.” “Ok, that’s just rude.”
“Oh, sure - one good healing spell, and you think you can conquer the world.” “I can! I have the knees of a teenager again!”
“Grandpa, you’re embarrassing me.” “What, I can’t visit my grandson while he’s adventuring?” “Well, I love having you here, and everyone knows you’re a good healer, but…” “I’ll be fine. I like it here. I think I’ll stay.”
“C'mon, let’s do it. We’ve always wanted to.” “But…we don’t know what we’re doing.” “We do! We’ve each read The Book, what….15 times? I know you basically have it committed to memory.” “I don’t think 'To Catch a Rogue Lord’ was really meant as an instruction manual.” “C'mon…how hard can it be? You’ve seen the adventurers who come through here.” “Excellent point. I’ll get my herbs.”
“Honey? There’s a kid at the door. He says you’re the Chosen One.” “Arrrrgh. We talked about this! Come back later!” “He says the stars are aligned?” “Not doing it! Tell him to go away.” “Oh, and the seal broke. The seal broke, Stephen. It sounds important.” “But…” “I’ll pack you a lunch.”
“Call Sharon. She and her stupid birthmark are coming with me.” “I thought you said that translation of the prophecy was incorrect? Something about a miss-translation of verb.” “…well, at least if we fail, I won’t have to listen to Karl talking at Guild Meetings about how he was right.”
This post is dedicated to those of you who know someone with an eating disorder. Are you afraid of saying something wrong, and want to know what you should and should not say?
(It is very long, and for that I apologise.)
Please read the post with respect. This applies to both patients and their family/friends. Remember that no one are perfect. The person with an eating disorder is not using her/his eating disorder as an excuse to “be difficult”, it is a real and severe problem for her/him! Just as important to note is that family and friends are not mind readers, and they are not mean. Knowing that someone you love and care about have a life threatening mental illness, is a terrible situation to be put in, and most parents will do ANYTHING in their power to save their child from illness and death.
Below is a list (with explanations) about what to say, or what not say, to a person with an eating disorder:
- Do not ask yes/no-questions. If you ask a question such as: Can’t you just eat this dinner?, the answer you receive will likely be no, and the conversation abruptly stops. The answer you receive might also be yes, but be a lie.
- Do not ask leading questions. If you ask: There is no way to make you eat this dinner, is it?, the answer will likely be no. Leading questions come with a huge disadvantage: The person can feel forced to lie. Because you are giving her/him an ultimatum, but the eating disorder does not allow this ultimatum to be realized. Please note: I am not saying that family and friends should “play along” with the eating disorder. But I am saying that if you directly oppose it, there is a high risk that you could make things worse (aka make the eating disorder stronger instead of weaker).
- Ask open questions. This is the way to go. As opposed to the two prior examples, you could ask: How are you doing right now? Why do you think this dinner is difficult for you? Are you afraid of something specific? Is there anything I can do to help? As you can see, neither of these questions are yes/no-questions or leading questions. In other words, open questions like these will make room for honest answers. The person will feel safe that you simply want to help, and that you are trying to understand. You should also be clear that it is fine if the person cannot, or does not want to, answer the question. Be clear that you just want to show her/him that you care. You can also add that the person can come back to you whenever she/he feels like it, and answer the question later.
- Do not say “I know EXACTLY how you feel!”. Because unless you have had an eating disorder yourself, it is very unlikely that you know that. Ask open questions instead.
- Do not comment on other people’s body or weight. First of all, this is bad manners and can be very impolite. Secondly, for a person with an eating disorder, body, weight, and appearance is by far the most difficult topic for conversation. Body, weight and appearance are topics that can, and should, be limited to treatment settings. Plus; there is a major chance that the person already knows what you think of her/his body.
- Do not say “You look better!”. This is a tricky one. Hard to understand, even for people with eating disorders (believe it or not). Imagine this: You think you are chubby, overweight, or fat. In spite of this, your family and friends (sometimes also complete strangers) tells you over and over again that you need to gain at least 15 kilos/33 lbs. When you finally do gain, everyone are running in your direction to tell you that they can see you put on weight. I doubt that would feel nice for any person, eating disordered or not. And this is my point here. Almost all people with eating disorders see themselves as fat/chubby/too big. It is also very common that they want to become healthy, and want to fully recover, but still do not want to gain any weight. You should avoid this comment because it confirms (indirectly, and wrongly too, of course) that the persons greatest fear of all has actually come true, they have now become even fatter, chubbier, or bigger. It is very easy to understand why family and friends want to tell their beloved one that they look healthier! It is meant as a compliment, meant to be something mutually joyful. It took me years to be able to handle this comment. Believe me, I have tried multiple times and failed. I tried to feel happy about it, I tried to block out the voice that translated “you look better” into “you are the most obese person on earth”, I tried to control my own reaction to make people happy. It always ended with a fake smile, and a bunch of chaos. And relapse. I have had an eating disorder for years, and it took me quite some time in recovery to be able to handle the comment as well. Before this happened, I had to overcome all the hatred I harbored against my body.
- Do not comment on other people’s eating habits or -patterns. People with eating disorders are fully aware that they have different eating habits (or –patterns) than you, whether the difference lies in amounts or food types. First of all, the comment is unnecessary. Secondly, comments like these only contribute to the person feeling guilty: (S)he does not want to bother anyone, but now receives a clear message that that’s what (s)he does. Knowing that you worry people who love you, does not make the eating disorder loosen its grip. What it usually leads to, is the person wanting to eat alone or in secret, lie about food intake, or resort to purging/laxative abuse/(excessive) exercise. The same rule applies when/if the person eats what you think of as “too much” or “unhealthy”. Don’t bring it up. Just don’t. Leave the person alone.
- Do not talk about food during meals. I am not saying you should not express your joy over fabulous, tasty sauce/gravy. What I am saying is you should avoid saying things like: “I am so stuffed!”, “You must be very hungry!”, “Aren’t you having one more portion?”, “This is healthy!”, or “Nah, this is quite unhealthy!”. If the person actually tries to finish his/her dinner plate, you are transforming the effort into a house of cards: It could collapse any second. If you say “this is healthy”, the person might experience trouble eating tomorrow’s dinner as it is “less healthy” (because it contains more carbohydrates, for example). If you say “this is unhealthy”, you have potentially ruined dinner with immediate effect. In many cases, the person might resort to purging, (excessive) exercise, etc. to rid him-/herself of this “unhealthy” thing. The person might also “transfer” the unhealthy-label to many other food types similar to the one you just called unhealthy. If you say “aren’t you having one more portion?” it could make the person stop because it is made very clear that (s)he has already consume one whole portion. (While portion sizes are unlimited in recovery, because (s)he needs all the energy (s)he can get.) If you say “I am so stuffed!”, there is a chance that the person will make sure to eat just a fraction of the amount you eat. If eating less than you is too late, the person might resort to purging, (excessive) exercise, etc. to get rid of the “unnecessary” food.
- Do not talk about dieting, diets, healthy/unhealthy food, weight loss, or exercise. This is triggering to almost everyone. If you don’t feel too thin (to be “allowed” to do any of these things), why would a person with an eating disorder feel too thin? (This is how the illness works.) If you think you should diet, why shouldn’t the person with an eating disorder diet? It is very likely that the eating disordered person feels like (s)he is at least twice your size – even if YOU are twice HER/HIS size, for that matter. Be careful!
- Do not assume you need to tell other people what they are doing. It is not your duty, it is none of your business, and you are not the first one to point out what they are doing either. Most patients, no matter what illness/condition they suffer from, receive well-meant advice every single day. Sometimes even from people they have never met before.
Another important factor regarding this topis, is (well-meant) advice. People with eating disorders receive tons of (well-meant) advice day after day. We who have eating disorders, of course know that the advisor means well. That, however, does not necessarily mean that any of these advices actually help, and it is not necessarily a good idea to give the advice either. In fact, you should try to avoid giving advice as often as possible. I am not saying one should never offer good advice, but there may be several reasons as to why you should not give the advice at all. I recommend you use the following questions as a guideline: - IS this good advice? If so, why? In what way do you feel certain that this will make a (positive!) difference?
- Do you think the person has received this advice many times before? If so, do you really find it necessary to repeat the advice for the forty-fifth time? The least you can do is ask the person if (s)he has received the advise many times before, and if (s)he has, then drop it. Completely.
- Is your advice medically safe? Guaranteed? Or is there possibly any (slightest) chance that you are wrong? A good example here is exercise. Many patients in recovery are encouraged to start exercising. The argument is that exercise strengthens bone mass and increases muscle mass. That is true, of course, but it only applies to people without an active eating disorder! In reality, people with eating disorders should’nt exercise at all (in spite of all the wonderful health benefits), simply because exercise very often keeps the body in starvation mode (making it impossible to recover), and also because muscle- and bone mass are already broken down – if they are broken down even more (yes, this is what exercise does, it breaks down muscles), they are never given the chance to heal.
- Is there a chance that your advice has a triggering effect? If no, how confident are you? Have you had an eating disorder? Has the person told you in detail what triggers her/him? (If you feel any doubt at all, mention the topic first and ask if this could potentially trigger.) If the advice turns out to trigger despite trying the opposite, do your best to debrief the situation afterwards.
kirishima knowing about the slug incident (feeling even more inferior bc of it), this piece of info could mean so much to future development honestly? Did he know it was Baku n Deku? If not, how would he feel when (I'm betting that he will eventually bc dude its so interesting that I doubt hori would miss out on this) he found out? N if he found out later after this arc, will there be a talk either between Deku n Kiri or Baku n Kiri or both? This could be the start to helping Kiri for (1)
Kirishima Talking to Someone About His Feelings
Kirishima at least knows Bakugou was a part of the sludge incident because Bakugou is recognized by the media for that incident and Monoma talks about Bakugou being a victim of the sludge incident right in front of Kirishima.
It’s hard to say whether Midoriya got enough media attention from the sludge incident to get recognized by Kirishima.
Because the incident is so popular, there are probably pictures of Midoriya going around. Since Kirishima has so much respect for Midoriya for jumping in during the sludge incident, there’s a chance he may recognize Midoriya. Although, Kirishima doesn’t introduce himself to Midoriya until after Midoriya beats Bakugou during the Heroes vs. Villains exercise, so if Kirishima does recognize Midoriya from the sludge incident, it’s weird that he doesn’t introduce himself to Midoriya sooner.
Kirishima doesn’t seem to be the type of guy who’d fully open up about his inferiority complex unless he thinks he can relate to someone else. For instance, he opened up to Tamaki about it a bit when Tamaki is hard on himself.
He almost gives a thug his backstory when the thug explains how he wanted to get stronger.
Kirishima will openly be critical of himself in specific areas.
However, unlike Tamaki, Kirishima isn’t likely to truly open up to someone about how he really feels about himself. He doesn’t want to look like a whiner.
Ever since middle school, Kirishima has tried to maintain this loud and confident persona.
Kirishima has a heroic and manly image to maintain, so it’s unlikely he’d openly tell someone what he really thinks about himself without prompt.
Kirishima’s thoughts about himself are more brutal than the things he admits about himself out loud.
It may take a bit of time and effort for Kirishima to open up to someone. He doesn’t even seem to open up to his middle school friends about his true feelings.
Like you said, Midoriya and Bakugou seem like the two most likely candidates for Kirishima to talk to if he does open up about his inferiority complex. Fatgum and Tamaki are other possibilities as well.
I don’t think Kirishima will open up to Midoriya or Bakugou just because he knows they’re part of the sludge incident. Kirishima would most likely only open up to them if he feels like either of them will relate to his feelings and story. Midoriya’s and Kirishima’s backstory are similar, so they may connect over that. Kirishima and Bakugou also both have an inferiority complex.
I find it interesting that the sludge incident exasperated both KIrishima’s and Bakugou’s inferiority complexes.
If Kirishima does talk to someone about his inferiority complex, I think he’d do it with Bakugou.
Kirishima and Bakugou’s relationship has had more buildup and development than Kirishima and Midoriya’s relationship. Kirishima is around Bakugou more than Midoriya and has admitted some of feelings of inferiority to Bakugou. Bakugou is really perceptive. He’d figure out Kirishima’s issues and take the initiative to talk to Kirishima about it even if Kirishima doesn’t want to at first.
Furthermore, Bakugou is receptive rather than dismissive of Kirishima’s low self-esteem. He addresses Kirishima’s concerns and gives him advice. Bakugou’s words help create Red Riot Unbreakable and raises Kirishima’s confidence. Bakugou’s words mean so much to Kirishima that he recalls them days later.
Hanzo’s morning routines are a comfort–a necessity, even, a constant in the kind of live he now lives.
He has had a regular routine since he was a small child. The routine has changed over the years, but nonetheless retained some similarities: waking at 6:00 AM, cleaning himself and dressing, followed by training until lunchtime. Afterward, his schedule would vary depending on the day and his studies, but it was nonetheless fairly straightforward, unless Genji or some other incident would draw him out of his routine.
Hanzo has clung to his morning routines even through the past 10 years, which he has spent on the run, more often than not, and in areas that did not always facilitate his needs. He has changed around his habits a little now, but still wakes at 6, does his exercises, cleans up, and moves on with his day. It is important to him that he maintain some sense of normalcy, a tiny something in his life that he can always rely on.
Wake, train, clean.
One month ago, however, that changed.
Hanzo wakes, as he still does, to the gentle chime of the alarm on his phone. It is six in the morning, as always. He groans softly, ignoring the phone for just a moment longer. The bed is very warm, the blankets heavy and perfectly draped over his body, and it beckons him to drift back to sleep. But, what needs must.
Before he can reach his phone, however, another arm stretches across from behind, grabs the phone, shuts off the alarm, and drops the device again as though somehow offended. A body behind him resettles with a soft sigh, the arm coming to rest over his body.
“Keep tellin’ you to turn that damn thing off,” McCree grumbles. He nuzzles into the back of Hanzo’s head, seeming to bury himself in his hair and mumbling against the back of his neck.
“And I have told you,” Hanzo counters, without heat, “that it is important to wake early for the day.”
“Y’sure? ‘Cause I’m pretty sure I wake whenever I please and get by just fine.”
Hanzo laughs softly. “Come,” he bids, pushing up on his elbows. “It is time to train.”
McCree pushes up, only to shimmy up against Hanzo’s back and pull Hanzo back against himself. His hips roll gently against Hanzo’s lower back. “I can think of some better ideas,” he murmurs, lips pressed against Hanzo’s shoulder. “Forget runnin’. Stay with me.”
Hanzo has to admit, the idea is tempting. Before McCree, he had never had so much difficulty maintaining his morning routines. Now, with McCree in his bed–his entire life–his discipline is often not enough. Hanzo hesitates for a long moment, letting McCree’s hand stroke the length of his body from thigh to chest and back again.
Finally, Hanzo sighs, and he allows himself to be drawn back into bed. McCree chuckles, victorious.
“Knew you couldn’t resist me,” he says.
“Indeed. I cannot help but be charmed by your ridiculous bedhead and atrocious morning breath.”
McCree frowns comically at him, and Hanzo laughs and draws him down into a kiss to soften the blow. Morning breath be damned, he must admit that waking next to this man is a joy that he had never expected to treasure so deeply. It has been barely a month, yet he cannot imagine anymore waking to an empty bed, without someone–no, without McCree, for his presence cannot be substituted with another–there to greet him in the mornings.
“You know,” Hanzo says, as McCree breaks away to leave a trail of kisses down his neck, “this is the third time you have ruined my schedule this week.”
“Good,” McCree says. His mouth finds that spot behind Hanzo’s ear that never fails to make him sigh. “You need to relax more.”
Hanzo threads his hand through McCree’s hair, pressing him down and encouraging him to continue even as he complains, “But I have never been so … lazy before you. More often than not, you drag me back into bed before I can do anything.”
“Do you really dislike it that much?” Now McCree pauses. He lifts his head to look down at Hanzo, eyes bracketed by lines of faint worry. “‘Cause I ain’t makin’ you stay, you know.”
Hanzo meets his gaze, though he has to take a moment to piece together the change in mood through the sleepy haze of his brain. When he finally parses it, he shakes his head and cups McCree’s face in his other hand.
“No,” he says. “You–you are a welcome change. Please, continue.”
It is a simple statement, but for whatever reason, it makes McCree grin, wide and dazzling. McCree resumes his trail of kisses, from neck to chest to belly and further on, and Hanzo realizes that he wouldn’t mind never having his normal mornings again.
Since last year’s 365 days of journaling was so successful here’s a new one to complete in 2016!
Feel free to share and tag me in anything you upload for me to have a nose at - although this is not necessary. Enjoy!
1. Do you believe in New Year resolutions? If so what are your resolutions for this year? 2. Review of 2015 3. How could you help others this year? 4. How can you help yourself this year? 5. What do you want to achieve this year? 6. List ways to succeed personally this year. 7. Your personality traits. 8. List ways to treat yourself this year. 9. Describe your sense of humor. 10. Is your family supportive? 11. List 6 things you love about Winter. 12. Compare your present self to your past self. 13. Would you want to live in a city, suburb or in the country? 14. How would you like to be remembered? 15. Your star sign. 16. Write about a recent adventure or travels. 17. What are your three largest priorities? 18. Write a letter to someone you need to forgive. 19. My goal tomorrow is… 20. My strengths are … 21. Technology – good or bad? 22. What’s your motto? 23. List words you most overuse. 24. What have you sacrificed? 25. Spirit animal? 26. What makes you unique? 27. List the worst books you’ve read. 28. Would you want to grow up in the public eye? 29. How much self-control do you have? 30. What are your best character traits? 31. List ten simple short goals for this month. 32. What emotion dominates your life lately? 33. Who made you feel good this week? 34. I want to always remember…. 35. Do you believe in ghosts? 36. What hurts today? 37. In your imagination, what will the world be like in 50 years? 38. List of flowers. 39. List five acts you feel guilty about. 40. Walking in the rain is… 41. Did your parents sacrifice for you? 42. The things that make me laugh the hardest are… 43. How do you feel about your appearance? 44. How do you feel about Valentine’s Day? 45. List of favourite drinks. 46. Have you ever lost something valuable? 47. Ten ways I show those I love that I care are… 48. Do you like exercise? 49. What does forgiveness mean to you? 50. Dream job. 51. Recipe for a perfect night in. 52. List 10 things you love about yourself. 53. What you know about the day you were born? Tell any family stories that were told to you. 54. Summarise today using no more than forty four words. 55. A memory you wish you could forget? 56. Favourite colour? 57. Receipts of things you’ve bought this week. 58. List ten things that scare you about getting old? 59. Where do you escape to? 60. ‘I wish I could’ list. 61. Describe visits to your grandparents’ home. 62. Books or E-Books? 63. How do you feel about commitment in general? 64. What do you think is the greatest invention? Why? 65. List 5 actresses. 66. Describe your parents’ philosophy of raising children: discipline, rules and outlook. 67. I wish there were no more….. 68. Favourite family story? 69. Do/did you like school? 70. Your proudest moment. 71. 10 television shows. 72. If you had only one wish, what would you wish for? 73. Where is home for you? 74. Favourite restaurant? 75. Five Things I’ve Forgiven People For and Why. 76. List 6 things you love about Spring. 77. How do you like to be romanced? 78. How do you indulge yourself? 79. What is your favourite Saturday activity? 80. What famous world festivals would you like to attend? 81. Are you a wallflower? 82. How well do you take criticism? 83. Did you have a favourite blanket or toy? Tell about it. 84. List 5 actors. 85. Describe a typical day in school. 86. List 3 things that went wrong today. 87. How would you describe yourself? 88. What do you like best about your home? 89. What makes you a good person? 90. What did you most enjoy doing this week? 91. Do you let people in? 92. Tell about your favourite aunt or uncle. Were you close? What do you remember most? 93. How do you stand out from the crowd? 94. Which quality best describes your life–exciting, organised, dull–and why? 95. I want to forget… 96. Write a fan letter to your favourite actor/actress. 97. What historical figure do you most identify with? 98. My worst experience today was … 99. Whose advice do you seek in times of need? 100. Something you have always felt was missing in your life 101. Name one thing you always wanted to do, but haven’t. What has prevented you from doing it? 102.
Helplessness: that dull, sick feeling of not being the one at the
reins. When did you last feel like that –- and what did you do about it? 103. Favourite activities. 104. Do you feel lovable? 105. Review a book. 106. Today I overheard… 107. You karaoke/shower song. 108.
Explore the room you’re in as if you’re seeing it for the first time.
Pretend you know nothing. What do you see? Who is the person who lives
there? 109. A list of questions you would like to ask future you. 110. Go to the nearest window. Look out for a full minute. Write about what you saw. 111. Write about your school life, your grades, what you wish you had done differently. 112. List favourite desserts. 113. How important is loyalty to you? 114. List 15 characters from movies. 115. Your most embarrassing moment. 116. What’s on your calendar for tomorrow? 117. Best decision you’ve made? 118. ‘Things to try’ list. 119. Rainy days or sunshine adventures? 120. What would you do if money were no object? 121. Who do you relate with the most – your mother or father? 122. I’m thankful for… 123. Write about regrets you may have. 124. Create a moodboard that reflects today’s feelings. 125. Ten things you hold most dear. 126. Who was your first crush and what made them special? 127. When have you felt lonely? 128. Your most satisfying victory. 129. Something you have always felt was missing in your life 130. Write a letter to someone who believed in you even when you didn’t believe in yourself. 131. What does being a friend means to you? 132. How would you change the world to make it better? 133. What’s the most surreal experience you’ve ever had? 134. Favourite childhood memory? 135. Are you an emotional person? 136. A-Z list of favourite things. 137. When was the last time someone gave you butterflies? 138. Write about turning points in your life – what would be different now if you had made a different choice. 139. Is physical attraction important to you? 140. Is money important to you? 141. Explain why you chose your blog’s title and what it means to you. 142. Do you have/want any tattoos? Their meaning? 143. What did you learn this week? 144. Who are your heroes? 145. List 3 things that went right today. 146. How do you feel during a thunderstorm? 147. Do you forgive things easily? 148. Write about lost friendships. 149. My weaknesses are … 150. Favourite emoticons. 151. Are you more like your mother or father? 152. Night or day? 153. List of countries to visit. 154. Describe the area you live in. 155. A secret no one knows. 156. List of favourite languages. 157. List of favourite designers. 158. What qualities do you want in a romantic partner? 159. Research and find a new poem today. 160. List 5 things you hate/dislike. 161. Write something inspired by a recent dream you had. 162. What excuses keep me stuck? 163. Your lucky number? 164. List 5 animals. 165. Tell us about something you know you should do … but don’t. 166. Favourite animation movie. 167. Do you apologise too much? 168. List of things that stress you. 169. Favourite recipe? 170. When was the last time someone told you they were proud of you? 171. Favourite places visited. 172. Write about your childhood. 173. If your life had a soundtrack, like a movie, what songs would you include? Why? 174. Optimist or pessimist? 175. Take any poem or short story you find anywhere. Rewrite it in your own words. 176. How do you feel when you’re leaving home on vacation? 177. Open up a dictionary to a random word. Define what that word means to you. 178. List restaurants to visit. 179. Choose an animal. Write about it! 180. Write a celebrity crush list. 181. What are you afraid of? Why? 182. Five things I love about relationships… 183. Close your eyes and imagine the kind of world you would like to see. What is it like? 184. My best experience today was … 185. ‘Books to read’ list. 186. What does religion mean to you? 187. ‘Rainy day’ list. 188. The biggest challenge you’ve faced? 189. Your favourite instrument (to play/listen to)? 190. List of fears. 191. List of everything you’d like to say yes to. 192. Favourite pieces of art. 193. My worst experience today was … 194. Ten things that scare you about getting old? 195. List the cheesiest jokes you know. 196. When you look in the mirror, what do you see? 197. A character that you relate to. 198. List toys from your childhood. 199. What talents do you have? 200. List of unhealthy habits. 201. What is your favourite sound? 202. List things that make you feel safe. 203. Find an image in a magazine that reflects your current emotional status. 204. List 8 music artists. 205. When have you experienced heartbreak? 206. I feel most energized when… 207. List things that make you laugh. 208. Choose – Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games or Maze Runner? 209. List the 5 most expensive things you’ve bought. 210. Receipts from today. 211. If you could become an expert in any subject or activity, what would it be? 212. List of rituals. 213. Favourite authors. 214. List hobbies. 215. So far I’ve learned these lessons about life … 216. What’s the funniest thing that happened to you this week? 217. A moodboard of patterns. 218. Using 10 words, describe yourself. 219. Movie review. 220. What are your thoughts on camping? 221. What’s one thing you’d change about your appearance if you could? What’s one character trait you’d change? 222. What would your perfect day be like? 223. A fictional place you wish you could visit? 224. List of websites. 225. Favourite menu. 226. What are things you can do in 15 minutes or less that improve your mood? 227. Favourite fast food. 228. If you could get the answer to any question, what would you ask? 229. List things you find beautiful. 230. Describe your alter ego — someone who is your exact opposite. 231. 3 pieces of advice for past you? 232. What is your mission in life? 233. If you could go back and relive one day of your life, which day would it be and why? 234. What would you do if you could travel into the past? 235. What is the one thing you feel always brings out the good in people? 236. A quote that inspires you. 237. What relationships matter the most to you? How can you maintain and improve them? 238. What is your favourite room in your home and why? 239. Do you believe in the afterlife? 240. ‘Inside my bag’ list. 241. How often do you leave your comfort zone? 242. I am happiest when… 243. Cold or hot? 244. Do you believe one person can change the world? 245. Describe a time when you were brave. 246. Favourite Games List. 247. I’ve been putting off… 248. List ways to relieve stress? 249. When do you feel underappreciated? 250. Define your personal style. 251. List 8 things that you enjoy. 252. Did a teacher ever have a profound effect on you? 253. Three things I value about myself are…. 254. Random Facts About Me List 255. What role do you play in your family? 256. List sports you love/hate. 257. What would the title of your biography be and why? 258. A promise you have broken? 259. List the emotions you’ve felt today. 260. What effect does music have on you? 261. Favourite poem. 262. Doodle here. 263. Favourite piece of jewellery. 264. List 15 characters from books. 265. Are you hard on yourself? 266. Summarise the day in one sentence. 267. If and when I raise children, I’ll never… 268. Write about your first kiss. Was it everything you wished or hoped it would be? 269. Book review. 270. What does family mean to you? 271. Your favourite photo of you. 272. List of things that annoy you. 273. How productive are you? 274. What was the title of the last book you read? 275. List 6 things you love about Summer. 276. Doodle here. 277. What would you do if you knew you could not fail? 278. What did you learn today? What did you learn yesterday? 279. Shuffle your iPod, list first 10 ten songs. 280. Make a list of 30 things that make you smile. 281. I couldn’t imagine living without… 282. What would you do if you could travel into the future? 283. Quotes that ignite something in you? 284. I really wish others knew this about me… 285. Your biggest achievement? 286. I feel happiest in my skin when… 287. Organised or organised chaos? 288. List of everything you’d like to say no to. 289. Who inspires you? 290. List your top 10 movies. 291. Write the words you need to hear. 292. List your responsibilities. 293. What is your favourite holiday? What makes this holiday special? 294. Why you get up in the morning. 295. Tea or coffee? Why? Favourites? 296. What do you want to know about yourself? 297. List of House Rules 298. The biggest headline of today and your feelings on it. 299. My best birthday was… 300. List of things that make you worry. 301. Land or Sea? 302. My imaginary friend growing up was… 303. List 10 songs. 304. What is your passion? 305. What kind of day have you had, and why? 306. List of favourite subjects at school. 307. Most romantic date you’ve been on? 308. Tell about an event in your life that has caused a change in you. 309. Best thing that’s happened this month? 310. What’s the Most Memorable Thing You Ever Got in the Mail? 311. List of friends’ names. 312. What are your most prized possessions? 313. Favourite type of weather? 314. Who has had the most impact on your life? 315. List of favourite snacks. 316. What song have you listened to today? 317. List 6 things you love about Autumn. 318. Your feelings on war. 319. What are all your thoughts on god? 320. Make a list of 15 escapes you would like to indulge in. 321. What is a mistake people often make about you? 322. What makes you a bad person? 323. How your parents met. 324. What kind of day are you having, and why? 325. Favourite family photo? 326. I was most angry when… 327. List 10 skills you bring to a work environment. 328. What were your favourite picture books when you were younger? 329. A-Z list of things you’d like to try. 330. If you have brothers or sisters, how are you similar to them or different from them? What about with your friends? 331. What song was No.1 when you were born? 332. List of favourite childhood shows. 333. Do you follow fashion trends? 334. Your favourite season? 335. Can you be alone with yourself? 336. List of favourite magazines. 337. Your beliefs about Karma. 338. What’s something you disagree with about the way you were raised? 339. Growing up, what did you really want but never received. 340. Favourite lyrics? 341. Is love at first sight possible? 342. List 12 shops. 343. Have you ever been in love? 344. Favourite month of the year? 345. Do you have any family traditions? 346. Is Christmas a big holiday to you and your family? 347. Favourite Christmas images. 348. Who is someone you miss? 349. List of names you will by buying gifts for this year. 350. What are you planning to buy as a gift this year? 351. What’s the best gift you’ve ever given? 352. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received? 353. When did you stop believing in Santa? 354. Favourite Christmas song? 355. What are your initial thoughts when you hear the word ‘Christmas’? 356. Your Christmas shopping list? 357. Favourite Christmas song? 358. Favourite Christmas memory? 359. What does Christmas mean to you now? 360. How was your Christmas? 361. Do you celebrate Boxing day? 362. Would you change anything about this year? 363. List things you’ve learnt this year? 364. What have you achieved this year? 365. What do you want to achieve next year? 366. Things I am looking forward to next year…
Hello. This will be my first official article in my series on energy work or direct magick. Today, I’ll be discussing visualization and its uses for this purpose. I’ll also be discussing my own theories as to why visualization works so well for this.
Later articles will give practical, how-to information, but this one will be more theoretical. Much of what I’m going to say here qualifies as UPG, or at least just my own personal theories. Does it make sense to you? Read, and formulate your own thoughts!
I want to begin by saying that visualization is far from the only route to effective magick. Many people use other methods, and get great results from that. Also, not everyone can visualize. We all have different talents, and we use our skills differently.
Still, plenty of witches (like myself) do use techniques of visualization in energy work. It works pretty well for me, both for energy work and more traditional spellcraft. Most books on witchcraft include sections on visualizing, too, so it’s undeniably popular. Why is that? What makes this particular technique effective?
Cynics who hear about witches visualizing will often say something like, “Oh, so you’re playing pretend and imagining things. Okay.” While visualization does exercise the imagination, it has effects beyond mere imagining. After all, everyone uses their imagination. With witches who visualize, intent and focus takes the experience beyond imagination to create change in the world around them.
Most of us, when visualizing, reach a point where we cease to be able to control what we’re experiencing. This may sound scary, but for most of us, it is very subtle and not frightening at all. Much of energy work, after all, involves visualizing the flow of energy. This is, in the beginning of the exercise, wholly imaginative.
But, most of us find that, at a certain point, our visualization takes on a life of its own. While we can visualize and control (for example) energy flowing, it often does unexpected things or behaves in ways we did not predict.
So, visualization is more than just imagination. How does it work, then?
I think the explanation rests in the nature of energy itself. I myself believe that the force behind magick, the energy that makes it all possible, is conscious on some level. Not only that, but it reacts and responds to actions of our own consciousness. Thus, where our attention and focus goes, it follows.
This is true whether we’re visualizing, or just exercising our will. Of course, though, there’s inertia as well as other forces that direct this flow, as well. Thus, while we may be able to control it a bit, it will often do unexpected things. Again, this points to visualization indeed being “plugged in” to something beyond mere imagination.
Thus, visualization is a synthesis of sensing and directing energy. At least, that is my theory, and I believe that’s why it’s so effective for magick and spellcraft. The next article in this series will focus on using visualization and making the leap into sensing energy. Later articles will talk about directing it, grounding, centering, and more.
I know you have already done a lot of the ship posts (and they are all phenomenal and accurate af) but can you pretty please do Jesper and Wylan from six of crows/crooked kingdom? Xoxo <3 <3 I can't get enough of your writing tbh! Your such an inspiration, dude. <3 <3 <3 <3
I’m SO sorry this took so long, you’re such an absolute sweetheart and also christ I’ve never been called an inspiration before holy.. god
they’re genuinely so good neither of them would ever TRY to hurt the other, and they’re both so tender and apologetic if they ever do. I think I’m gonna have to say jesper though just because. he’s still a little stirred by his addiction (to trouble! to bringing two guns to a gun fight! to gambling! to love!) and he’s got some jealousy and sensitivity baked into him, bless him. I feel like he’d run a risk and break Wy’s heart by accident, a little bit
who is emotionally stronger?
a genuine toughie bc they’ve both survived and persevered so MUCH. I think in terms of immediate reactionary instincts, Jes is better at letting bad vibes roll right off of him. He’s made of smiles. He’s trouble and a good time rolled into a waistcoat. If you insult him he only gets stronger. Wy was raised in silk and champagne but he was raised BY an absolute monster so. he’s a very bruised peach. criticism pierces him v easily. Though in a more fundamental way, wylan has fashioned his past trauma into a shield. by the end of ck he’s building himself new emotional strength with his bare hands
who is physically stronger?
ohhh man. They’re both noodle boys. Wylan is too smart for exercise. Jesper does his fighting at a 20 metre distance from his target. Jesper is bigger than wylan but most of his size is gangly and delightful and awkward. I think jes could probably still beat wylan in a pinch, but I’m more caught up in how funny it would be to see them try to fight it out
who is more likely to break a bone?
man I’m tempted to say jesper just bc he seems like he would be…… brittle. I think he gets into scrapes a lot. I think wylan starts to get into p frequent scrapes by nature of being the sixth crow. I think the both of them are so busy worrying about each other’s fights that they neglect their own and trip off a building or smth
who knows best what to say to upset the other?
I think wylan can be a nasty piece of work when he’s pissed enough. like he may be a silk eared puppy but he’ll chew your shoes and track mud around if you forget to feed him. jesper doesn’t have a malicious bone in his body man, I think he’s a sarcasm queen and a joker but he’s definitely not mean
who is most likely to apologize first after an argument?
I think jesper’s constantly assuming he did something wrong and he sits down with wylan 100% serious like ‘babe.. im so, so sorry. I never wanted to be the sort of person who made you look sad like that, we’re past that, I truly made a promise–’ and wy would be like ‘what no I was sad bc a screw on my flute is loose and I couldn’t practice today’. but also yeah if it’s a serious fight they make up in a rush, and they laugh at themselves, and they use their energy for something better
who treats who’s wounds more often?
here’s the thing about the crows man, they’re always sustaining minor injuries as a team and it’s a win if they live, right? All I can picture is the roar of activity when they pull off a job and they come back limping and bleeding and swearing and crowing w joy, and jes and wy take their seats opposite each other and clean wounds, kiss foreheads, smooth back sweaty curls, squeeze hands, make promises. the routine, u kno
who is in constant need of comfort?
uhhh both of them (it’s always both my guy jot that down). Wylan has 16 years of shitty imposed self loathing to unlearn, and traumatic experiences all over him. jes has lost a lot (including his mom) and he struggles with addiction so like. yeah they both need comfort. they both wake up w the phantom feeling of a mother’s arms around their shoulders. they’ve both seen the very worst of humanity. They’re just two nervy, high stress kids trying to figure things out
who gets more jealous?
lmao WYLAN VAN ECK did y’all read his scenes in crooked kingdom that boy is NOT SHARING. he glared real holes in kuwei’s head guys. jesper tbh is a terrible flirt and a HANDFUL and wylan is happy. to have his hands full. no one else.
who’s most likely to walk out on the other?
who will propose?
u bet ur ASS it’ll be jesper. Imagine wylan’s blushing face…… he’d do it for that alone. tbh there’s probably a point in their relationship where jesper’s outrageous flirting isn’t enough to get that pretty blush from wylan like he’ll roll his eyes and shove jes in the shoulder and w/e but they have to have increasingly ridiculous conversations about kinks or w/e until that blush comes out. jesper’s like ‘dang. guess I gotta step up the romance. what’s the most romantic thing? marriage? marrying wylan? son absolutely where do i sign’
who has the most difficult parents?
lmao lm a o lmaooo Lmao LMAO lmao
who initiates hand-holding when they’re out in public?
I feel like depending on the social climate of Ketterdam, hand holding might not be on the table?? especially for two criminals associated w the bastard of the barrel like idk man I can’t picture it. they don’t want to draw attention to themselves (well i mean. jes wants to. but they can’t). I think they’re all about sly glances and the most obvious smirks you’ve ever seen, and brushing shoulders!! brushing shoulders are their makeouts
who comes up for the other all the time?
they’re always together man bf’s that blow shit up together and live together stay together so like they rarely have the opportunity to talk about each other. howEVER jesper probably mentions his boyfriend in the middle of a hand of poker w an inappropriate smile or gushes to w/e prisoner he’s breaking out of jail or makes Kaz’s day weird by trying to confide in him
who hogs the blankets?
wylan is exhausted w luxury and jesper is a child who wants to be held so he rolls over and then over again so that wy always wakes up to a lapful of boyfriend and a roll of blankets and he has to wait for jesper’s heavy sleeper ass to arise so he can get up to pee
who gets more sad?
booooth – jesper is understated sad with a side of unnerving frowns, wylan is a wobbling mouth and clenched fists. Sometimes they stay in the Wylan Van mansion and lock the doors so the maids can’t come in, and they bring the lavish decorative pillows into a heap on the carpet and feed each other sweets and rub each others backs and laugh and laugh the darkness away. wylan sketches. jesper poses. there’s scheming & kaz impressions. jesper is a storyteller and he imagines out loud what nina or inej are up to at that very minute, controlling gravity and hearts and the sea and their lives
who is better at cheering the other up?
see above ^^ they both go pro at the comfort olympics. Jesper is that little bit better though. He’s a sweetheart with all the right words in his pockets. He knows how to chop wylan’s dad down like the overgrown dead tree that he is. he knows how to flirt a smile onto wy’s face. he maybe lacks delicacy sometimes, but he’s so fun and wholehearted and warm that he can’t really go wrong
who’s the one that playfully slaps the other all the time after they make silly jokes?
this is canon y’all, jesper is a lecherous bastard and wylan is equal parts disdain and delight. he absolutely will slap a boy
who is more streetwise?
god bless wylan but he knows a hell of a lot less about the streets than jes. He’s learning fast by the end of ck, but he’s still very sheltered in a lot of ways. Jesper has a few years under his belt, and he’s.. like tbh he’s a part of a gang so. He’s seen a lot. He’s participated in a lot. He has a pretty steep list of kills, same as every other survivor out there. He’s detached from the deaths but he’s been on the other side of a lot of bullets that have crumpled people up and thrown them in the trash. He knows his business, too. He knows Ketterdam. Well. Wy knows the half of it Kaz wants him to see.
who is more wise?
Wylan is utterly brilliant and Jesper is wholeheartedly here for it. What was that line again? ‘you’re cuter when you’re smart’? Wylan can think his way out of just about anything, the world belongs to him. jsyk
who’s the shyest?
Wylan absolutely what a sweetie. I mean a lot of it stems from unfortunate self esteem issues and a history of being burnt but a lot of it is pure soul deep candy sweet embarrassment and not knowing what to do w his own cute face. He doesn’t know how to deal w people a lot of the time. he knows sheet music & formulas. he does not know how to look at a boy with beautiful lips all curled up at him and not pass out
who boasts about the other more?
jesper is loudmouthed usually and he’s that much more loudmouthed when he’s in love, catch him talking to anyone who will listen about wy’s stupid face
who sits on who’s lap?
jesper would definitely try it, don’t even test him, he would fold all his crane limbs into wylan’s lap and say ‘hello peaches’ and wylan would have to slide both of them onto the floor to escape his embarrassment. on a good day, jes’ll scoop wylan into his lap and he’ll feel quiet, for a while