i am having the absolute best time taking in all the Diana/Steve and Steve/Bucky fan art where Diana and Bucky bond over their idiot other halves named Steve whom they love, this is the unity we needed between DC and Marvel fans
Just got out of Wonder Woman. It was fantastic, of course, but our show sold out as we were waiting in line, so we had to get a later one and waited around about an hour.
During that time, I saw a little girl who couldn’t have been older than threebolt over to the life-size cutout of Diana the theater had, never speaking a word but just staring up at it until her father shepherded her away.
There was another little girl too, a bit older, and absolutely beaming in her Wonder Woman uniform- tiara, cape and all- with her mom next to her in a matching WW shirt.
So yeah. I definitely understood why my first show sold out and didn’t mind one goddamn bit.
OK…I’m already PISSED at the way people are responding to the TRAILER. Like the movie is not even out yet and its getting bad hype…why? Because apparently it isn’t feminist. Like let’s break this down into why this movie is amazing AND feminist:
1) The obvious…THIS IS A FEMALE DRIVEN SUPERHERO MOVIE DIRECTED BY A WOMAN. THE FIRST OF ITS KIND. Now that I’ve covered that…
2) Its Wonder Woman’s origin showing her on an island of women warriors run by women who are all strong and fierce and intelligent. I saw that much from the trailer. They train and fight like men, even better than men, and their main weapon can only be wielded by the fiercest warrior, who isn’t a man.
3) Wonder Woman chooses to leave her island to save her people and help the world as a whole. I’ve heard that she just ‘follows the man like a puppy’ but…when? Like in the trailer we see Steve crash on the island I believe during WWI which means that a pilot would 99% of the time be a man. And he comes to the island and tells her that bad shit is coming that will mostly likely kill her people, who she one day will rule over, and destroy everything she loves. WHO WOULD NOT LEAVE TO GO HELP SAVE THEIR PEOPLE? And she kind of has to go with Steve since he is her only link to the outside world, the only one who can help her. Her decision is not based on some ‘O I love him the minute I see him I must go and become a good little housewife’ its based on the knowledge that her land and people are being threatened and she will save them.
4) She is NOT a damsel in distress. She wasn’t one in Batman v Superman and she certainly doesn’t look like one now. She looks like she is going in to kick ass and save her people. I’m sure at some point in the film we will see one of those ‘haha a little lady thinks she can fight’ moments but you know what? She is going to fight them and kick their asses.
5) This movie is full of men at one point and I believe, based solely on the trailer, Diana is going to outshine them all, including Steve. Even if they rush a romance just because its in the comics and is canon I think it will just show how strong she is because he will most likely die in the movie and drive her to do more, to continue helping the world as a heroine, turning the ‘woman dies to drive man’s plot’ on its head which I love to see because it is a rarity.
Sorry for the rant but I’m so excited for this movie and I don’t want it ruined already by people who can’t let DC/superhero fans, have anything nice.
“Wonder Woman, she’s amazing! I love everything that she represents and everything that she stands for. She’s all about love and compassion and truth and justice and equality, and she’s a whole lot of woman.”
I know I’ve seen this same thing said about Wonder Woman in other places, but I have never seen a movie like this. And I’ve seen a lot of shows and films of the action genre that put women in title roles, but I’ve never seen a movie like this. And I don’t even know how to properly express it.
I understand now why I’ve seen people mention that women were in tears watching this film. I get it. Completely.
I’m completely in awe. I don’t even know how to express it.