hello everyone! i have decided to write this masterpost because this topic has always been quite important
to me: especially now in the summertime, i find myself packed in books i have to read for school and/or that i want to read for personal culture, but the time, as usual, seems to be never enough. Driven by the need of having social life, getting enough sleep, studying for next year’s school lectures and also read everything i want (and have to), i have managed to develop this method that allows me to do all my duties and still have enough time to read four books during a day. so here’s some steps that will defenitely help you find your time to read!
1. Try to wake up early. Maybe this wasn’t what you wanted to hear but it is fundamental if you want to have more time. If you are not a morning person, i suggest downloading the app alarmy (android download // apple download). I have been using it for ages and it really works for me - you simply take a pic of something before you go to sleep (for example i took a pic of the bathroom sink) and in the morning the alarm won’t go off unless you take the exact same pic, so that you are literally forced to get up. (I have a few methods to wake myself up in th morning, if you’re interested I’ll make a masterpost about this!)
2. Read as first thing in the morning This is actually quite interesting. Reading as first thing in the morning is incredibly beneficiant since it actually activates the brain cells and it makes you feel more awaken and productive since the very beginning of the day, expecially if you read something you deeply enjoy. I love waking up, washing my face and going back to bed to read half an hour or so The Art of Being Happy by Shopenhauer while i drink a glass of iced water. I truly reccomend you to try this because it really sets the tone of your day.
3. Read in between your study sessions. If you follow the pomodoro method you should be a step ahead in this point but even if you don’t, every day is the right day to start something new! The pomodoro method is basically a method in which you study for 25 minutes and then take a 5 minutes break. I have modified this method to make it more suitable for my needs, and so i usually study for 35 mins and then i have an 10 minutes break; during this break i manage to read some pages, and it motivates me both to work harder during the session and to remain focused!
4. Read half an hour before lunch and dinner and half an hour later. it seems pretty dumb but it is not: before and after a meal are possibly the times in our day where we are most likely to be distracted by hunger or by lazyness; so instead of forcing ourselves on doing work that wont’t be productive, a better option would be to just stop and relax our minds by reading. By doing this, we will gain two hours out of our busy day to read without wasting any study time.
5. Listen to audiobooks!!!! I literally cannot stress enough how convenient audiobooks are. You can do anything else but still be reading! Another way to take advantage of audiobooks is by having the book under the eyes and just listen to the audiobook and follow in the book. This lowers by so freaking much the chances of get distracted, and it will make the reading more fluid and, for some, interesting (Luckily, youtube is full of free audiobooks of almost any classic book you want to read so you won’t have to pay for audiobooks)
so, to conlude this masterpost, let’s do the math: We have 24 hours. Lets say we wake up at 6.30. We will read an hour and then we will start our day. We accomplish from 8 to 11 am 3 pomodoro study sessions with 24 mins of reading. Then we have half an hour before and half an hour after lunch. We manage to make 5 sessions form 2 to 7 pm, with 40 mins of reading. Another half an hour before dinner and half an hour after. If i’m not wrong, we managed to read about 4 hours before evening, without stealing any time to the study and having the whole night ahead to go to sleep early, have social life or, most likely, continue to reading for another couple of hours
If you have read all the way to here, i am so thankful for your existence and for your patience, I truly do hope this masterpost will help you!!! If you have any suggestions or question or anything feel completely free to message me ≧◡≦
It’s no reblog or the exact same pic, I have edited it and colored it completely new because there were a few things I was unsatisfied with but now it’s really pretty, it may not be as fancy as the other one but it’s still really nice.
She’s Wearing the Same Dress! OMG, what am I gonna’ do??
So the old story is if you show up at an event wearing the same dress as another woman there, one of you is going to feel very depressed. Fortunately that wasn’t the case here - I saw the woman on the left wearing the exact same dress as my pics in the center and on the right. Had we actually confronted each other at a party, we would have had to engage in the typical ‘cat fight’ to diminish the other. E.g, ‘Oh, I didn’t know they made this dress in such a large size! But it looks absolutely great on you. And the side lacing hides most of your stretch marks too!!’ And so on….
Tomorrow’s the 13th anniversary of Danny Phantom!
Me and my buddies will be posting a lot of the exact same pic of Danny all day. If anyone here doesn’t like this now is your warning to please BLOCK THE TAG or drown in the glorious celebration of our most sacred danno until April 4th.
See you on the other side gang!
waaait what shane boots are we talking about here??????
I’m talking about The Shane Walsh Boots™. He’s been wearing them literally since the day he started playing Shane. Mind you, he has multiple pairs of the exact same boots. Here’s a pic!
As recent as Walker Stalker on 10/28/17
And some quotes about his love of the boots:
“I’ve been wearing Shane’s boots, literally, they’re the most comfortable, most bad-ass boots I’ve ever put on in my life. I walked away after the first season with a pair and the second season, Eulyn [Womble] the wonderful costume designer, gave me three pairs to take home so I literally wear Shane’s boots every single day.”
“Every day I wear Shane’s costume boots. They are my only shoes. They are these huge police boots that have been ripped up and they’ve got blood and dirt all over. I love them. They’re super comfortable and I just like big boots. As soon as they let me try them on I asked if I could keep them. I’m not a big shopper.”
Anyway, yeah. Those are the Shane boots. He could literally walk on me with them and I’d probably say thanks. I ♥ the boots.
Random Shit about Sherlock Filming Locations in Cardiff
THE GAY PILOT
- 28 the Parade - what we affectionately called the Sad Gay Batman roof
- Mount Stuart Square – plot twist the boys had
their “walking into the twilight together” moment at Mount Stuart Square. The tree in the background has blossomed,
much like their love.
- National Museum Cardiff – you literally walk in
and are instantly assaulted by emotions because the staircases are the first
things you see. Also the gift shops are
filled with lots of bees.
- Ba Orient – it’s located in a pretty prominent
area in Mermaid Quay, so every time we walked past it, we made snide comments
about asshole Sebastian trying to having his dinner and Sherlock and his
boyfriend John busting in and being all yo son your co-worker DED. Also it is definitely not actually a sushi
restaurant named Ba Orient.
- Roland Kerr College/Cardiff School of Chemistry –
this is just really fucked up because it looks almost nothing like what you see
in the show. The two separate
buildings? Those don’t exist. That shit is all one giant circular building,
my friend. Visual effects are crazy.
- Heddlu De Cymru – aka Roath Police Station.
Obviously we couldn’t go inside where they filmed to see the exact location,
but we were outside it and it didn’t really look at all like a police
station. The outside of the building is
actually rather creepy. Also right as we
were about to get here, we walked past a London taxi cab (which looks
completely different from a Cardiff taxi cab) and it was suspicious as hell.
- Tredegar House – we actually made a day trip out
here at the end of the week that they used it for base and it’s super
precious. The last owner was a hilarious
gay man who reminded us of Mark and there is a dalek in the stables since they’ve
used it for Doctor Who.
- Cardiff City Hall
– we couldn’t go in because there was a wedding happening at the time. We mentioned that we should have brought
cufflinks for the occasion.
- School of
Optometry and Vision Sciences – there was nothing to see there but we kept
MANY HAPPY RETURNS
- Corner of Bute St
and James St – first of all, Bute Street takes up half of Cardiff. Seriously, it is the longest street in the
whole damn city and ends with, surprise surprise, Bute Park. Secondly, there is a salon in the corner as
Lestrade is walking called the Guy Christian Salon. There are a lot of these in Cardiff and this
is the first one I saw. The first time I
saw it, we were on a bus and I had just gotten there, unexpectedly arriving
after an awful four hour bus ride next to an asshole and I was exhausted,
irritable, and not fully with it. I saw
Guy Christian and was 100% sure it said Gay Christian. From that day forward, all Guy Christian Salons
were Gay Christian Salons. Also, this
exact spot on the corner is about a street away from Mount Stuart and if you
cross the street and keep walking about 400 odd feet, boom you’re at the drug
- National Assembly – it’s open to the public and
is designed to be a meeting place (hahaha good one, to quote hotsmug) and there
are exhibitions and a café. It’s
actually really aesthetically pleasing from the outside, no lie, and it looks
right out over the water in Mermaid Quay.
- The Packet Hotel Public House – it may look
cute, but they don’t serve food. Luckily
it’s right down by Mermaid Quay and there are 8000 restaurants down there but
SERIOUSLY WHAT KIND OF PUB DOESN’T HAVE FOOD.
- 111-112 Bute St – okay so the cool thing about
the drug den is that is actually looks like it could really be a drug den. Like you walk up to it and it does for the
most part look like that and we’re pretty sure it’s just empty buildings next
to it and it’s creepy as hell. It doesn’t
go in nearly as far as it looks and it’s in a really nice area so it’s kind of
random but cool whatever you do you drug den.
Also on one of the days we were in Cardiff Doctor Who was randomly
filming there too because why the hell not.
- Cardiff University Main Building – aka the
hallway of EMOTIONS. Fittingly this is
the science building so you’re literally surrounded by science classrooms as
you’re being assaulted on all sides by angst and sorrow. As you walk up and down, gently caressing the
walls and trying to hold in your tears, try and keep your weeping to a minimum
because this is actually a school and there are people trying to, you know,
study, but this also means that you’re not likely to get kicked out, which is
cool. They filmed on both corridors, but
the one on the left as you walk in the more familiar of the two.
- 10 Wordsworth Avenue – John and Mary’s flat is
hella adorable, no lie. It’s literally
in the middle of nowhere though so they’d both be bored out of their fucking
skulls in a minute. It was also really
weird just standing on the street staring at someone’s house, which is why we
didn’t take pictures of it.
- Kapu – sadly not actually a gay bar, but
apparently it is tropical themed. There
is a gay bar right down the road named, fittingly enough, Mary’s.
- Kitty Flynn’s – it’s super precious and sells
specialty beers and nibbles. We basically
sat down, had emotions, and left. It’s
about two doors down from Kapu.
- Cardiff Crown Court – appropriately enough, the
law courts are actually located here. If
they actually put a coffee kiosk here, it would probably do some bomb ass
business between the students and the police force, actually. Right across the street there’s a nice little
park (Cathays Park) where we decided John and Sherlock should get married
because it is super adorable and has a precious little gazebo.
- Charles Street –
the Christmas lights are definitely up all the time (they were up while we were
visiting in early August and there was no filming happening at all). Also this is the gay district in Cardiff which
is seriously excellent. Hotsmug and I
visited a gay bar on drag night on the next street over one of our nights
- New Theatre – we walked
past it. A lot. There really doesn’t seem to be anything all
that fantastically special about it, honestly.
University Students’ Union – this place is the most hospital looking place to
ever hospital. Seriously who the fuck
designed this place, what the ever living hell is wrong with them. That shit is eerie. Also we rushed through it because we were
pretty sure we were going to get kicked out.
I mean, it was also really cool looking…in a hospital kind of way. It just really creeped me out okay despite
the fact that it had a Starbucks.
- Mint and Mustard – actually looks like a really
cute place. We got off the bus for a day
at the beach and it was just right there.
We may have no idea what happened there, but the place looks adorable
and the food is actually pretty high class (nice one John).
- Portland House – right across the street from
the drug den and on the opposite side of it is Mount Stuart Square. It’s not as nice and fancy looking outside as
the pictures make it out to be. It
actually looks rather shit when you’re walking past it.
- St David’s Hotel – it’s the first five star
hotel in Cardiff (thanks, boat tour) and it’s basically jutting out into the
water. There’s…really not much else to
say because we’re frankly too poor to be able to tell you more.
- Mount Stuart Square – the pic that Arwel took of
the clock to troll us while they were filming at Mount Stuart is actually part
of construction that seems to be there all the time – hotsmug took pretty much
the exact same pic. Also, that vid of
Ben pretending to shoot the seagulls? He
did that because they are always around.
Making noise. Being a
nuisance. Because seagulls are rats with
wings. They are evil assholes. I hate seagulls and they are particularly awful
in the Mount Stuart area. And
appropriately enough, there is a very nice wine bar and book shop across from
the church at Mount Stuart where we found the book Swimming with Sharks. SYMBOLISM.
- Cardiff Bay Barrage – it’s actually in Penarth
and there’s a random ass restaurant thing right after you get off the bridge. The whole thing is pretty cool, like a
manmade canal type deal that opens the bay to the greater part of the ocean,
but apparently there was some controversy over it when it was initially
built. Regardless it took us about a
half an hour to walk there because there are no direct bus routes from the Quay
there and there was a food festival happening so our bus stopped earlier than
it should have so that was an extra fun adventure.
Well, hopefully you enjoyed this little
journey into the Sherlock filming places around Cardiff. All of the kudos to @hotsmugstache for a good portion of these pics and her and the flatmate for helping me create this post! Obviously this isn’t all of the locations,
but it was the ones we had the chance to visit and explore. Enjoy!