hi hun i was just wondering why you dislike cassandra clare and book magnus and alec? i don't mean to sound rude or prying i just want to be educated! thank you!
umm well there’s already a lot of stuff abt cc herself which you can find just by browsing the anti tag but in regards to book ma//lec specifically here’s the main reasons it’s shit (w/ comparisons to highlight why i hate them in the books but love them in the show bc that’s what people usually get mad about)
- alec was 17 when they started dating in the books and magnus was a grown ass man. disregarding immortality, magnus was an adult who made the decision to kiss and then immediately start a relationship with a teenager. magnus should’ve shut that shit down as soon as alec asked him out, he was the adult in that situation and even though they ‘waited until alec was 18′ to actually have sex it’s still gross that magnus wanted to fuck him when he was underage.
- compare this to the show where alec is in his early 20s (23 i think was said?), and a confident adult in a role of leadership. he figures out what he wants for himself and what he wants in terms of being with magnus, and then pursues it, and they actually take the time to get to know each other before ‘officially’ starting a relationship w/ each other
- alec is biphobic, lying, bullying and generally toxic towards magnus in the books. he finds out magnus dated camille/is bi and immediately freaks out, starts treating magnus like shit and accusing him of wanting to fuck everything that moves. he goes behind magnus’ back and talks to camille then lies about it, and picks fights over every minor thing because he refuses to trust magnus and hates the idea of magnus moving on after he grows old and dies
- show alec knew magnus had dated camille before they even met. his concerns about magnus’ immortality are rooted in the fact that it will cause magnus pain to watch him age and die, and his concerns about magnus having dated so many people are more along the lines of ‘we have these wildly different life experiences and i don’t feel like i’m able to measure up to what you might expect out of a relationship’ instead of ‘i don’t trust you not to cheat on me or leave me for the next pretty face’ which, is gross and biphobic. they’re open about all of this from the beginning, talk it out and decide to put in the effort to make it work
- book!magnus is pushy, manipulative and selfish. he guilts alec into coming out (im not answering your calls because im tired of being your dirty little secret, you should come out because I Love You etc.). he p. much spends the entire six books only caring about alec’s feelings when those feelings inconvenience him, and then instead of concern his response is annoyance (literally instead of being understanding abt. why alec was clinging to his crush on jace for so long he was like ‘im tired of watching you pine after someone who will never love you as much as i do’)
- show!magnus is more than capable of being petty (and this isn’t a bad thing at all!! @ the fandom please let him have flaws it’s a natural thing) but he would never never force alec to do anything that made him uncomfortable. he urged alec to accept himself but never tried to force him to come out (in 1x09 he basically offers to date him in secret bc he understands that it might not be safe for alec to be out in his current situation). his response to learning about alec’s fixation on jace was ‘there’s nothing to be ashamed of’ because he immediately understood the reasons for it. he’s genuinely concerned for alec’s wellbeing and encourages him without being uncomfortably pushy. at the same time he doesn’t let alec treat him badly and immediately withdraws himself whenever alec lashes out at him because he refuses to be anybody’s punching bag
that’s the main reasons, there’s other smaller things but. this is already long enough lmao so basically!!!! it’s just an all round unhealthy relationship for both of them and they’re miserable the entire time they’re together, but after they break up and get back together without resolving a single one of the problems that caused them to break up it’s suddenly sunshine and roses and true love. it doesn’t make any sense tbh