I used to do this thing when I would find myself so far gone into a ship that it was probably unhealthy so I would basically decide that I will read every piece of fanfic that exists and look at every piece of fanart and rewatch every scene 29384792019 times
As much as I love mutual pining and using it for every ship ever, I really don’t picture it applying to young, pre-relationship Baze and Chirrut
Because I imagine it as Baze being completely lovesick, head over heels pining, “I would die if he found out how much I love him but also he keeps accidentally flirting with me and doesn’t he know it’s killing me?”
meanwhile Chirrut never feels like this because he’s under the impression they’re already dating
Person A: *Is always angry, serious, and/or working, so is always frowning.*
Person B: *Exists.* *Smiles at A.*
Person A: *Smiles and stares for a second* *whispers to themself* Goddammit.
Person C: ????
So, I wanted to create an appreciation post for the ships that are scorned and receive hate.
For the ships that are treated with homophobia, and are belittled for no other reason than for being between two people of the same gender. The ships whose beautiful emotional developments are ignored, and instead stereotyped into false pictures of “lustful yaoi pairings,” which they are most certainly not.
For the ships that are overshadowed and ignored due to their more popular competition:
For the ships who, conversely, are “too popular,” or have “taken over the whole fandom.”
For the ships who are sent hate for ‘queer-baiting’ in spite of their beautiful, long-developed bond:
For the ships that are considered ‘abusive’ or ‘wrong’ because the characters have problems (and work them out, in DirkJake’s case!):
And the ships between two characters who are “clearly straight,”
(Yes, I have actually seen this argument used against Kagehina XD)
Because every pairing, no matter how minute, mainstream, or controversial, deserves respect. It’s okay if you don’t ship it. Hell, I don’t ship all of the pairings in this post. However, that gives you no excuse to behave with hostility towards the people who do.
(I will likely continue making edits to this post. I didn’t include every ship that has ever received hate, of course, and I may have mis-categorized a few of them. I understand that not everyone will like these ships for a variety of reasons, but I would appreciate it if everyone avoided any shiphate :)
- Page 127: “What’s up, Tommy?”, Newt exclaimed, his face filled with genuine happiness at the pleasant surprise that’d been sprung on him. Thomas couldn’t remember exactly how long it’d been since the last time he saw Newt. “You look bloody fantastic for three in the morning.”
- Page 159: you were saying again? Teresa asked. He felt every morsel of her evil glee. That’s a really nice dance you put on down there. Don’t worry, I have it recorded, ready to show Newt and everybody else next time we get together. “Not funny!”, he yelled out.
- Page 172: Thomas jumped at the sound [of Newt’s whisper], then stumbled. Newt tripped over him, and then they were both laughing, legs and arms tangled up in a pile on the ground.
- Page 248: He found himself thinking of Newt, maybe the one he liked most of them, not immune.
- Page 326: I’m coming for you, Newt”, Thomas whispered, so softly that no one could possibly hear him.