Auror!Harry partnering with non-Auror!Draco fic recs
• Eternally Consistent by kitsunealyc (44k)
Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter assumed they would never be anything but civil enemies, until Potter lands on Malfoy’s doorstep, bleeding, covered in curses, and acting very strangely indeed.
(Aaagh this fic is so good I can’t. The romance and love, the wit and sass and flirting. A brilliant Unspeakable!Draco, too. EVERY scene is my favorite!!)
• Settle in my slow-burning heartby Teatrolley (10k)
Five years after the war Draco is working a tech developer job in the Auror Office, and it’s all great except this one thing: Harry Potter works there, too. Things only become stranger when Harry starts bringing Draco ugly souvenirs back from his work travels. When Harry then shows up injured in Draco’s flat, Draco considers the possibility that he’s going insane.
(The writing style in this one! It kills me every time, I love the characterizations, Harry in particular being adorkable. So passionate, soft, and easy together.)
• The Light More Beautiful by firethesound (81k)
Thirteen years after Draco accepts Potter’s help escaping the horror of his sixth year, he returns to England where he makes the unfortunate discovery that Potter is still as obnoxious as ever. And worse, more than a decade overseas hasn’t been enough to dim Draco’s obsession with him.
(A++ favorite favorite favorite fic, it is hilarious with these amazing details, the pining is excruciating. Harry is an Auror instructor and Draco invents things.)
• When Hearts Are Freed by oldenuf2nb (23k)
When Draco Malfoy’s gallery is robbed and a priceless magical artifact is stolen, he finds himself working with Chief Auror Harry Potter to both recover the fabulous necklace, and to prove he didn’t steal it himself.
(I’m so happy with this fic, there’s assertive!Harry and romance and mystery and stolen kisses. The Romanov family jewels!! Such good writing too.)
• Nightcall by femmequixotic and noeon (116k) A hideously mauled corpse is found sprawled across the paving stones of Brick Lane in the East End of London. Inspector Harry Potter–widely believed to be the lead candidate for next Deputy Head Auror–is called in to investigate a possible magical crime. To make matters worse, his occasional lover and former school-nemesis, Viscount Draco Malfoy, now billing himself as a consulting criminologist, shows up at the crime scene to aid in the investigation of the suspicious death. Neither man will go away from the case unchanged, but will their combined forces be enough to fight the tide of danger that is sweeping London in the summer of 1910? And if they plumb the depths of the case, what bones of the past will they uncover? (I love this fic, it is the coolest thing, the case freaks me out and the Drarry in it gives me LIFE. Excellent writing, such passion, such an original setting.)
• The Darkness Before the Dawn by Ren (55k)
A mysterious creature is loose in London, stalking and killing people. Auror Harry Potter requests the help of a liaison from the Beast Division and gets saddled with Draco Malfoy. Will they be able to stop the creature before it claims more lives?
(YESS THIS ONE. They are so sweet together and they argue so much, Draco is all clever with the formulas, and the case is interesting. Very nice.)
• and Hope to Die by olimakiella (24k)
Strategically placed pieces of Wizarding artwork are going missing in the United Kingdom. Only, when the dots are connected to a darker plot, Harry learns that there are classified places in the Ministry that only few people get to see. And just what the hell is the Centre of Magical Intelligence anyway?
(Holy crap, I love this fic so much and this author is a fave. I’m so fascinated by all of this! Also, clever!Draco is amazing and Harry is a cinnamon roll.)
• the keys to your kingdom by thistle_verse (7.5k)
It was nothing so elegant as fucking, the first time they came together. It was teeth just a little too sharp— against a collarbone, on the right-side curve of a jaw, drawing blood from the plushest part of a bottom lip. It was the doorframe digging into the curve his spine was making of its own volition: closer, harder, more. Two hundred pain receptors per square inch in the human body and it was nothing but background noise in the explosion, the revelation, that was Harry Potter’s body against his.
(Hit Wizard!Draco and Auror!Harry flirting over corpses, gorgeous writing as can be noted above, and so much passion–what’s not to love?)
• Crossing Linesby Ren (47k)
While investigating a ring of smugglers, the Aurors receive a tip saying that the European Express is being used to move contraband across state lines. To solve the case, Harry has to unmask the smugglers and find the hidden contraband before the luxury train reaches Bulgaria. Draco Malfoy is also on board… but that’s just coincidence, isn’t it?
(This is such a cute and fun case fic! I enjoy the mystery, all the piniiing, the oblivious!Harry that is all over the place, and Draco’s sassy comments.)
• The Boy Who Only Lived Twice by lettered (54k)
Harry Potter is an Unspeakable. Draco Malfoy is the wizard who shagged him. Adventure! Intrigue! Secret identities, celebrities, spies! It’s all right here, folks.
(Unspeakable partners!Drarry because I love this fic and this author. The pining in this, the amazing feels, the pure affection. And the action!)
This scene kills me every single time… By far my favorite Supercat scene and that’s saying something given all the material we got in season 1.
Kara crying and trying to come to terms with Cat leaving. Cat struggling to not cry because she has come to care so deeply for Kara.
And you know what? This is what you do when an actor is no longer available to be on your show. You don’t kill them! You give them something that makes sense for them to leave. You give the character something that doesn’t reduce them to shock value.
Cat leaving was heart breaking, inspiring, beautiful and in character. Everything out of her mouth to explain why she was leaving made complete and total sense and while they were at it, they validated the relationship between Kara and Cat.
They aren’t just boss and employee. They have grown close. They protect each other. They inspire each other. They grew because of each other. And they care deeply for eachother!!!!
This is how you make a character leave your show… Fuck! This scene always gets me too emotional.